Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Guest DAVIDB69

Noticed the scottish league seem to be on a different course from the English leagues now.

Seems to be a let results stand so we can start getting money in for next season.

Said pages back but just don’t think new seasons will be allowed to start , until the big leagues have completed

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:
1 hour ago, Dele said:
Yes they did. Within a set transfer window. 
Is it fair that they would then get yet another opportunity to overhaul their squad before the season is out? 

It's certainly no less fair than just sticking a pin in the season at some random moment. Hearts are absolutely shite, and will finish bottom regardless, of that I have no doubt.

It's not random at all though.

Guest Flash

Had a look through the SPFL rules and I’m not sure whether any rule changes would be required to have the Championship and lower league placings decided as they stand now. There is a specific rule (C14) for the Premiership that says they should play 38 games in a season. There are no rules I can see for the number of games that have to be played in the other divisions. The only reference I can see to games that should be played is in G1 which says the Board will issue a fixture schedule prior to the season starting.

In the definitions, a “Season means the period of the year commencing on the date of the first League Match and ending on the date of the last League Match in the same season or otherwise as determined by the Board.”

I think two things could flow from that - you could argue that a Season will end on the date of the last scheduled fixture, so it could be interpreted to mean this season will end on that date whether or not any more games are played. 

However, even if that is wrong, it looks like the Board can determine when the season ends. Which could be 2 May or it could be 13 March or any other date they decide and it could be after any number of games. 

Rule G6 says that “So far as reasonably practicable the fixture schedule in the League... shall require clubs to play equal numbers of home and away matches.” Aside from only referring to the schedule, it could be argued that it wasn’t “reasonably practicable” for this to happen this season. So, the uneven number of fixtures wouldn’t necessarily prevent the season from ending.

The only potential rule changes needed I can see are in respect of the play-off competitions (that happen after the season ends) and the requirement for the Premiership to play 38 games. Even then, I’m not sure if the 38 game requirement can be “trumped” by the Board deciding to end the season before that. So, removing the play-offs might be the only rule change the clubs have to vote on. And it might even be possible to complete the play-offs before next season starts if the competing clubs are decided by league placings whenever the Board decided the season ended.

Incidentally, if any rule changes are required in respect of the Premiership/Championship play-offs, only the Premiership clubs get to vote on them, due to clause 61.2 in the SPFL Articles. So, if the proposal was that the Premiership/Championship play-offs should be cancelled, only the Premiership clubs get to vote on that. 

There seems a concern generally about football's progress from this situation in the context of what happens next season.

I don't think that should be a consideration until it is decided what is happening with the season which has presently been disrupted. Fans have paid to watch matches, football administrators have taken money from sponsors and media companies for the games completed, and I can't see how this can be cast away. There is a responsibility to find a solution to the present problem, not to think how season 2020-21 will progress. That can come with time.

1 hour ago, SandyCromarty said:

Surely you don't mean that, no fan want's to see their team relegated.

Courage mon Brave!

It’s not wanting to go down, it’s recognising that it’s deserved.

The season we were relegated we definitely deserved it.

1 hour ago, Granny Danger said:

It’s not wanting to go down, it’s recognising that it’s deserved.

The season we were relegated we definitely deserved it.

At last, something from you that all of Pie and Bovril can agree on.  I’m going to have to give you a greenie for that GD.

7 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

Read my post. I outlined why I think it would be unfair if it was not the same squad.

Dele is making the same point as well.

There's not going to be a perfect solution to this whatever happens, but do you really think completing the season with an additional transfer window in it would be a more unjust option than awarding promotion and relegation based on current standings or declaring the season null and void?

If finishing the season is possible then there's obviously a debate to be had about transfer windows and whether you allow players to move as normal or try to find a way to prevent players registering with other clubs until the season ends despite their current contracts expiring. However I'm struggling with the notion that an additional transfer window which may give clubs an advantage on the pitch would be an egregious injustice when not getting back on the pitch at all and either ending the season as it stands and relegating teams with a third of the season left or writing the whole thing off and leaving everyone where they are for another season are both serious possibilities.

It's clearly a considerably fairer option than either of those.

3 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's not going to be a perfect solution to this whatever happens, but do you really think completing the season with an additional transfer window in it would be a more unjust option than awarding promotion and relegation based on current standings or declaring the season null and void?

If finishing the season is possible then there's obviously a debate to be had about transfer windows and whether you allow players to move as normal or try to find a way to prevent players registering with other clubs until the season ends despite their current contracts expiring. However I'm struggling with the notion that an additional transfer window which may give clubs an advantage on the pitch would be an egregious injustice when not getting back on the pitch at all and either ending the season as it stands and relegating teams with a third of the season left or writing the whole thing off and leaving everyone where they are for another season are both serious possibilities.

It's clearly a considerably fairer option than either of those.

There isn't a fair solution. Both suggestions are unfair.

8 games isn't a third of the season incidentally.

9 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

There isn't a fair solution. Both suggestions are unfair.

8 games isn't a third of the season incidentally.

Right enough, no idea why I said a third rather than a quarter. :lol:

I agree, there is an element of unfairness in every suggestion. However we have to do something and if possible an option which allows placings to be decided on the pitch is clearly preferable to those that don't, even if that involves clubs getting an extra shot at a transfer window. There are differing degrees of fairness.

The president of Uefa Cerferin has released a statement stating that the Champions and Europa Leagues will be abandoned if the present coronavirus restrictions remain in place into September.

But he said that playing behind closed doors would be preferable to abandonment.

I take it that he implies that it is possible that large sporting or event/concert/festival gatherings could be banned until September.

While the games he mentioned would still attract big TV financial gains such a ban would have a devastating effect on smaller clubs given there would be no gate or major TV money for our games behind closed doors.

The president of Uefa Cerferin has released a statement stating that the Champions and Europa Leagues will be abandoned if the present coronavirus restrictions remain in place into September. But he said that playing behind closed doors would be preferable to abandonment.

I take it that he implies that it is possible that large sporting or event/concert/festival gatherings could be banned until September.

While the games he mentioned would still attract big TV financial gains such a ban would have a devastating effect on smaller clubs given there would be no gate or major TV money for our games behind closed doors.

Right Guys been banging ma head of the headboard all weekend trying to work a plan out and this is it  

1 Move to summer football April to Nov

2 Four Leagues of 14

3 All Premier team stay as is And add Dundee Utd And Inverness

4 All teams sitting in first and 2nd move up a League

5 Play each other twice home and away

6 have two cups Scottish cup and Betfred cup all in draw from round one

Would be working out approx 40/44 games per season

If your club were in Europe it could be as much as 55/60 games far too much in this day in football

So the long and the short is Summer football . And revamp The Four divisions

Let's go for it Now

Or maybe am just talking pish as normal

Sent from my Stolen Samsung s20