Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

This is technically not Championship but Celtic going on a jolly to Dubai has undoubtedly contributed to the government pressure. When folk are being told to stay at home unless it's essential they think they can import COVID to get a relaxing holiday. 

There's no mention in the statement but I'd imagine that's this years Scottish Cup suspended. Surprised they've not cancelled the competition.

Unless there's significantly controlled transmission in three weeks time I don't see the suspension being lifted and I can't see how you can promote or relegate from the lower divisions. Don't want to assume this year is a free hit at the Championship but I think that's the likeliest outcome.

If we test once a week from now to the end of the season that's going to be about £50,000. 

I also can't see league reconstruction not happening.

Edited by LeodhasXD

28 minutes ago, foreverarover said:
28 minutes ago, RiG said:
Three week suspension of all leagues below the Championship, as well as Scottish Cup games, with our league only able to continue if weekly PCR testing is commenced.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/?rid=13929

Our match v Dundee tommorow can go ahead as planned now.

I'm presuming that's not a serious suggestion, but obviously it cannot. No chance either club would be able to arrange testing and receive results for a squad by tomorrow night.

14 minutes ago, PB1994 said:

I think the season will end up getting scrapped. You can’t be promoting/relegating teams based on a 10 game season. It’s a totally different situation to what happened last year.

Well assuming the Championship opts to test and carry on I fail to see why there wouldn't be promotion and relegation from it to the Premiership. Other direction I tend to agree that League 1 wouldn't be able to nominate a Champion with any real merit.

3 minutes ago, renton said:

Presumably the championship clubs were informed of this development prior to the announcement and are happy to continue?

Can't really have a situation where most teams are happy to ahead and one or two aren't.

I very much doubt they were. It's no different from telling them to vote on when to start the league at all in the first place. That wasn't unanimous either. The majority won the vote and the others fitted in and got on with it.

2 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

There's no mention in the statement but I'd imagine that's this years Scottish Cup suspended.

Well, apart from the bit where it does mention it anyway!

The Scottish Cup will also be suspended, with any matches scheduled to be played prior to the 1st February to be rescheduled in due course.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I'm presuming that's not a serious suggestion, but obviously it cannot. No chance either club would be able to arrange testing and receive results for a squad by tomorrow night.

Well assuming the Championship opts to test and carry on I fail to see why there wouldn't be promotion and relegation from it to the Premiership. Other direction I tend to agree that League 1 wouldn't be able to nominate a Champion with any real merit.

I very much doubt they were. It's no different from telling them to vote on when to start the league at all in the first place. That wasn't unanimous either. The majority won the vote and the others fitted in and got on with it.

Presumably then there needs to be a vote on whether the championship clubs are happy to continue, or want to be suspended as with the lower leagues?

Just now, renton said:

Presumably then there needs to be a vote on whether the championship clubs are happy to continue, or want to be suspended as with the lower leagues?

Yes, there will have to be. And it will pretty much have to be today if they want to play on Saturday I'd think. They'll need to organise testing which will need to be carried out by Wednesday to get results by Saturday.

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I just think the Government will end up suspended all professional football even if they are being tested if positive cases don’t slow down in the next few weeks, which would lead to the divisions being null and void.

Yes, there will have to be. And it will pretty much have to be today if they want to play on Saturday I'd think. They'll need to organise testing which will need to be carried out by Wednesday to get results by Saturday.

We've been doing our testing so far this season on the Thursday and then getting them back Friday afternoon.

Is the figure that donald finley was suggesting last summer of around 5k a game accurate? If it is (and i imagine it’s not far off) i can see the championship being suspended as well. Clubs might afford a few games at that, but not all games.

Queens test players regularly I thought the majority of full time teams do .

Now on to the part time teams in our league do they test there players .?

A bit of a problem with them as they can't be in a bubble like full time players but I suppose as long as they are tested it might be okay 

Just now, buchan30 said:

Is the figure that donald finley was suggesting last summer of around 5k a game accurate? If it is (and i imagine it’s not far off) i can see the championship being suspended as well. Clubs might afford a few games at that, but not all games.

I think the tests have gotten cheaper since the beginning

Just now, buchan30 said:

On the other hand, all the clubs got the 500k in grants, plus the 50k from the Hearts boy.

To be honest, should the season have to end now then I would be happy with either of the three options - 

- League Reconstruction - This makes the most sense to me. Although the leagues from Championship and below aren't halfway yet I feel that it's in everyone's best interests that we just extend the amount of teams in each league and possibly revert back to the current setup down the line. 

- Null & Void -  I'm not a fan of this option, but I would think this would have an even better chance of happening this season compared to last. 

- Calling the leagues as is - Least favourite option. I don't think you could judge the Championship and below from the amount of games played thus far, however to avoid sounding like a hypocrite should this be the answer then I can't complain. 

1 minute ago, Northfield 53 said:

Queens test players regularly I thought the majority of full time teams do .

Now on to the part time teams in our league do they test there players .?

A bit of a problem with them as they can't be in a bubble like full time players but I suppose as long as they are tested it might be okay 

Full time players aren't in a bubble either. They've got partners/flatmates and have to go to the shops like anyone else. The most significant outbreak at this level so far has been at Morton and it just so happened to coincide with a huge spike in community transmission as well.

The protocols provide a veneer of security when the reality is that if it is transmitting in the general public then it is going to spread in a professional football squad as well.

3 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:

We've been doing our testing so far this season on the Thursday and then getting them back Friday afternoon.

If you are using Cignpost like everyone else they guarantee a result in 48 hours. They almost always do have it in 24 hours but they don't guarantee it. Waiting to Thursday for everyone won't be an option. I assume you've got away with that because the full time teams are testing earlier in the week. Which will still work I guess but not if everyone does it.

With £500k being given to them, this scenario looks to have been on the cards for some time.