Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Said a couple of months back that there would either be crowds back or a bailout. The surprise for me is the level at which it’s been done and the fact that they haven’t indexed it to crowd size (the only realistic way of estimating loss of earnings).

I thought Morton would have got somewhere in the region of 200k and we’d have been grateful. 500k (if it turns out to be that straightforward) is extraordinarily generous for all but Hearts.

Never thought I’d hear myself think this, but the structure looks unbelievably harsh on the likes of Thistle and Falkirk. 150k is better than a boot in the baws, I suppose, but the clubs they’ll be hoping to compete with next season are now likely to come out of this in a much more stable position.

Thanks, Nicla...

5 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Said a couple of months back that there would either be crowds back or a bailout. The surprise for me is the level at which it’s been done and the fact that they haven’t indexed it to crowd size (the only realistic way of estimating loss of earnings).

I thought Morton would have got somewhere in the region of 200k and we’d have been grateful. 500k (if it turns out to be that straightforward) is extraordinarily generous for all but Hearts.

Never thought I’d hear myself think this, but the structure looks unbelievably harsh on the likes of Thistle and Falkirk. 150k is better than a boot in the baws, I suppose, but the clubs they’ll be hoping to compete with next season are now likely to come out of this in a much more stable position.

Thanks, Nicla...

Have to agree that the Championship payment is too large. Closer to £350k, with £200k to League One, £125k to League Two, and according increased payments below that. That would seem a better distribution scheme, as the smaller teams could very effectively deliver an economic stimulus with local payments, while preserving jobs. 

9 minutes ago, Snafu said:

ICT CEO Scott Gardiner today in the Inverness Courier is asking for a rule change to allow players to have a shower after a game and also allow the players to have a pre match meal. The concern is that players might fall ill having to travel for hours after playing in potentially saturating and freezing conditions, with Caley Thistle invested in a resolution with the amount of traveling they have to do on a regular basis.

I would add although Gardiner is focused on his own club, I would point out this is the same for any away team traveling up to Inverness or any team traveling a fair distance back from a game.

Also mentioned that over the next three weeks all the hotels are shut so clubs who have to travel distances and stay over night before the game. I've had a look at the fixtures and this will affect Queen of the South who are due to play us on a freezing cold Tuesday night in January a few days before the lockdown is lifted. It probably means they will have to travel up the same day and back down the same day. We have Dunfermline up here on the 29th as well.

https://www.inverness-courier.co.uk/sport/caley-thistle-calling-for-rule-changes-about-using-shower-facilities-222713/

We would almost certainly have travelled up and down same day anyway. Staying up after the game is pointless and staying up before it is a complete waste of a day on a midweek game. We may have stayed up for a 3pm game.

I agree that not having showers, particularly when travelling distances like ICT v QoS is far from ideal but I'm not really seeing the "won't somebody think of the children" "dangerous" side of it! And I've no idea what on earth Miles Story thinks they "got away with" because it wasn't raining! He appears to be saying it would be dangerous to get wet on Alloa's plastic pitch (so not muddy) but wouldn't be dangerous to get wet in the shower. It's not illegal to dry yourself and put warm clothes on Miles. Maybe someone should tell him in case he's just climbing into the car with his wet football kit on.

1 minute ago, Snafu said:

Thing is there's plenty of us on the forum who have played football in the worst conditions. Also you don't need a hot shower after a game to warm up. Drying off with a towel and then and change of clothes followed by a warm down. What do the army do to keep warm in these conditions with out the luxury of a hot shower? Hot food as well, but it doesn't need to be prepared by a chef in a 5 star hotel. Even a hot mug of cup-a-soup would do.

What do the army do? Fucksake!

4 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Exercise to keep warm, which is logical. Teams will warm down anyway.

I don't think it will come to anything like that LOL

We will probably postpone if the weather is going to be shite.

Maybe away teams could crawl on their bellies out to the bus with the kit hamper on their backs.

52 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Maybe away teams could crawl on their bellies out to the bus with the kit hamper on their backs.

Fund raiser? Sell the chance to shoot a machine gun full of 999 blanks and 1 bullet over the team crawling under some barbed wire to the bus? Depending on the team and fans, they might pay higher to aim at the home team!

They aren't less deserving (although the argument could be made that they should be, given they took the unnecessary decision to start playing again). Why are they more deserving though?

If they hadn’t started playing again then they’d be hitting the taxpayer for furlough money.

Without knowing the wage structure of every team it’s impossible to say exactly how much the furlough claims would be but the overall totals are going to be of similar magnitude

Merry Christmas

• 3 weeks later...

Three week suspension of all leagues below the Championship, as well as Scottish Cup games, with our league only able to continue if weekly PCR testing is commenced.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/?rid=13929

Three week suspension of all leagues below the Championship, as well as Scottish Cup games, with our league only able to continue if weekly PCR testing is commenced.

https://www.scottishfa.co.uk/news/scottish-fa-board-confirms-three-week-suspension-of-professional-football-beneath-spfl-championship/?rid=13929
Our match v Dundee tommorow can go ahead as planned now.

4 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Can see the suspension happening to the championship also,
As an Arbroath fan I think the only fair way is to void the season now with no promotion or relegation

As someone who would rather visit Gayfield over a three sided dump in Grangemouth every day of the week, I completely agree.

Edited by vikingTON

6 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

Can see the suspension happening to the championship also,
As an Arbroath fan I think the only fair way is to void the season now with no promotion or relegation

I think the season will end up getting scrapped. You can’t be promoting/relegating teams based on a 10 game season. It’s a totally different situation to what happened last year.

All jokes aside and even if they did relegate and promote sides based on current position I do think it would probably be the correct decision to scrap it with everything going on,

I think the season will end up getting scrapped. You can’t be promoting/relegating teams based on a 10 game season. It’s a totally different situation to what happened last year.

Presumably the championship clubs were informed of this development prior to the announcement and are happy to continue?

Can't really have a situation where most teams are happy to ahead and one or two aren't.

6 minutes ago, lichtiekev said:

All jokes aside and even if they did relegate and promote sides based on current position I do think it would probably be the correct decision to scrap it with everything going on,

If they are able to get 18 games played then I think you could justify ending the season with promotion and relegation but I think football will be suspended before that happens.