Jump to content
Granny Danger

Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You went straight in at the low end - I'd bet the majority paid the £9.60. (I paid £10.77 since it was through paypal). 

Going from a club update they posted in April - their average attendance is under 200 and of that 200, 60% of it were concessions.

The closest equivalent I can find to a similar positioned club is their replay vs Morton which attracted 497 paying fans at £12 a pop which would have had considerably more outgoings than yesterday's event.

As I say, it's certainly not a money spinner but some will be doing not too badly if those sorts of numbers could continue.

If the £9.60 includes VAT, the club only gets £8. 

Agree with your main point, though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Ludo*1 said:

You went straight in at the low end - I'd bet the majority paid the £9.60. (I paid £10.77 since it was through paypal). 

Going from a club update they posted in April - their average attendance is under 200 and of that 200, 60% of it were concessions.

The closest equivalent I can find to a similar positioned club is their replay vs Morton which attracted 497 paying fans at £12 a pop which would have had considerably more outgoings than yesterday's event.

As I say, it's certainly not a money spinner but some will be doing not too badly if those sorts of numbers could continue.

Vat and paypal fees are irrelevant here. Thats not money the club gets. Are you saying that some people paid less? If so vat still applies so the club take would be even lower. 

I imagine a visit from Dundee would be well above an 'average' crowd, bothe due to being a bigger name and likely a three figure travelling support. Costs would be a bit higher due to stewarding obviously but I doubt they are better off by streaming. They probably arent much worse off either though. 

A low supported, extreme distance, club is going to be an outlier though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Vat and paypal fees are irrelevant here. Thats not money the club gets. Are you saying that some people paid less? If so vat still applies so the club take would be even lower. 

I imagine a visit from Dundee would be well above an 'average' crowd, bothe due to being a bigger name and likely a three figure travelling support. Costs would be a bit higher due to stewarding obviously but I doubt they are better off by streaming. They probably arent much worse off either though. 

A low supported, extreme distance, club is going to be an outlier though. 

Brora charged 2 separate prices. Originally it was £8 but they changed website and changed the price midweek.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Brora charged 2 separate prices. Originally it was £8 but they changed website and changed the price midweek.

Bizarre, but in that case their early take was only £6.67 per person. And an away buying support from Dundee wont be typical either obviously. In 99% of cases streaming income will be below actual gate receipts, well below it in most cases. We probably took about 50-60% of what a home game v St Mirren would normally bring yesterday and thats more than I expected to be fair.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Our game against Brora was on a Tuesday night in December yet Ludo tries to use it as a valid comparison to a Saturday game had there been fans. There'd have been about ten times the Morton support there had it just been three days earlier instead: I'd expect Dundee to have taken a decent crowd to an off the beaten track season opener as well. Plus there's a large bar space at Brora that may well take revenue for the club as well.

The idea that they've done much better from having 700 folk paying for a tenner  stream and getting to keep half of it is ludicrous.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Bizarre, but in that case their early take was only £6.67 per person. And an away buying support from Dundee wont be typical either obviously. In 99% of cases streaming income will be below actual gate receipts, well below it in most cases. We probably took about 50-60% of what a home game v St Mirren would normally bring yesterday and thats more than I expected to be fair.

That fact you are even getting within spitting distance of 50% of the “normal” gate total is actually both surprising and heartening. Granted, that’s skewed by the ST holders not getting the stream for free, and the novelty of the situation. It does suggest that for league games there should be a chance of seeing a tidy little sum, even if it’s nothing like gate revenues, especially for teams with a big following...and every penny will count!

Edited by TxRover

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 27/07/2020 at 17:47, virginton said:

The statement to 'the Partick family' more than makes up for it: it's the final, delicious course in their season of humiliation.

ainsley-harriott-birthday-lorraine-a.jpg.c764bbf957abb54428cdf8b5f8f41081.jpg

 

Bump.

'Partick Thistle Family Club' follow up last season's truly show-stopping banquet of fail by losing their big derby match to fellow seaside league no-hopers 'Clyde' on the opening day. 

c57e3948-9f2f-4d4a-ba19-eacc096bdc44.jpg.808069f67eb1192ee8102bc4420c30cf.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, virginton said:

Bump.

'Partick Thistle Family Club' follow up last season's truly show-stopping banquet of fail by losing their big derby match to fellow seaside league no-hopers 'Clyde' on the opening day. 

c57e3948-9f2f-4d4a-ba19-eacc096bdc44.jpg.808069f67eb1192ee8102bc4420c30cf.jpg

League 1 forum for that pish!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A random thought that popped into my head...

With the clocks going back tonight, we’re getting ever closer to the time of year where floodlights are needed for at least part of the second half  

Do you think we’ll see a few clubs opting for 2pm kick-offs to try and minimise the chance of needing the floodlights on, or at least reduce the amount of time they’re on for?

Anything to minimise costs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:


Nice try but

I suspect Peter Lawell’s not going to allow that

Yeah, not until we are in a play off spot. That was the deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, The Master said:

A random thought that popped into my head...

With the clocks going back tonight, we’re getting ever closer to the time of year where floodlights are needed for at least part of the second half  

Do you think we’ll see a few clubs opting for 2pm kick-offs to try and minimise the chance of needing the floodlights on, or at least reduce the amount of time they’re on for?

Anything to minimise costs. 

It'd be silly if they didn't. Absolutely no reason to stick to the traditional 3pm kick off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently from Monday any club based in a "Tier 1" area (expected, at best, to be just County/ICT/Elgin to start with) will be allowed crowds in.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently from Monday any club based in a "Tier 1" area (expected, at best, to be just County/ICT/Elgin to start with) will be allowed crowds in.

Good news although for fans like me who no longer live there we'll be stuck watching bald linesmen for a while yet.

Edited by RiG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 24/10/2020 at 14:02, The Master said:

A random thought that popped into my head...

With the clocks going back tonight, we’re getting ever closer to the time of year where floodlights are needed for at least part of the second half  

Do you think we’ll see a few clubs opting for 2pm kick-offs to try and minimise the chance of needing the floodlights on, or at least reduce the amount of time they’re on for?

Anything to minimise costs. 

It would make perfect sense, it's an open goal for cost cutting.

Carlisle hosted Southend at 1pm recently and are playing Exeter away at 1 on Saturday. This is because it's better for the players in terms of travelling back after the game but the added benefit of not needing to use the floodlights is obvious.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm all for 3pm kick-offs as usual but just not turning the floodlights on. We'll be as effective at defending set-pieces in darkness as we are in daylight and we might be able to sneak past the opposition at the other end.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 28/10/2020 at 08:21, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently from Monday any club based in a "Tier 1" area (expected, at best, to be just County/ICT/Elgin to start with) will be allowed crowds in.

I think this is correct.  The table in Annex 1 of the SG document says "Stadia – open with restricted numbers" for level 1. 

Worryingly (but maybe not surprisingly) it says the same thing for level 0.  I hope I'm wrong, but my understanding is that level 0 is the best we can expect without widespread vaccination.  That may explain the steps Dundee United and Peterhead are taking.  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-scotlands-strategic-framework/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...