Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

6 minutes ago, Yenitit said:

No because it isn’t in the rules 😉

Ha! But you see the issue.

Maybe from now on clubs will offer contracts for a season and not specific dates?

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Surely you (and he himself of course) value him more than that.

We apparently knocked back decent bids in January for him from them, but if they were to come in with a big bid for him and offered him much increased wages now then he'd surely be off. We'd love the cash (the sum that the club would agree to would totally write off last season's losses and more) and he of course would love the massive wage increase and the chance to play at a higher level.

I'll be gutted to lose him, but I think (sadly) that he's played his last game for us. We haven't a striker this good at this level since Andy Kirk, or Stevie Crawford before that.

11 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Ha! But you see the issue.

Maybe from now on clubs will offer contracts for a season and not specific dates?

Good point tbh. The only problem is if the wages were salaried and this were to happen again the players would take a hell of a hit financially. If the wages were still monthly the club’s would take a hell of hit financially unless they were run correctly like Keyes and Nelms do at Dundee!  I therefore couldn’t see this happening. 

Edited by Yenitit

Just now, DA Baracus said:

We apparently knocked back decent bids in January for him from them, but if they were to come in with a big bid for him and offered him much increased wages now then he'd surely be off. We'd love the cash (the sum that the club would agree to would totally write off last season's losses and more) and he of course would love the massive wage increase and the chance to play at a higher level.

I'll be gutted to lose him, but I think (sadly) that he's played his last game for us. We haven't a striker this good at this level since Andy Kirk, or Stevie Crawford before that.

Agreed, the lad's a massive talent who I was constantly posting on this forum about desperately wanting coming into this season. I noticed the mental money United were supposedly offering him in January, impressed he was loyal enough to stay. Hope he doesn't go there personally as I like him as a player and want to keep liking him.

I don't think you have to worry about him leaving during this season though, I can't see any way any more fixtures are actually completed.

Just now, Yenitit said:

Good point tbh. The only problem is if the wages were salaried and this were to happen again the players would take a hell of a hit financially. If the wages were still monthly the club’s would take a hell of hit financially unless they were run correctly like Keyes and Nelms do at Dundee!  I therefore couldn’t see happening. 

I suspect that clubs could also insert clauses that would cover this sort of situation. This might seem like a once in a lifetime situation but with an increasing population (and the numbers mean it can only increase exponentially) it could become much more likely.

As per your point about running a club correctly, I imagine more teams will take out that sort of insurance now.

1 minute ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Agreed, the lad's a massive talent who I was constantly posting on this forum about desperately wanting coming into this season. I noticed the mental money United were supposedly offering him in January, impressed he was loyal enough to stay. Hope he doesn't go there personally as I like him as a player and want to keep liking him.

I don't think you have to worry about him leaving during this season though, I can't see any way any more fixtures are actually completed.

I don't know if he knocked back any offers in January, but know the club did. Hibs were looking at him too. 

Aye I don't think any more fixtures will be completed either, but that's why I think he's played his last game for us.

Unless it is with the same squads, and that would surely be hard to enforce, resuming the season in a few months if just as unfair as other options. You could have Hearts chucking cash at some players to make big signings to save them from relegation, and/or could sign up their relegation rival's best couple of players. Likewise Partick Thistle. Falkirk could potentially sign Raith's best two players. Dundee United could buy Kevin  Nisbet (quieten down Dundee fans!) and knacker our faltering playoff push (although we're doing a good enough job of that already, and we'd probably be fighting to avoid the other playoffs if he left). And so on and so on.
Clubs have got to where they are on the basis of their current squads, and teams have prepared for playing each other on that basis too.
Can you make players who are out of contract next month sign an extension? 

We tried chucking cash at players in January

Unless it is with the same squads, and that would surely be hard to enforce, resuming the season in a few months if just as unfair as other options. You could have Hearts chucking cash at some players to make big signings to save them from relegation, and/or could sign up their relegation rival's best couple of players. Likewise Partick Thistle. Falkirk could potentially sign Raith's best two players. Dundee United could buy Kevin  Nisbet (quieten down Dundee fans!) and knacker our faltering playoff push (although we're doing a good enough job of that already, and we'd probably be fighting to avoid the other playoffs if he left). And so on and so on.
Clubs have got to where they are on the basis of their current squads, and teams have prepared for playing each other on that basis too.
Can you make players who are out of contract next month sign an extension? 

Why does it need to be the same squad ?

It used to be that transfers were allowed at any time

27 minutes ago, Dele said:

You've just asked and answered your own question. 

No he's not.

In saying how things once were, he's not at all explained why it couldn't be again, in the current extraordinary circumstances. 

And of course, neither have you.

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No he's not.

Are you advocating changing the rules (which then allows teams like Hearts) to throw loads of money at signings - just to finish a season - much to the detriment of teams like Hamilton? 

Would you find that fair? 

Are you one for changing the laws surrounding the game during a season, @Monkey Tennis

Edited by Dele

20 minutes ago, Dele said:

Are you advocating changing the rules (which then allows teams like Hearts) to throw loads of money at signings - just to finish a season - much to the detriment of teams like Hamilton? 

Would you find that fair? 

Are you one for changing the laws surrounding the game during a season, @Monkey Tennis

I'm not advocating anything, but clearly certain rules will need to be altered or waived, whatever route is pursued. 

I do know however, that the fact that something was allowed before doesn't automatically mean it must forever be dismissed,  which was of course your dopey claim.

15 hours ago, kdyteejay said:

Yeah, over the last few decades you were a model club.

15 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Thank f**k you showed up, this conversation was missing the pointless contributions of a moron since weetoonlad stopped posting for a bit.

It was a close-run race though, he only won It by two posts.