Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

I see that all contact sports at the professional level in Scotland are now allowed to resume, provided there is "screening" (e.g. temperature checks) upon entry.  Not sure if this means that testing is no longer a requirement, but certainly that's how I read it.  

On 28/06/2020 at 10:10, WATTOO said:

Yes, I agree with this completely, however given the current circumstances and quickly developing situation I don't see why any business should still be closed come October.

I think the only businesses closed by then will be my line of work, big events, aside from that I think everywhere will be back up and running. Certain local businesses near me are “at it”, they could have opened a few weeks back but aren’t opening until Aug. I heard from one employee that her boss told her he’d wait to then so his staff got furlough pay rather than him paying them full wages. There’s maybe some football clubs thinking along the same lines 

23 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I think the only businesses closed by then will be my line of work, big events, aside from that I think everywhere will be back up and running. Certain local businesses near me are “at it”, they could have opened a few weeks back but aren’t opening until Aug. I heard from one employee that her boss told her he’d wait to then so his staff got furlough pay rather than him paying them full wages. There’s maybe some football clubs thinking along the same lines 

Yes, I also know a few guys who've asked and been allowed to stay on furlough so they can do "homers" and get their 80% tax payer funded pay as a bonus.

not bad work if you can get it..............

49 minutes ago, super_carson said:

I see that all contact sports at the professional level in Scotland are now allowed to resume, provided there is "screening" (e.g. temperature checks) upon entry.  Not sure if this means that testing is no longer a requirement, but certainly that's how I read it.  

Source? 

Premiership clubs are allowed to begin full contact training as of today as long as they comply with relevant protocols. Championship and lower are not currently allowed as far as I know. Nothing new today on SFA or from the Joint Coronavirus Response Group as far as I can see. 

Source? 
Premiership clubs are allowed to begin full contact training as of today as long as they comply with relevant protocols. Championship and lower are not currently allowed as far as I know. Nothing new today on SFA or from the Joint Coronavirus Response Group as far as I can see. 

There were a few articles I read, only happened a couple hours ago. Let me see if I can find a link...

33 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

No point taking people off furlough if your immediate income and profit don’t benefit your business , football clubs will not bring players off furlough until they really need to start training , anything other than that would be a financial nightmare 

Source? 

https://sportfirst.sportscotland.org.uk/articles/next-step-for-athletes/

Of course, the full update hasn’t been published as far as I can tell so it’s possible some of the caveats and conditions aren’t listed.

3 minutes ago, super_carson said:

https://sportfirst.sportscotland.org.uk/articles/next-step-for-athletes/

Of course, the full update hasn’t been published as far as I can tell so it’s possible some of the caveats and conditions aren’t listed.

Thanks. Interesting to see how and when anything further filters to football. Ultimately the SFA are sole arbiters of the resumption of professional training. Contact training and closed door friendlies were only allowed for Premiership from today. The clubs cannot return to training until the SFA mandate it and only on compliance with whatever conditions they require. I cant imagine it will be far away though.

Albeit I dont see Championship clubs returning till mid August anyway. 

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

BBC said full contact training in the top flight could start today, but testing was still required.

Thanks. Interesting to see how and when anything further filters to football. Ultimately the SFA are sole arbiters of the resumption of professional training. Contact training and closed door friendlies were only allowed for Premiership from today. The clubs cannot return to training until the SFA mandate it and only on compliance with whatever conditions they require. I cant imagine it will be far away though. Albeit I dont see Championship clubs returning till mid August anyway.   

No, I don’t expect the start date to change either. It was more interesting the comments about screening.

In terms of rugby, the lads I know at Edinburgh/Glasgow who are back at Murrayfield haven’t been doing testing as far as I know , but all of their work has been socially distanced and outdoors fitness and conditioning.

Wonder what these changes mean for different sports from tomorrow.

No football will come back until the furlough scheme ends, no point thinking of playing behind closed doors in the lower divs - SPL may get through with TV money for a short while. Think the gov/SFA need to say 'testing no longer needs to be done' in order for things to progress. See that an airport type scanner is being trialled at Wimbledon FC costing £18,000.

11 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

No football will come back until the furlough scheme ends, no point thinking of playing behind closed doors in the lower divs - SPL may get through with TV money for a short while. Think the gov/SFA need to say 'testing no longer needs to be done' in order for things to progress. See that an airport type scanner is being trialled at Wimbledon FC costing £18,000.

I’m assuming you are referring to the thermal scanner portals, which have one big problem. Roughly 40% of COVID-19 cases seem to be asymptomatic, which also includes NOT running a fever, despite being a potential active spreader.

This is where we get into demographics and fitba. We know from the 2016 survey that almost 10% of fans are 60+, and its likely to be higher as their participation in a survey conducted online is less likely from older age groups. Also, over 40% of fans are Professional or Senior Management, a highly educated group likely to have more concerns about the current pandemic. Given that this probably puts about 25-35% of fitba fans in a class unlikely to attend games while there is a significant chance of infection, we have an interesting double-edged sword here.

If attendance demands are only 50-70% of “normal”, social distancing and various arrangements are a little to a lot easier. However, that also means revenue is likewise lower by a similar amount, while expenses are (hopefully) lowered by a lesser amount.

12 hours ago, Andy groundhopper said:

The SPL won't be doing anything given it ceased to exist years ago.

15 hours ago, TxRover said:

I’m assuming you are referring to the thermal scanner portals, which have one big problem. Roughly 40% of COVID-19 cases seem to be asymptomatic, which also includes NOT running a fever, despite being a potential active spreader.

This is where we get into demographics and fitba. We know from the 2016 survey that almost 10% of fans are 60+, and its likely to be higher as their participation in a survey conducted online is less likely from older age groups. Also, over 40% of fans are Professional or Senior Management, a highly educated group likely to have more concerns about the current pandemic. Given that this probably puts about 25-35% of fitba fans in a class unlikely to attend games while there is a significant chance of infection, we have an interesting double-edged sword here.

If attendance demands are only 50-70% of “normal”, social distancing and various arrangements are a little to a lot easier. However, that also means revenue is likewise lower by a similar amount, while expenses are (hopefully) lowered by a lesser amount.

If clubs have still been progressing towards having a viable streaming service up and running then fans who don't want to physically attend should still be able to watch the games at a reasonable price. Your claim that professional classes are more likely to be concerned about attending likely has little bearing in reality: again, this isn't the US and so a virus hasn't been embroiled in your pathetic, partisan and all-encompassing culture war. There's really no accounting for the degree of risk that people find acceptable to take in this context: some people are freaking out on the basis of tabloid and social media hype alone; others understand that the current risk level in Scotland is remarkably low compared to just a couple of months ago.

Edited by vikingTON

Wigan the first club to go into admin due to the pandemic. Surprised a few up here haven't already done so. Timely reminder that clubs are hanging on here by an absolute thread. Grim times.