Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, SJP79 said:

Any word on the BBC Scotland allocation for Championship games ?

They'll need to wait for the fixture list to be published.

I suspect that Hearts will feature in most of the games.

Edited by DA Baracus

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Well that depends what you mean by "normal". Social distancing rules, face coverings, no bar service, limited numbers in shops will all apply. That's not "normal". It's a step towards it and that's great news, but it's not normal and we're a bit away from being able to go to football grounds in the manner we did before. Still there must be great encouragement that we're not going to be locked out to January and some form of attendance should maybe be allowed by October.

That's why I said "too far off some sort of normality", I'm not naive enough to think we'll be back to business as usual in August, but it does give a bit of hope that we may be in a position to have a number of fans back in grounds earlier than previously predicted. Agree though that it is very encouraging in that it looks certain we will have football as we know it back fairly soon.

Edited by Dee-funked

28 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

That's why I said "too far off some sort of normality", I'm not naive enough to think we'll be back to business as usual in August, but it does give a bit of hope that we may be in a position to have a number of fans back in grounds earlier than previously predicted. Agree though that it is very encouraging in that it looks certain we will have football as we know it back fairly soon.

Well yes, but you quoted a post from me which was addressing 10,000 saying we'd be "back to normal" by August on your way to saying it. I'm just pointing out that why my conclusion in that post is what it is. I'm not disagreeing with you.

On 23/06/2020 at 17:39, UpInTheAyr said:

See the schools could be back in full in August. Could open the doors for football crowds too surely

That would be sensible. Kids at school, folk back working in close proximity Mon-Fri, the likes of Silverburn heaving with shoppers. No need for us to be watching shitty streams from behind closed doors. Make us wear masks if need be 

12 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Aye, they should have had us starting the same time as the Scottish Premierleague. A fcking ball ache having to to wait until Oct and having 9 less league games 

Better to be cautious for a single season than risk the financial future of clubs and players.

Folk really need to have a bit of patience and realise it's (probably) a one off situation.

There may still be scope for things to be brought forward from October, maybe not in line with Premiership start date but certainly to some degree. Very positive statement from SFA/SPFL.

The Betfred Cup is the obvious candidate to get shoehorned in earlier, as i) it's going to be a massive pain in the arse to schedule otherwise and ii) many clubs wouldn't run with a full squad of players for its first stage in a regular season anyway. Clubs will be offering new deals to contracted players from next month but I'd be surprised if they're willing to complete their squad before furlough and the transfer window ends in October. The Challenge Cup will presumably be put on hiatus for a season. 

If pubs and travel are actually going to become a thing again then I can't see football being desperately needed until September anyway. 

3 hours ago, Dee-funked said:

After today's announcement of being able to go to shopping centres on 13th July, inside pubs, restaurants and hairdressers from 15th July, I don't think we're going to be too far off some sort of normality in August.

Be careful what you wish for. Here in good ‘ol Texas, we started opening stuff up in May. We are now at 50% for bars, 75% for eating, and masking and 6’ between stations for hairdressers...and the illness rate is shooting up. Now, there are plenty of differences, in that we barely slowed the curve before our moron Governor started relaxing rules, but as rules loosened, people have got very lax on distancing and mask wearing. In some circles, it’s a sign of weakness or Communism to wear a mask, and plenty of places don’t require it.

As the rules relax in the UK, COVID fatigue will be in full effect, and you will likely see a second wave. If you’re lucky, people learned from the first go around and it won’t be too bad, but if you have buffoons like we have I charge, it could get sticky quickly. I suspect that some lessons from the world will shortly be evident from the gatherings that have been occurring in the US...a Presidential rally, some big church events, and such. So far, every one has proven, after a couple of weeks, to be a super spreader event. If Donnie’s Tulsa event shows similar results, I would expect notice to be taken worldwide of the inadvisability of large crowd events for the foreseeable future.

For football, that will mean closed doors, or extremely limited crowds, through at least December. The probable catalyst for change in this outlook would be effective treatment or a vaccine.

24 minutes ago, virginton said:

The Betfred Cup is the obvious candidate to get shoehorned in earlier, as i) it's going to be a massive pain in the arse to schedule otherwise and ii) many clubs wouldn't run with a full squad of players for its first stage in a regular season anyway. Clubs will be offering new deals to contracted players from next month but I'd be surprised if they're willing to complete their squad before furlough and the transfer window ends in October. The Challenge Cup will presumably be put on hiatus for a season. 

If pubs and travel are actually going to become a thing again then I can't see football being desperately needed until September anyway. 

Could be an excellent way to test out precautions and procedures. Especially if they elect to use neutral venues of larger sizes to allow good distancing and full control of the circumstances. The lessons learned there could be rolled out for the early season games and tuned to get bigger crowds later on.

37 minutes ago, virginton said:

The suggestion I read in one of the papers the other day was that the Challenge Cup would potentially be played in the second half of the season and that both it and the League Cup would be voluntary this season.

21 minutes ago, TxRover said:

Be careful what you wish for. Here in good ‘ol Texas, we started opening stuff up in May. We are now at 50% for bars, 75% for eating, and masking and 6’ between stations for hairdressers...and the illness rate is shooting up. Now, there are plenty of differences, in that we barely slowed the curve before our moron Governor started relaxing rules, but as rules loosened, people have got very lax on distancing and mask wearing. In some circles, it’s a sign of weakness or Communism to wear a mask, and plenty of places don’t require it.

As the rules relax in the UK, COVID fatigue will be in full effect, and you will likely see a second wave. If you’re lucky, people learned from the first go around and it won’t be too bad, but if you have buffoons like we have I charge, it could get sticky quickly. I suspect that some lessons from the world will shortly be evident from the gatherings that have been occurring in the US...a Presidential rally, some big church events, and such. So far, every one has proven, after a couple of weeks, to be a super spreader event. If Donnie’s Tulsa event shows similar results, I would expect notice to be taken worldwide of the inadvisability of large crowd events for the foreseeable future.

For football, that will mean closed doors, or extremely limited crowds, through at least December. The probable catalyst for change in this outlook would be effective treatment or a vaccine.

Comparing US and UK is like comparing apples with pears. We've not seen an upturn in positive cases from the numerous protests or VE day celebrations either.

4 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Comparing US and UK is like comparing apples with pears. We've not seen an upturn in positive cases from the numerous protests or VE day celebrations either.

No, it’s like comparing an apple seed to an apple tree. At the current time, the UK is in a position where the virus has been substantially stopped, finally, and can possibly responsibly proceed to resume normality in a controlled manner. In the US the virus has never been stopped in the majority of the country, contract tracing is notional (at best), and a shitload of dumb motherfuckers won’t take basic precautions because the bozo leading the band keeps calling it the “kung flu” and suggesting masks are a sign of weakness.

An unrestricted reopening in the UK would likely develop along the lines of the US reopenings in the South, catastrophic.

There must surely be some scope to change the Championship plans? We’d manage a 36 game season starting in late August without much hassle.

Seems a bit futile to sit doing nothing until October because that’s what was decided in June. Aside from anything else I’d be fairly surprised if we still have the same low levels of Covid in October.

23 minutes ago, Paco said:

There must surely be some scope to change the Championship plans? We’d manage a 36 game season starting in late August without much hassle.

Seems a bit futile to sit doing nothing until October because that’s what was decided in June. Aside from anything else I’d be fairly surprised if we still have the same low levels of Covid in October.

The worry is we’ll sit twiddling our thumbs to Oct waiting for games, and by then the flu/cold season will be starting and the SPFL will be knicker wetting about that 

8 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

The worry is we’ll sit twiddling our thumbs to Oct waiting for games, and by then the flu/cold season will be starting and the SPFL will be knicker wetting about that 

Exactly, if there's going to be a second wave or another lockdown it's far more likely to happen in October as opposed to August.

5 minutes ago, WATTOO said:

Exactly, if there's going to be a second wave or another lockdown it's far more likely to happen in October as opposed to August.

Yip. At least if we started in Aug we could maybe get about 8 games played before Oct! It would be a start

Edited by Thereisalight..

14 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

Yip. At least if we started in Aug we could maybe get about 8 games played before Oct! It would be a start

If there was a significant second wave that prevented the season being completed again would 8 games be enough to declare final league positions or would that be unfair?