Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Why though? What's actually wrong with the current set up? The only thing that needs to be changed in the leagues is to bring in automatic relegation to League 2 and have 9th place in a play off.

🤔 that already happens.

Did you means "from League 2" rather than "to League 2"? If so how do the two feeder leagues work it? Would the two champions play off for an automatic promotion and the loser then go into the 9th spot playoff? It seems a little incongruous for it to be the loser that advances to a playoff.

7 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Genuine question:  In your view, what then Is the intended point of the "pointless condition"?

To get round charity regulations I'd imagine. The donation has gone in through the SPFL Trust rather than directly to the SPFL so that they can claim Gift Aid on it. To then distribute it via Charitable "Grants" they need to put some conditions on it. Hence the requirement to demonstrate a "community benefit", something that any professional football club inherently provides and to not spend it on payroll, which as I said is fairly irrelevant unless your total of all other costs is less than the grant.

EDIT - Actually, having read the piece on the SPFL Trust page properly, I don't see anything in there saying it can't be used for payroll. Nor does the BBC news story. Where did the suggestion it wasn't allowed to subsidise payroll come from?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Sortmeout said:

27 game season?

Think the time has come for Scottish football to focus solely on the Premiership and let the other 30 teams pool their resources and come back as maybe just 10 clubs.

What an embarrassing predicament for the lower league clubs. 

Must try harder young man.

10 hours ago, parsforlife said:

£50k per club(possibly more in the very unlikely event a club doesn't apply for funding) . To fund testing, making grounds fit to have fans etc attend.

Can't be used towards wages(which is the major obstacle for clubs) ,  remaining £0.9m to be put into trust who are launching a campaign(Scottish football united)

Q&A on trust website is desperate to say its not a bribe

This is where I read that it couldn't be used for wages. Where did you pick up that info @parsforlife ?

55 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m still not convinced this will go through.

Unless I’m mistaken Aberdeen have already said there against reconstruction which means it’ll only take one more Premiership club to end any chance of it happening.

I think they should draw a line under this for now but look to the possibility of a new look setup beginning in 2021/22.

IDK, there is something for almost everyone a permanent 14-10-10-10, but only if it’s “permanent” (and, yes, nothing in Scottish Football is permanent, but relatively speaking).

The Premiership uses a 6-8 split, which gifts the lower 8 teams with two extra home games in the season to help with the money.

The Championship loses Hearts wallet plus ICT for Falkirk and Partick coming back. Net loss in crowds, but reduction of competition, as even an incompetent Hearts would have enough money to throw around to be competitive.

League One loses Partick and Falkirk for Edinburgh and Stranraer coming back, certain costing attendance but probably significantly reducing competition for the top spots, though Cove might be strong.

League Two gets Brora and Kelty to replace Stranraer and Edinburgh, which doesn’t really impact attendance but certainly somewhat weakens the competition for the top spots there. The sticking point might be the manner of the trapdoor to HL/LL.

As long as there isn’t an expiration on the reconstruction, there isn’t the angst about a mass relegation coming soon, and it’s highly unlikely that they would ever successfully push through a vote reducing from 44 teams in the future.

I always think a condition of "this money can't be used on wages" is a bit pointless anyway in most cases - it's a bit like the fact that UEFA's "solidarity payment" has to be used on youth development. In practice, clubs can basically just play a big game of switcheroo, by using the money from the grant on some piece of infrastructure, and then using the money they were going to spend on that infrastructure on wages.

4 hours ago, TxRover said:

IDK, there is something for almost everyone a permanent 14-10-10-10, but only if it’s “permanent” (and, yes, nothing in Scottish Football is permanent, but relatively speaking).

The Premiership uses a 6-8 split, which gifts the lower 8 teams with two extra home games in the season to help with the money.

The Championship loses Hearts wallet plus ICT for Falkirk and Partick coming back. Net loss in crowds, but reduction of competition, as even an incompetent Hearts would have enough money to throw around to be competitive.

League One loses Partick and Falkirk for Edinburgh and Stranraer coming back, certain costing attendance but probably significantly reducing competition for the top spots, though Cove might be strong.

League Two gets Brora and Kelty to replace Stranraer and Edinburgh, which doesn’t really impact attendance but certainly somewhat weakens the competition for the top spots there. The sticking point might be the manner of the trapdoor to HL/LL.

As long as there isn’t an expiration on the reconstruction, there isn’t the angst about a mass relegation coming soon, and it’s highly unlikely that they would ever successfully push through a vote reducing from 44 teams in the future.

Biggest issue with it is the breakdown of prize money which, without adjustment, will mean a big drop off in prize money (relatively) between 8th in the Championship and 9th in it. This is the old gap between 10th Championship and 1st League One. As a club relatively likely to be looking at the bottom end of the Championship, as are you, that's a big concern. Granted whilst that worries me and should worry you, it's not going to worry most of the voting clubs.

I also don't think League Two losing Stranraer and Edinburgh City and gaining Brora and Kelty is weakening competition. Kelty have thrown a bit of money about and could well be the next Cove. Brora used to spend a bit of cash a few years ago too (not sure if they still do). Brora is also a massive long journey for most of the League Two clubs (Elgin apart). And bear in mind as it stands initial restrictions are likely to mean players are required to travel to matches separately and not share transport or hire a bus. That's not going to be a popular trip!

Also everybody's money will be down. Premiership clubs need to split their money across two other clubs and everyone else needs to cover off the new new clubs, though I'l grant you the latter isn't a massive cost in financial terms.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Sting777 said:

Thistle relegated for being 2 points behind a team with a game in hand and 8 games to go. FFS!!

The game in hand has been factored into calculations about where teams 'finished' and the fate they therefore met.

A bit unlucky in Thistle's case, but not intrinsically unfair.

In light of Neil Doncaster now heading a charge for a 14 team top flight, just days after the Hearts fans money is handed to the SPFL, am I still a naive fanny for thinking it was a bribe?

1 hour ago, RandomGuy. said:

In light of Neil Doncaster now heading a charge for a 14 team top flight, just days after the Hearts fans money is handed to the SPFL, am I still a naive fanny for thinking it was a bribe?

Yes! More likely he is worried about the threat of court action by Hearts and the costs involved. Did he not mention the infamous 2012 word Armageddon in regards to the possibility of Hearts doing this!!  

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/5689204/hearts-expert-help-spfl-court-landmark-ruling-belgium/

Edited by Sting777

I’m for the change if the following conditions are there:

1. It’s permanent, at least in as much as anything is permanent.
2. There’s a net gain for the Championship in terms of promotion spots. It would be dreadful if it’s just 14th relegated and 13th in the biased play-off. Personally I’d be looking for 2nd place straight through to a final with 13th, with 3rd & 4th playing to get the right to play 12th.
3. Funding is redistributed, ideally from the top few places in the Premiership (lol) to maintain at least the current ratio of prize money in the Championship - not just shifting L1 prize money into the bottom of the Championship.

I can see maybe a permanent proposal on the table and that’s about it, however.

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The game in hand has been factored into calculations about where teams 'finished' and the fate they therefore met.

A bit unlucky in Thistle's case, but not intrinsically unfair.

Believe it or not, if we had been bottom having played the same number of games as everyone else,  I think nearly every one of our fans would have accepted it. Sadly that isn’t the case no matter how things were factored!

9 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

🤔 that already happens.

Did you means "from League 2" rather than "to League 2"? If so how do the two feeder leagues work it? Would the two champions play off for an automatic promotion and the loser then go into the 9th spot playoff? It seems a little incongruous for it to be the loser that advances to a playoff.

Ha whoops! Yes, meant relegation from League 2, and indeed that the winners of the Highland and Lowland League would play off with the winners going up automatically and the losers playing 9th for a place in the league.

14 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Believe it or not, if we had been bottom having played the same number of games as everyone else,  I think nearly every one of our fans would have accepted it. Sadly that isn’t the case no matter how things were factored!

Bollocks!

You'd still be greeting about the league being called with several games remaining.  

If your crippling grievance here is all to do with that game in hand, what do you think the authorities should have done about that, when it became clear that no further games could be staged?