Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Wages I guess, October is probably the time where the government stop paying 80% of wages, if the league starts earlier clubs will have to pay wages for longer.
With no fans though, do they really expect full prices for tinpot club tv coverage?

13 minutes ago, pub car king said:

What's the point delaying it until october if it is still closed doors.

The longer the start is delayed, the fewer games have to be played behind closed doors.  I'm guessing the thought is that if the season starts behind closed doors in Oct, we will be starting the season with no fans but soon allowing some in.  If the season starts in August, its almost half a season (At the very least) with no fans.  

1 hour ago, AyrExile said:

Let’s hope Covid doesn’t turn out to be a seasonal virus that causes havoc in the winter and is fairly dormant in the summer  

Not sure about that, the way things are going I reckon it might be a god send to just wipe millions out. 

1 hour ago, San Starko Rover said:

Wages I guess, October is probably the time where the government stop paying 80% of wages, if the league starts earlier clubs will have to pay wages for longer.

Well, Furlough drops bit before then - down to 60%, but aye, October is when the job retention scheme is scheduled to pack up entirely.

While October does seem a long while away yet, and frustrating that it *may* be unnecessary (depending on how things progress) there's got to be an element of pragmatism in these plans.  There has to be an idea of a start date so that clubs can budget accordingly and players can also know what's going to happen with their jobs. 

The mid-August start date is out the window already.  There's no way most clubs would be able to budget for a full season if we started in August given the ban on crowds and cost of testing.  Added to that the fact there has been no training of any kind since the start of March, so players will need a longer pre-season than normal.  It's probably seen as too much of a risk to start in early September in case the government keep the ban on crowds in place longer term and if there's still issues with testing.  By planning for October, it's possible we will have some sort of crowds allowed and there may not be the same requirement for testing. 

Although it's going to be hilarious, with the way that SPFL clubs behave, watching them try to agree a fixture list (for example, missing out on a home game against teams with a large away support, derbies etc.)

2 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Although it's going to be hilarious, with the way that SPFL clubs behave, watching them try to agree a fixture list (for example, missing out on a home game against teams with a large away support, derbies etc.)

There will be no fans at games for at least 1/3 of the season, I don't see the issue.

20 minutes ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

There will be no fans at games for at least 1/3 of the season

Based on what exactly?

While the clubs obviously have to account for closed doors football within their restart plan, it is quite possible that they will have the green light to allow at least capacity limited crowds by October. Which I suspect forms part of the rationale behind this proposed schedule.

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Based on what exactly?

While the clubs obviously have to account for closed doors football within their restart plan, it is quite possible that they will have the green light to allow at least capacity limited crowds by October. Which I suspect forms part of the rationale behind this proposed schedule.

And everything could flare up again in the autumn, if not before. No one knows so worst case scenario planning is sensible.

2 thought here.

1.An October start should easily allow for a compete 36 game season to be completed.

2. If we are dropping down to 27 games i don't think the imbalance of home/away ties is that big of problem. Given its likely the first 9 will be behind closed doors. And we can hopefully get decent crowds back in place for the 2nd round of ties. Meaning we play 9 home 9 away with crowds. 

1 hour ago, rb123! said:

That's us fucked, October is the month the pitch at Somerset starts to go shite and we then inevitable shit fest our way through from November to February

On the plus side the stand enclosure/north terrace experts won't be there spouting pish!

1 hour ago, Zen Archer Esq. said:

Aye, Covid-19 is fucking hilarious. 

Yes, totally my point.

If teams can go back in October, what is the big difference in doing it slightly earlier and allowing a full season?  27 games is a farce, there should be every effort made to play 36 games, and even with starting in October it should be possible with midweek fixtures.  Even extend it til the end of May if necessary.

There will be advantages gained from rivals playing each other twice at home, there'll also be an unfair advantage for Championship teams going into playoffs with 9 games less under their belts than Premiership teams.  How will signing players work if the powers that be insist on having transfer windows? Yes it's an unprecedented  situation, and yes it's difficult, but it's disappointing if this is the best they can come up with.

1 hour ago, super_carson said:

Added to that the fact there has been no training of any kind since the start of March, so players will need a longer pre-season than normal.

Why? OK, there has been no team training, but there's been nothing to stop the players working out individually. They are (allegedly) professional athletes after all - anyone who has spent lockdown watching TV and eating junk food should be sacked.

Why? OK, there has been no team training, but there's been nothing to stop the players working out individually. They are (allegedly) professional athletes after all - anyone who has spent lockdown watching TV and eating junk food should be sacked.

Players are pretty good at keeping themselves in shape these days, but in normal times that's a relatively short off-season to keep yourself ticking over.

With gyms closed most will have had very limited equipment and furlough preventing meaningful programs being issued to players there will need to be a slightly longer pre-season to get them into shape.

There's a massive difference between doing a few runs and some yoga at home and proper strength and conditioning training.

On 07/06/2020 at 12:01, Skyline Drifter said:

It certainly can be transmitted by touching the same turnstile. That was discussed here previously too. I think realistically turnstiles will be unusable for the foreseeable future. If limited crowds are allowed in then it will probably need to be by advance ticket only and entering through an exit gate with some distanced checking / scanning of the ticket. Most modern stands might just about manage to sort out getting to seats, especially if attendees were required to take seats in a set order and not sit in the same seat every week. In older stands like Palmerston's where there are no aisles then I think you'd absolutely have to make people take seats in a designated order allocated as they enter rather than squeezing past others to reach a certain seat. It would be a logistical headache.

What happens when the guy in the middle wants to go to the toilet - or at half time when there's invariably a rush to empty the pre-match drinks.

1 hour ago, btb said:

What happens when the guy in the middle wants to go to the toilet - or at half time when there's invariably a rush to empty the pre-match drinks.

They use the empty row in front or behind to walk directly to the toilet. A fleeting outdoor pass within 2m is extremely low risk. I doubt pre match drinks will be a significant issue while we remain in a crowd limiting situation anyway.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

That's us fucked, October is the month the pitch at Somerset starts to go shite and we then inevitable shit fest our way through from November to February

If it's BCD anyway you're welcome to pay the going rate for Rugby Park.