Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

8 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's all relative though, isn't it. Motherwell bring in more but also spend more. If the income disappears but the outgoings don't then it's going to be the bigger clubs who are in a bigger pickle.

I was thinking that when folk were saying clubs in League One and Two would be the first to go to the wall, their outgoings will be minuscule compared to those in the Premiership and a select few in the Championship.

10 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

It's all relative though, isn't it. Motherwell bring in more but also spend more. If the income disappears but the outgoings don't then it's going to be the bigger clubs who are in a bigger pickle.

Yes. They have larger fanbases to tap into though, so any revenue streams that can keep going are going to bring in more money, including live streaming, tv money etc.

What isnt relative, as I said, is the cost of  testing players. As far as I know, some lower league chairman have cited this as one of the reasons they cant play behind closed doors.

1 hour ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

I think the answer to all of these questions, and more, is likely to be, "because that wouldn't make the SPFL board look bad".

She's going actually going beyond garnering sympathy for Doncaster; she's making The Rangers look less like a bunch of c***s, and just a club/company doing what plenty of others would do in their position. Still no idea what she thinks she's going to get out of it, other than spiteful satisfaction. Surely she knows she's back in the Championship next season, whatever happens now.

I dont think there is any doubt the manner of disclosure was designed to try to make Ann Budge look good and the SPFL look bad. If it happens Budge takes the credit and at least increases the chances of Hearts taking part in an active division next year (if the same guy gave the money directly to Hearts they would be better off financially but may well have nothing to do for a year). If it doesnt work she can blame the SPFL for it. 

In this respect it appears, on here at least, to have backfired with most seeing right through it. I dont know if thats true of the wider redtop reading public though, is it?

43 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Motherwell received just over £2m in prize money for last season. Queens received under £200k. Theres one reason.

Bigger clubs have more fans and therefore more revenue. Obviously, they also have bigger outgoings too. However, the cost to test a player is going to be the same for all clubs, so just from that point of view the lower league clubs need the money more.

I expect Motherwell's wage bill is similarly bigger though and unlike us not covered by furlough. They will have a bigger playing and coaching squad too obviously so will need more testing even if the cost per person is the same.

29 minutes ago, Mr X said:

Yes. They have larger fanbases to tap into though, so any revenue streams that can keep going are going to bring in more money, including live streaming, tv money etc.

What isnt relative, as I said, is the cost of  testing players. As far as I know, some lower league chairman have cited this as one of the reasons they cant play behind closed doors.

They dont all have larger fanbases to tap into though. Hamilton and Livi wont. County maybe not either (do they still 'count the eyes'?)

This of course is why the conditions attached to this proposed altruistic donation are crucial. I still havent listened to Sportsound but was it not mooted that the cash would be for lower league testing? As I said a few pages ago, its crucial to decide how this would be distributed if done through the League. If the Premier sides are playing loss making football to avoid the League as a whole taking a bigger hit with the tv deal collapsing (which appears to be the case) they would be well within their right to push for a share of such cash to underwrite testing at least. Seems reasonable to me but may not suit the donor if in reality his main motivation is to ensure Hearts have opposition to play.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

They dont all have larger fanbases to tap into though. Hamilton and Livi wont. County maybe not either (do they still 'count the eyes'?)

Yep and who's to say Motherwell's (or another club) fans would step up enough to plug the financial gap.  That's them relying on 3rd parties for incomings.  The smaller clubs outgoings are set in stone.

26 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

The lower leagues have no stream of income for games behind closed doors (as it stands). The top flight has tv money.

Strictly we all have "tv money", its just the lower you are the less your share. Its doubtful the top leagues sides tv money alone covers much more of their outgoings than it does for lower league sides in reality.

What is different is that its much easier for lower league sides generally to cut those outgoings and 'mothball' than bigger clubs, for whom the costs are so high they almost may as well play.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

5 minutes ago, ScottyG said:

but what does this mean?

develop a concrete proposal which could make a significant difference to our 42 clubs."

I would guess he is offering to fund covid testing in some manner but we will have to wait and see. Anything on a grand scale would be positive but it will need to be very grand to make an awful lot of difference outside the top league I suspect.

I would guess he is offering to fund covid testing in some manner but we will have to wait and see. Anything on a grand scale would be positive but it will need to be very grand to make an awful lot of difference outside the top league I suspect.

Aye it still doesn’t solve the issue of teams playing with no fans. If there isn’t some way that clubs can get money until fans start coming back then plenty teams will be sitting next season out.

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It could also govern the number of games with COST x Matches played, so you can have a 'season' of some sort or you don't play at all in lower divisions (lower division the priority as far as I know at this point)

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Aye it still doesn’t solve the issue of teams playing with no fans. If there isn’t some way that clubs can get money until fans start coming back then plenty teams will be sitting next season out.

England currently talking about some fans being allowed for next season they were saying up to 20% in yesterday’s paper,  there was a report about a possible 20,000 crowd for this years FA cup final at Wembley, hopefully some truth in it 

13 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Testing and wages for all? I couldn't begin to put a figure in that. Maybe he's going to pay the diddies mothballs expenses, leaving Hearts to claim they can't play and have to go back up.

Apparently money is available for all clubs, but to distribute it more evenly, any club that is in the lower leagues that starts with an ‘H’ gets the biggest share. Oh, and ties are banned from the board room apparently!

Maybe it's just because I saw it recently, but I can't help thinking about the scene in Robocop 2 where the desperate Mayor of bankrupt Detroit goes to meet anonymous potential donors, discovers they're the folk behind the rampant drug problem in the city, and instantly discovers a whole new set of morals that he didn't know he had  :lol:

3 minutes ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

Maybe it's just because I saw it recently, but I can't help thinking about the scene in Robocop 2 where the desperate Mayor of bankrupt Detroit goes to meet anonymous potential donors, discovers they're the folk behind the rampant drug problem in the city, and instantly discovers a whole new set of morals that he didn't know he had  :lol:

The video of the various attempted failed Robocops being a metaphor for reconstruction then...

5 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

giphy-downsized-medium.gif