Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, Day of the Lords said:

Presumably for idiots like Scotty, it'll be absolutely fine if each club's portion is delivered in brown paper bags, used notes and mixed denominations of 5s, 10s and 20s.

IMG_1528.JPG.b500864d055d6f25c354e8f09573d806.JPG

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is true but I imagine what was really meant here isnt ID'ing the source of the funds which presumably should be very easy. I imagine the two crucial questions are:

1 - what are the conditions, if any, attached to this donation? ie is it conditional on some form of reconstruction, or only payable to clubs outside top division (who are set to play anyway) or only payable in the top two divisions (to ensure Hearts can play), etc

2 - how would it be proposed to be distributed? Blanket amount per club? Blanket amount per registered professional player (since my understanding is it was proposed to pay for covid testing)? Different amounts per club depending on division (which makes little sense since presumably the cost of tests is the same). 

Etc. These are the things that need clarified. If its truly just an arbitrary donation there is nothing stopping the donors from writing 42 cheques right now and posting them. It doesnt have to go through the League. Its not without conditions because she already said it was to ensure lower league clubs could play (although underwriting the additional cost of testing will not in itself solve the problem for clubs with no income to hire a squad).

Not as easy as you might think. Especially if the money comes from a company which for arguments sake has a registered office in the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or British Virgin Islands. 

Transfers and sources of money between certain countries or continents are extremely difficult to identify for a variety of reasons that I won't go into on here. It can be a long drawn out process. 

There'll undoubtedly be tax implications for the benefactors and it will be extremely unlikely that its just a transfer from a Bank of Scotland current account in the name of Mr Phil Anthropist. 

Even if it is, if you're doing things properly as a national football league receiving a major donation should do, you then have background checks as to the actual source of these funds and where they have been derived from. There could be numerous transfers ultimately beginning in a cash payment into an account from a country which let's say might have less robust checks than you'd hope or expect. These funds could be linked to the most serious of crimes. 

The authorities can't just be hypnotised into not carrying out the proper checks and this should take weeks or months to verify.

In short it can be far, far from as easy or straightforward as you suggest. 

15 minutes ago, BukyOHare said:

Not as easy as you might think. Especially if the money comes from a company which for arguments sake has a registered office in the Isle of Man, Channel Islands or British Virgin Islands. 

Transfers and sources of money between certain countries or continents are extremely difficult to identify for a variety of reasons that I won't go into on here. It can be a long drawn out process. 

There'll undoubtedly be tax implications for the benefactors and it will be extremely unlikely that its just a transfer from a Bank of Scotland current account in the name of Mr Phil Anthropist. 

Even if it is, if you're doing things properly as a national football league receiving a major donation should do, you then have background checks as to the actual source of these funds and where they have been derived from. There could be numerous transfers ultimately beginning in a cash payment into an account from a country which let's say might have less robust checks than you'd hope or expect. These funds could be linked to the most serious of crimes. 

The authorities can't just be hypnotised into not carrying out the proper checks and this should take weeks or months to verify.

In short it can be far, far from as easy or straightforward as you suggest. 

Part of my job involves running ID checks on people for money laundering. I am well aware of the potential issues. However I am taking it as read the people involved here are not criminals and will not have a reason to hide their ID. If they are non cooperative for any reason the whole debate is ridiculous.

The point is I doubt the reason she has beem asked for written proposals is simply for ID checks. 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

I'll not miss an opportunity to stick the boot into the SPFL (a shambles of an organisation) however, they're acting in the correct manner on this occasion. I'm actually surprised by it, in all honesty.

9 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Part of my job involves running ID checks on people for money laundering. I am well aware of the potential issues. However I am taking it as read the people involved here are not criminals and will not have a reason to hide their ID. If they are non cooperative for any reason the whole debate is ridiculous.

The point is I doubt the reason she has beem asked for written proposals is simply for ID checks. 

I'm honestly not having a go or getting involved in a p&b willy waving contest. I'm also speaking from a professional basis and will say no more than that. 

You'll know that just because Joe Bloggs and his friends says it's their money to gift there'll  still have to be the most rigorous of checks carried out on the source of the funds.

ID of the individuals is all good and well, its the source of the funds and previous transfers of same, that I'd be more inclined to have a more detailed look at. 

If it sounds too good to be true and all that... 

I don't really see the problem with taking drug baron money or blood diamond money considering they allow clubs founded and surviving on religious bigotry and hatred to freely control the game here. 

18 minutes ago, eez-eh said:

Is Budge seriously moaning about having to put this in writing rather than the SPFL just choosing to do a Hamilton without having a clue where the money is coming from?

Yes.

Her wee sock puppet Tom English is now also moaning about it today.

38 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes.

Her wee sock puppet Tom English is now also moaning about it today.

Tom English seems to have lost the plot since there's been no live football.

I used to rate him quite highly amongst the dross employed by BBC Scotland but now he's regressing to the mean in that particular pool.

Some of his articles on the BBC Sports website are ok. That’s when he’s had time to sit and consider what he’s going to say and then put it down in written form.

When he’s speaking live on radio or TV, though, his mouth seems to run away from him, disengage from his brain and just react with (half a) mind of its own. I hate listening to him, to be honest. 

An Irishman called English commenting on Scottish sport was never likely to work out well.

Some of his articles on the BBC Sports website are ok. That’s when he’s had time to sit and consider what he’s going to say and then put it down in written form.
When he’s speaking live on radio or TV, though, his mouth seems to run away from him, disengage from his brain and just react with (half a) mind of its own. I hate listening to him, to be honest. 

An Irishman called English commenting on Scottish sport was never likely to work out well.

I’ve generally liked English and would agree that his written work is decent. As you suggest though he does haver some shite on the radio .

17 minutes ago, Distant Doonhamer said:

I’ve generally liked English and would agree that his written work is decent. As you suggest though he does haver some shite on the radio .

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I cant work him out. I like how he has previously held the Old Firm account for things over panelists/journos wont. He also talks an absolute power of shite.

Can't say I've read his written work other than occasional articles on the BBC Sport website, which were generally decent enough. On the radio up to the last 4 or 5 weeks I found him one of the best media analysts. Better informed than most and able to take a dispassionate view.

He does however seem to have disappeared right up his own backside since the SPFL vote to end the season. He made a complete ass of himself on the radio and in print then and rather than revert to type sheepishly since he has inexplicably dug himself deeper and deeper into a hole. It's a pity.

9 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Seems a well respected and credible investor. The questions still remain around a genuine motive though. Why would someone of his ilk wish to invest in an organisation who run a Honduras type voting system? 

4 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Seems a well respected and credible investor. The questions still remain around a genuine motive though. Why would someone of his ilk wish to invest in an organisation who run a Honduras type voting system? 

The biggest question is why hes waited until days before the final reconstruction vote, IMO.