Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

59 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

I wouldn’t be adverse to a 16 team top flight. Whilst I feel some level of sympathy for Hearts, Partick and Stranraer, it’s clear Budge wouldn’t give a fck about reconstruction if they hadn’t been “relegated” 

I’ve always been a wee bit sceptical about those who say they’re sick of teams having to play each other four times a season in the league. Away supports are much smaller than home supports so by far the majority of fans only see other teams twice a season, leaguewise at least. For those who go to away games the game is part of a day out, the game’s only part of it, and if you don’t fancy a second trip to, say, Alloa, don’t go, find something else to do, like the rest of us. 
Even though I dislike the ‘split’ in the top league I think the league structure and numbers we have at the moment are about as good as we’ll get.

i totally agree with your second point though.

7 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

As I said previously - that isn’t the rule.

Yes it quite clearly is.

What is the rule on ending seasons and determining positions then?

Edited by johnnydun

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

This is where we start getting into grey areas - the rules don’t mention asking the clubs to vote, whether you think it is the right thing to do or not.

General Meetings do.

50 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

It would not just be Hearts wanting to play games behind closed doors, Dundee have also said they want to start up, behind closed doors or not. You will probably find we won't be the only teams below the Premier wanting this.

I would imagine that once they find out the numbers, if 10 or more wish to play then it would be the 10 top placed teams throughout the league will make up the Championship teams for next season, as others would not be registering to play.

If it is less than 10, then imo, it would be a smaller Leauge.

Aye I agree. I just used hearts as an example as the will definitely want to play but it could be any team that decides they want to play games. Dundee will certainly be a yes but I think the teams beyond that could either be yes or no. I think there might need to he reconstruction on the basis of the legal issues I have mentioned. It could be the case that only dundee and hearts are willing to commit to football outside the top league meaning it may be the spfl have to make a decision at board level to admit them into the top flight. Anything less than 6 teams might mean we only have one league that plays.

Edited by Fifes Elite Force

7 minutes ago, Fifes Elite Force said:

Aye I agree. I just used hearts as an example as the will definitely want to play but it could be any team that decides they want to play games. Dundee will certainly be a yes but I think the teams beyond that could either be yes or no. I think there might need to he reconstruction on the basis of the legal issues I have mentioned. It could be the case that only dundee and hearts are willing to commit to football outside the top league meaning it may be the spfl have to make a decision at board level to admit them into the top flight. Anything less than 6 teams might mean we only have one league that plays.

Do Kelty get a place in this top flight as well if their stupid, souped up outfit decides it wants to play as well? What about a glorified social club like BSC Glasgow, who don't have a credible fanbase to lose in the first place?

Whether a division restarts behind closed doors and for how long are decisions that should be made by the collective verdict of the clubs in that division alone. If that means that the minority don't get to play yet then that's just tough. 

10 minutes ago, virginton said:

Do Kelty get a place in this top flight as well if their stupid, souped up outfit decides it wants to play as well? What about a glorified social club like BSC Glasgow, who don't have a credible fanbase to lose in the first place?

Whether a division restarts behind closed doors and for how long are decisions that should be made by the collective verdict of the clubs in that division alone. If that means that the minority don't get to play yet then that's just tough. 

Stupid souped up outfit. What does that mean? Glorified social club. What does that mean?  What makes a fan base credible? This has to be stupidest post of the day. 

15 minutes ago, Jerry Macguire said:

Stupid souped up outfit. What does that mean? Glorified social club. What does that mean?  What makes a fan base credible? This has to be stupidest post of the day. 

Give it time.

Stupid souped up outfit: a club that is flinging Championship level money at mercenaries to clamber out of the abyss of Scottish football (see also 'Gretna', 2003-2008). 

Glorified social club: a football team that has no significant social footprint outside of those employed by it or the blazers in the boardroom taking comps every other week (see also Edusport/'Caledonian Braves')

Credible fan base: one that is actually based on sustained, generational support with a community, rather than some fly by nights who rocked up with a scarf for the first time for a home TV cup tie held 40-odd miles from the area it is supposed to represent. Which brings us full circle back to BSC Glasgow.

If people really think that national level, professional football should be resumed on an 'everybody who wants to play, join in' principle then these are the sort of stupid outfits that could be elevated well above their standing on sporting merit or indeed general credibility.

Edited by vikingTON

29 minutes ago, virginton said:

Stupid souped up outfit: a club that is flinging Championship level money at mercenaries to clamber out of the abyss of Scottish football (see also 'Gretna', 2003-2008). 

Glorified social club: a football team that has no significant social footprint outside of those employed by it or the blazers in the boardroom taking comps every other week (see also Edusport/'Caledonian Braves')

Credible fan base: one that is actually based on sustained, generational support with a community, rather than some fly by nights who rocked up with a scarf for the first time for a home' TV cup tie held 40-odd miles from the area it is supposed to represent. Which brings us full circle back to BSC Glasgow.

If people really think that national level, professional football should be resumed on an 'everybody who wants to play, join in' principle then these are the sort of stupid outfits that could be elevated well above their standing on sporting merit or indeed general credibility.

But apart from that...

14 hours ago, Boo Khaki said:

Benfica and Porto have won something like 37 of the last 40 Portuguese titles, the exception being a three year period around the turn of the millennium when Sporting and Boavista won two titles and one single title respectively.

Not quite what you are looking for, but take 2000-2002 out of the equation and it would be more or less identical to Scotland.

If, for arguments sake, you removed Dundee Utd and Aberdeen's titles in the first half of the 80's, and the three won by Sporting and Boavista, then you'd have two countries where the title had been shared between two clubs every season for the past 40 years.

Portugal is possibly the closest ‘major’ league in Europe to Scotland’s situation where the league has been dominated by 2 teams for the last 35 years.   Even then, it’s a league that has been historically dominated by 3 clubs.  

At least Portugal has already seen four different clubs winning the title in the 21st century.  

35 minutes ago, virginton said:

Credible fan base: one that is actually based on sustained, generational support with a community, rather than some fly by nights who rocked up with a scarf for the first time for a home' TV cup tie held 40-odd miles from the area it is supposed to represent. Which brings us full circle back to BSC Glasgow.

Why are you worried about this?

They are not part of the SPFL.

55 minutes ago, virginton said:

Kelty is slightly different in that they arnt part of the spfl and in the example I have given it's the spfl that are  not allowing businesses to trade and even worse allow some members to trade and others not. Scottish football isn't above the law of the land, and a court won't care what the internal procedures are or have a tough shit attitude. What they will try to establish if any business in question has been unfairly treated and had their freedom to trade as a viable business taken away when it shouldn't have.

22 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Why are you worried about this?

They are not part of the SPFL.

Because he's a fucking moron that wants to have the opportunity to be condescending as opposed to contributing to any debate.

1 hour ago, virginton said:

My previous post is in reply to this one.

2 hours ago, johnnydun said:

It would not just be Hearts wanting to play games behind closed doors, Dundee have also said they want to start up, behind closed doors or not. You will probably find we won't be the only teams below the Premier wanting this.

I would imagine that once they find out the numbers, if 10 or more wish to play then it would be the 10 top placed teams throughout the league will make up the Championship teams for next season, as others would not be registering to play.

If it is less than 10, then imo, it would be a smaller Leauge.

It would be interesting to know if, on the basis that a lot of clubs wants to delay until January, whether the teams who want to play would accept a temporary league structure with the knowledge it wont affect their league position at all.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It would be interesting to know if, on the basis that a lot of clubs wants to delay until January, whether the teams who want to play would accept a temporary league structure with the knowledge it wont affect their league position at all.

Yup total minefield. Imagine if they decide that the teams that do take part in a league automatically form the championship if they can field a team from August. Brechin do it after finishing bottom of league 2 and led a proposal to stop them being involved in relegation playoffs. 

What happens if a  number of clubs decide to try and breakaway from the spfl and do their own thing on the basis the league wont let them trade. Unlikely but a possibility there's not really any old precedents for whats happening.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

It should affect league position though.

You can't just have teams refusing to play a season and then expect to be placed back in the same league the following season.

If teams say they won't be able to afford it then they, just like any other season, should budget and spend within their means. (I know this is a bit rich coming from a Dundee fan.)

Do clubs need to apply to be in the league at the start of every season?