Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

I see the scottish rugby season has been declared null and void so i wouldn't rule out the football following suit however league bodies will probably shit the bed with possible legal action from Celtic

It was voted for by the clubs from several options, apparently. Slightly easier for Scottish Premiership as nothing had been decided, especially considering play offs are used to decide the champions. Feel sorry for teams like Biggar who had mathematically won their league, but ultimately clubs don’t have any legal muscle and the SRU do what they want anyway.

32 minutes ago, Dele said:

So we just never relax the restrictions? 

What is the ideal time frame where the virus says "Can't be bothered now, I'll go elsewhere"? 

The ideal time to relax restrictions is obviously whenever a vaccine has been created and everyone has been inoculated.  Given that is likely to be at least 12 - 18 months away that is not likely to be an option.

Realistically, I assume restrictions will be relaxed once many, many more ventilators and ICU spaces are available to deal with the near inevitable significant increase in infection rates relaxing restrictions will bring.

All the time of course Governments across the world will be hoping that the virus has not mutated into something even more deadly by the time the second wave comes.

18 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

The ideal time to relax restrictions is obviously whenever a vaccine has been created and everyone has been inoculated.  Given that is likely to be at least 12 - 18 months away that is not likely to be an option.

Realistically, I assume restrictions will be relaxed once many, many more ventilators and ICU spaces are available to deal with the near inevitable significant increase in infection rates relaxing restrictions will bring.

All the time of course Governments across the world will be hoping that the virus has not mutated into something even more deadly by the time the second wave comes.

What happens if they don’t find a cure? How long have they been working on finding a cure for cancer to no avail? As harsh as it may sound normal life has to return sooner rather than later. We can’t keep people isolating for weeks and weeks on end. Shops, pubs, lower league teams will go bust if this continues intimidating months rather than weeks  

Rather than null & voiding this season, I propose this (I mentioned it a page or so back, but I've fleshed it out):

• No more games this season.
  • Average point system used which will be added to on the completion of next season.
  • Overall average points over 2 seasons decides league positioning. - There'd be a 'table' for this season but Avg. determines who goes down/who goes up.

This would cover us in several areas. It'd avoid this season being a complete waste of time. If there are to be further lockdowns, it means that everything being determined over a longer period of time means we can shut down at a moments notice. It would also give teams a fresh start, ie, allow players to leave when their contracts originally expired.

It wouldn't be categorically unfair on any side - Hearts wouldn't just get relegated automatically, United wouldn't have wasted this season and they'd still be in a commanding position.

This isn't a long term solution for the Scottish leagues but is fairer than any other option that I can see.

Doesn't have the negatives of scrapping this season, automatically relegating clubs that aren't mathematically relegated and more importantly (For the SPFL/SFA) it would mean they don't have to piss off either of the bigot brothers (Which is all they care about).

6 hours ago, rb123! said:

The latest suggestion seems to be restarting football at the beginnig of August like usual but we'll finish this season first before starting the new season. 

Surely that means all players will need to stay with the clubs they are at for another year. Not fair in the slightest to restart a continuing season with teams having whole new squads. Presume that means there would be no summer transfer window.

I don't see how it particularly means they "need" to stay with clubs. This is a unique situation. It's not like clubs start and finish with the same squad now. There is a January window and clubs conceivably change half a team or more in that window. It would just be like having an extra window this season. We used to allow movement all the time right up to the end of March, it's not a novel approach!

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Yes you can, by simply rejecting any new player registrations until all of the 19/20 fixtures have been completed. So players can either extend their contract on a rolling basis until the end of the campaign - whenever that is - or decline and not get paid. The vast majority would choose the former.

I think that would spell the death of restricted contracts. The football rules are already dubious within employment law. If they start preventing players changing jobs in a previously established window to do so there will be legal challenges.

Personally I don't think that finishing the season "next season" is a valid approach but not because it would require different squads. If that happens so be it. I don't think it's massively practical because it brings it's own problems in terms of registering players for a fixed period. I touched on this a week or two back but very few clubs, certainly outside the top division, know what level they will be playing at next season. If we come back with 8 or 9 games to play and spend some time between July and September playing them, before rolling straight into the one to follow, playing budgets will potentially be very different depending on what division you are in. How could QoS or Partick Thistle realistically offer a manager a playing budget for the season ahead without knowing until Sept which division they will be in? It's very impractical.

It's a potential solution but it's not one I'd favour and I suspect it creates as many problems as it solves. For me they need to draw a line under the current season by the end of June at latest (and even that has practical difficulties in Scotland where most players are only contracted to end of May or 1st week in June). If we can't play to a finish by then (and we won't) then you either void it or declare it finished as is.

13 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Rather than null & voiding this season, I propose this (I mentioned it a page or so back, but I've fleshed it out):

• No more games this season.
  • Average point system used which will be added to on the completion of next season.
  • Overall average points over 2 seasons decides league positioning. - There'd be a 'table' for this season but Avg. determines who goes down/who goes up.

This would cover us in several areas. It'd avoid this season being a complete waste of time. If there are to be further lockdowns, it means that everything being determined over a longer period of time means we can shut down at a moments notice. It would also give teams a fresh start, ie, allow players to leave when their contracts originally expired.

It wouldn't be categorically unfair on any side - Hearts wouldn't just get relegated automatically, United wouldn't have wasted this season and they'd still be in a commanding position.

This isn't a long term solution for the Scottish leagues but is fairer than any other option that I can see.

Doesn't have the negatives of scrapping this season, automatically relegating clubs that aren't mathematically relegated and more importantly (For the SPFL/SFA) it would mean they don't have to piss off either of the bigot brothers (Which is all they care about).

Little Britain

34 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

What happens if they don’t find a cure? How long have they been working on finding a cure for cancer to no avail? As harsh as it may sound normal life has to return sooner rather than later. We can’t keep people isolating for weeks and weeks on end. Shops, pubs, lower league teams will go bust if this continues intimidating months rather than weeks  

Then I assume many, many people will die and it is something we will have to accept.  In the mean time Governments are buying time until they can learn more about the virus.

39 minutes ago, Thereisalight.. said:

If people isolate, the virus can't spread so the virus dies. It's not really about finding a cure, it's about flattening the curve of infection.

3 minutes ago, MSU said:

If people isolate, the virus can't spread so the virus dies. It's not really about finding a cure, it's about flattening the curve of infection.

Why is there other virus'like flu (that we combat against yearly) still absolutely ravaging folk then? 

Why didn't we just isolate and kill that fucking years ago? 

Edited by Dele

11 minutes ago, Dele said:

Why is there other virus'like flu (that we combat against yearly) still absolutely ravaging folk then? 

Why didn't we just isolate and kill that fucking years ago? 

Coz new strains come out practically every year. And given how low the infection / mortality rate is of regular flu, it doesn't really warrant such drastic actions. When this is done, coronavirus will come back eventually, just hopefully not such an aggressive strain. It's like, the black death wasn't just something that happened in the 1300s. It came back every 30 years or so for centuries, just not usually as devastating. Some guy in Kyrgyzstan died of bubonic plague in 2013. These things never really go away 100%

Sports wise it seems very unfair ( which it is), but I think the only way to deal with this situation is to make this season null and void [emoji3525] I can't see any other way (sh1te as it is).
Agree. Last season is finished now. The last game seems like ages ago and no likely start date any time soon. I'm still keen on a 14-14-14 setup when it does restart.

5 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Do clubs often have 8-10 players retiring in a single summer?

Was obviously giving extreme example. But if Club had players retiring, what could they do if there was a transfer freeze? 

4 hours ago, virginton said:

Yes you can, by simply rejecting any new player registrations until all of the 19/20 fixtures have been completed. So players can either extend their contract on a rolling basis until the end of the campaign - whenever that is - or decline and not get paid. The vast majority would choose the former.

What if you had players who are going to sign for a team you are in a relegation battle with? 

Will they try and relegate the team they are going to be with next season?  

5 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

What if you had players who are going to sign for a team you are in a relegation battle with? 

Will they try and relegate the team they are going to be with next season?  

It happens. For example, Michael Tidser last season.