Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Don't really understand Dunfermline's logic unless they're in the shits financially considering Ian Maxwell said last night small group training could be back on June 10th at the earliest. 

Plus it's going to be very difficult for them to recruit that amount of players in the current situation.

Edited by rb123!

There is zero point in teams going back to training unless there is a definite start date for games to be played with some sort of income either through a government scheme (unlikely) or match day income (also unlikely).

If games aren’t being played until 2021 then there will be no training in June.

For anyone wondering if clubs can extend contracts while on the furlough.

If Dunfermline can't even afford 20% wages for the next couple of months they must be on the brink of admin or something.

EYoMGELWkAEl5FY.jpg

Dunfermline releasing 17 out of contract players today. Not even keeping them on for another month with furlough like Dundee have done. 
On the brink?
We're in talks to invoke an extension clause on one of our players, one of the 17 released turned down a new deal. We've released every player out of contract before, albeit in different circumstances.

Might be on the brink right enough but I'd have expected us to release that many players regardless.

1 minute ago, rb123! said:

For anyone wondering if clubs can extend contracts while on the furlough.

If Dunfermline can't even afford 20% wages for the next couple of months they must be on the brink of admin or something.

EYoMGELWkAEl5FY.jpg

There isn’t even a requirement for them to pay the extra 20% either.

Only way it really makes sense is if they’re planning on paying players to return to training but that would seem very premature when no one has a clue when the season will start.

9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

We're in talks to invoke an extension clause on one of our players, one of the 17 released turned down a new deal. We've released every player out of contract before, albeit in different circumstances.

Might be on the brink right enough but I'd have expected us to release that many players regardless.

Who turned down the deal? Ashcroft?

15 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I'd doubt in normal circumstances you'd have released the likes of Paton, Beadling, Ashcroft and Devine but you may be right.

3 hours ago, AyrExile said:

I thought Maxwell didn’t come across too well. Probably because he knows what’s coming soon and it’s gonna be a very difficult problem to solve. Too be fair nobody defending this position would look good at the minute.  He did acknowledge there are many different things they are looking at but didn’t want to be drawn on much. Like you I think it’s going to be very difficult to get much running outside the premiership. Arguably there are a few teams in the top league who still might struggle and four or five in the lower leagues who could cope ok 

I thought he came across OK, to be fair it's hard to be positive and specific right now!  However, it did remind me that he seems to be a bit of an invisible man, and I do wonder if Scottish football is getting value for the £300K + he is being paid?  Maybe that's a bit harsh - hopeful there is a lot of good work being done behind the scenes!

59 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

But to release them all now, with no prospect of them getting contracts elsewhere, when they could have had their furloughed contracts extended at no cost to the club, is pretty shitty behaviour

Edited by Mr X

1 minute ago, Mr X said:

But to release them all now, with no prospect of them getting contracts elsewhere, when they could have had their furloughed contracts extended at no cost to the club, is pretty shitty behaviour

100% this.

I'm sure the players would have been more than happy with another £2500 to see them through another month, it would give them time to look elsewhere for other work/clubs.

Have clubs actually received the furlough money yet though?

I know my work was still paying 100% of a furloughed employees wages up until last week, and hadnt received anything from the government yet.

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Have clubs actually received the furlough money yet though?

I know my work was still paying 100% of a furloughed employees wages up until last week, and hadnt received anything from the government yet.

Is this the same company that told you that they had to pay the furlough money back?

2 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Is this the same company that told you that they had to pay the furlough money back?

The same company who reckoned their taxes would be majorly increased the next year, so in their opinion theyd be losing money at some point no matter what.

Edited by RandomGuy.

35 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

I thought he came across OK, to be fair it's hard to be positive and specific right now!  However, it did remind me that he seems to be a bit of an invisible man, and I do wonder if Scottish football is getting value for the £300K + he is being paid?  Maybe that's a bit harsh - hopeful there is a lot of good work being done behind the scenes!

Doing the pyramid introduction negotiations he and Rod Petrie showed complete ignorance of any SFA rules and even geographical knowledge. I wouldn't place too much trust in him.

Edited by Sergeant Wilson

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

The same company who reckoned their taxes would be majorly increased the next year, so in their opinion theyd be losing money at some point no matter what.

Tell them to pass me on a copy of next year's budget.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Tell them to pass me on a copy of next year's budget.

I mean, it's quite clear it's just their opinion.