Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

54 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This stuff about paying to watch the closed door games online, it may have some benefit to teams.

For example, I am 90% certain I would not be travelling away to watch Dundee at QOTS, however charge say £10-£20 to watch it online, then I am 90% sure I would buy it.

I think this would be a better option than no football, it raises some form of income and give fans a chance to financially support clubs for something in return.

As long as the stream doesn't buffer ever 30 seconds.

No, it would be much worse than nothing, because QOS would have to pay their players to take part, pay them much more altogether than they could possibly make through such an arrangement.

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

It definitely would and would result in absolutely dog shit content with just a pixelated picture from about 5 minutes later with the commentary in the background of "gooooaaalllll" but not actually seeing it. 

Would make for comedy gold viewing, plus idk about other clubs but we've got a lot of old boys up in the stand who i don't think would be rushing to wip out their Ipads to watch the game online, if they were they'd probably get smashed off the wall at the first missplaced pass. 

Edited by rb123!

I'm amazed the amount of posters who know with great certainty exactly how things will play out for the next 18 months. Why will things be different to start in August 2021?

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

This stuff about paying to watch the closed door games online, it may have some benefit to teams.

For example, I am 90% certain I would not be travelling away to watch Dundee at QOTS, however charge say £10-£20 to watch it online, then I am 90% sure I would buy it.

I think this would be a better option than no football, it raises some form of income and give fans a chance to financially support clubs for something in return.

^^^^

Has forgotten that if we play we need to pay a team of players type post IMO.

31 minutes ago, virginton said:

The rational way forward is pretty clear then. Though given that the governments of the UK and its population have clearly bought into their magical two metre distance message - despite it proving useless at massive cost to the economy and society - there might well another 6-12 months of this nonsense ahead. I suspect that economic reality will eventually do the job of consigning it to the bin though. 

Here’s a quote from the World Economic Forum: 

While experts are agreeing that the spread of COVID-19 cannot be stopped, it can be slowed down significantly by measures currently summed up under the term “social distancing”. By limiting human contact, we can reduce the transmission rate significantly, which in turn increases the time it takes for cases to double. Thanks to the nature of exponential functions, such measures can have a huge effect on the total number of cases after a given time.”

think I’ll take their advice, and the Scottish and UK government’s, over that of some gimp on a football message board - but thanks anyway, I suppose.

Here’s a quote from the World Economic Forum: 
While experts are agreeing that the spread of COVID-19 cannot be stopped, it can be slowed down significantly by measures currently summed up under the term “social distancing”. By limiting human contact, we can reduce the transmission rate significantly, which in turn increases the time it takes for cases to double. Thanks to the nature of exponential functions, such measures can have a huge effect on the total number of cases after a given time.”
think I’ll take their advice, and the Scottish and UK government’s, over that of some gimp on a football message board - but thanks anyway, I suppose.
Don't forget to end your post with VT's favourite - "thanks for playing"

1 hour ago, Monkey Tennis said:

No, it would be much worse than nothing, because QOS would have to pay their players to take part, pay them much more altogether than they could possibly make through such an arrangement.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

^^^^

Has forgotten that if we play we need to pay a team of players type post IMO.

Question then,

If you were a footballer, would you rather have no income for a year or reduced wages for a year?

If the 'behind closed doors online pay per view' option is the way forward then clubs could offer reduced contracts to compensate for the loss in revenue.

7 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Question then,

If you were a footballer, would you rather have no income for a year or reduced wages for a year?

If the 'behind closed doors online pay per view' option is the way forward then clubs could offer reduced contracts to compensate for the loss in revenue.

I'm not a player though, and very few people are, so the question is somewhat wide of the point.

I honestly think you're failing to grasp the reality here.

The only conceivable way for a club like Queens to operate, is to charge people to come and watch. 

Even if we leave wages aside (an absurd thing to do as they're so clearly the major cost) I doubt if we could afford the other expenditure involved in staging matches, by merely relying on subs for streaming.

We wouldn't just be talking about a "loss in revenue".  We'd be talking about the evaporation of nearly all of it.

10 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Question then,

For clubs our size (maybe not you) thats likely to be pretty much amateur. A few hundred online subs, even if practical (its not a service we already had) isnt going to cover wages. And you still have an issue with those already contracted if we are going to play games. 

I am fairly sceptical even a club the size of Dundee could get near covering existing contract commitments from online streaming subs but dont know how many you have contracted, average wage, etc. Dundee of course have their insurance which will make up shortfall for a while (I bet the insurance co dont offer a renewal whenever its up though). As a result its prob in Dundee's interest to play. They will be better placed than most.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

I'm not a player though, and very few people are, so the question is somewhat wide of the point.

I honestly think you're failing to grasp the reality here.

The only conceivable way for a club like Queens to operate, is to charge people to come and watch. 

Even if we leave wages aside (an absurd thing to do as they're so clearly the major cost) I doubt if we could afford the other expenditure involved in staging matches, by merely relying on subs for streaming.

We wouldn't just be talking about a "loss in revenue".  We'd be talking about the evaporation of nearly all of it.

FFS! 

My question is not wide of the point and why would you leave wages aside, that is the biggest cost to clubs is it not?

You would still have to pay the contracted players regardless or get rid.

3 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

FFS! 

My question is not wide of the point and why would you leave wages aside, that is the biggest cost to clubs is it not?

You would still have to pay the contracted players regardless or get rid.

Eh?  

Read my post again.  I'm not actually leaving wages aside.  I'm saying that even if we did (while acknowledging they're the biggest cost) we still couldn't really afford to play games.

And we've very few players contracted beyond this season.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

12 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

For clubs our size (maybe not you) thats likely to be pretty much amateur. A few hundred online subs, even if practical (its not a service we already had) isnt going to cover wages. And you still have an issue with those already contracted if we are going to play games. 

I am fairly sceptical even a club the size of Dundee could get near covering existing contract commitments from online streaming subs but dont know how many you have contracted, average wage, etc. Dundee of course have their insurance which will make up shortfall for a while (I bet the insurance co dont offer a renewal whenever its up though). As a result its prob in Dundee's interest to play. They will be better placed than most.

The season books are usually covered early on, so it would be interesting to see how many PATG fans would be willing to buy a pay per view ticket instead, I know I would, including away games I would rarely attend, like at your place.

I am also sure matchday security costs would well out weigh a streaming service.

11 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Eh?  

Read my post again.  I'm not actually leaving wages aside. 

20 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Even if we leave wages aside.

Sorry I must have read it wrong.

There's no need to come at me so negative, I just don't think it's a straight 'No' for this and should be looked at.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

Sorry I must have read it wrong.

There's no need to come at me so negative, I just don't think it's a straight 'No' for this and should be looked at.

Seriously, are you not understanding the point I was making about wages?