Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

21 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I guess you haven’t really listened to anybody about how the virus transmits from person to person.

Masks won’t stop the virus spreading. The only thing at the moment that slows the spread is social distancing ? Almost every country in the world insists on that even when they feel confident enough to ease lockdown.

He’ll be insisting that footballers buy houses next to the grounds next.  The guy is an attention seeking gimp.

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

On point 1, it doesn't matter. Some isn't really thay much better than none here. Having that income stream won't come close to plugging the gap that losing matchday income creates. Being able to stream games isn't a factor here because it will make no difference. Clubs still won't be able to afford to operate without matchday income.

You might well be right.  However, that must mean that you expect 2020/21 to be written off in the Championship.  In which case players will surely be given the 'article 12' treatment as soon as employers are required to pick up part of the cost of furlough payments.

1 minute ago, eibbod nehpets said:

You've got a real hardon for Article 12.

Article 12 is hard on players.  However, it may be better for players in the long run for a club to exercise article 12, go into hibernation and offer employment in the future.  That's better than clubs going into liquidation.  

2 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Article 12 is hard on players.  However, it may be better for players in the long run for a club to exercise article 12, go into hibernation and offer employment in the future.  That's better than clubs going into liquidation.  

Depends which clubs tbf

1 hour ago, virginton said:

There's no harm in the SPFL exploring every possible avenue - now that all the toys chucked out of the pram by Partick, Hearts, Sevco etc. have been swept into the bin - but the most straightforward way back still depends on the SG finally abandoning its gormless social distancing nonsense - replacing it with obviously superior measures like masks - and actually rolling out widespread testing and contact tracing.

Bizarre to see the stakeholders double down on the idea that players need fully six weeks of training before playing a competitive match though, given that they don't typically get that before the Betfred Cup starts in the middle of July as it is.

Aye nae bother borisTON

14 minutes ago, eibbod nehpets said:

Depends which clubs tbf

Agreed.  Fortunately it looks like Queens will be OK, it may be that the handful of players who are left can do stuff in the community once lockdown is eased a bit.

The teams who might have issues are not always the obvious ones.  Elgin have 9 players contracted after June.  In fairness to them they would have been hopeful of getting promotion through the play-offs, and if not being competitive in 2020/21 if they didn't succeed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52427942

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I guess you haven’t really listened to anybody about how the virus transmits from person to person.

Masks won’t stop the virus spreading. The only thing at the moment that slows the spread is social distancing ? Almost every country in the world insists on that even when they feel confident enough to ease lockdown.

Compare the caseload between social distancing obsessed, clowncar states like the UK, US, and Italy to countries that mandated mask use like South Korea, Singapore and Slovakia champ. The facts are overwhelming on this one: mass public use does stop the virus from spreading. Throw in mass testing and contact tracing and social distancing is redundant.

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

I can guess the stadiums and which clubs would get revenue for hosting.

The big wigs of Scottish Football have already set the bar with neutral grounds too. Ibrox is especially neutral if The Rangers are playing.

JS34959581.thumb.jpg.3ee136b4bc39af177134f975cbab26da.jpg1600892379_NadirCiftciRangersvDundeeUnitedWilliamZ_2xzZ1l8uxl.jpg.6da869730a7e8adbdfadeafebb9d251c.jpg713650631_NadirCiftciRangersvDundeeUnitedWilliam-EGAN-WA0Dkl.jpg.44538d6a39ce75dcac7860c82a32a7c1.jpg

18 minutes ago, DeeTillEhDeh said:

Have they found Scot Gardiner's head yet?

Think his brain might have transferred to @virginton considering he's saying stuff like Social Distancing is nonsense and a paper mask will save us all. 

Edited by rb123!

This stuff about paying to watch the closed door games online, it may have some benefit to teams.

For example, I am 90% certain I would not be travelling away to watch Dundee at QOTS, however charge say £10-£20 to watch it online, then I am 90% sure I would buy it.

I think this would be a better option than no football, it raises some form of income and give fans a chance to financially support clubs for something in return.

As long as the stream doesn't buffer ever 30 seconds.

Edited by johnnydun

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Think his brain might have transferred to @virginton considering he's saying stuff like Social Distancing is nonsense and a paper mask will save us all. 

You and indeed everyone else on the forum hadn't even heard of 'social distancing' until around three months ago, yet here you are clinging on to it like a wean's comfort blanket because the government has repeated a simplistic mantra over and over again in the period since. While the virus has somehow carried on regardless of this super-effective advice to bump off nearly 50k of the UK's population in the meantime.

But yeah clearly closing down huge tracts of the economy to keep arbitrary distancing in place is the sane response for the next 18 months.

Edited by vikingTON

Compare the caseload between social distancing obsessed, clowncar states like the UK, US, and Italy to countries that mandated mask use like South Korea, Singapore and Slovakia champ. The facts are overwhelming on this one: mass public use does stop the virus from spreading. Throw in mass testing and contact tracing and social distancing is redundant.

I think you have got it back to front. It was the contact tracing and isolating that reduced the spread. Wearing masks in these countries is a cultural norm even for a head cold.Also, people were willing to give up some of their privacy rights for contact tracing to work digitally.

9 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

This stuff about paying to watch the closed door games online, it may have some benefit to teams.

For example, I am 90% certain I would not be travelling away to watch Dundee at QOTS, however charge say £10-£20 to watch it online, then I am 90% sure I would buy it.

I think this would be a better option than no football, it raises some form of income and give fans a chance to financially support clubs for something in return.

QoS would be very grateful.

41 minutes ago, virginton said:

You and indeed everyone else on the forum hadn't even heard of 'social distancing' until around three months ago, yet here you are clinging on to it like a wean's comfort blanket because the government has repeated a simplistic mantra over and over again in the period since. While the virus has somehow carried on regardless of this super-effective advice to bump off nearly 50k of the UK's population in the meantime.

But yeah clearly closing down huge tracts of the economy to keep arbitrary distancing in place is the sane response for the next 18 months.

Nice to see you’re actually replying to the virginton tag now! 😂😂😂
It would be very much appreciated if you would socially distance yourself from your keyboard, mobile phone and tablet. Thank you.

PS -  and wear a mask too, if you want. 👍

49 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

There wouldn't be enough people doing it to come close to compensate for the loss of income I reckon. Therefore clubs are still going to have to find a way to plug a massive shortfall income.

Currently I can't see how they can do so.

39 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I think you have got it back to front. It was the contact tracing and isolating that reduced the spread. Wearing masks in these countries is a cultural norm even for a head cold.Also, people were willing to give up some of their privacy rights for contact tracing to work digitally.

Erm no, the UK abandoned contact tracing entirely two months ago: hence the car crash since. You bring it in alongside mass testing to isolate outbreaks within society; you use masks and ongoing good handwashing and cleaning practices to limit individual risk. 

Wearing masks is not a 'cultural norm' in Slovakia (nor any neighbouring states that adopted the practice as well): they adopted it overnight though because that was the correct public health advice given to protect themselves. Fast forward two months and they've had just twenty-seven deaths from coronavirus in total and are winding down their lockdown. Even the fucking pubs are opening again.

The rational way forward is pretty clear then. Though given that the governments of the UK and its population have clearly bought into their magical two metre distance message - despite it proving useless at massive cost to the economy and society - there might well another 6-12 months of this nonsense ahead. I suspect that economic reality will eventually do the job of consigning it to the bin though.