Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

55 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Do you have some inside information that the TV deal says the league must start in August? That would seem somewhat unlikely to me - surely it doesn't matter if we actually start in October as long as we deliver the number of contracted games promised. Even if the season ends up being shortened, the deal is only for 48 games, which the SPFL would obviously still be able to deliver to Sky, albeit the value might be reduced without the 4 Old Firm matches.

The deal obviously starts when the League begins in August that will be part of the agreement.  That said the broadcasters will likely be quite flexible in the circumstances 

1 hour ago, Spikethedee said:

Technically, a furloughed manager/coach shouldn't be watching video/footage of potential signings for next season, developing tactical formations or anything like that, but I presume that watching stuff at home on YouTube etc is practically unenforceable for the police, so would probably just happen (wife/girlfriend wanting jobs done around the house that you've been saying for the past ten years that you've got no time to do notwithstanding, of course!!)

Its not a police matter ffs! HMRC would put a tax inspector on it. And watching footage is never in a million years gojng to be a breach. We all watch footage. Thats like saying taking exercise is a breach for players. As I said, its not going to be an issue. They have bigger fish to fry than football clubs. 

1 hour ago, Fae_the_'briggs said:

I can't do a link (which would be another good thing to learn during the lockdown) but the wording is basically: "As a result (of being furloughed) staff,  including players and manager,  cannot talk to The Standard about football while they sidelined as a result of the government scheme." 

The Chairman,  obviously not a salaried staff member and not subject to the furlough,  can give interviews 

I suspect thats the Standard choosing not to put people in a position they are unsure of rather than any official line. Manager might be considered part of his job to talk to press though.

Has there not been a few instances of clubs not putting their manager on furlough despite putting the majority of its employees on it? This would make logical sense to be the reason. I could just be making that up though.

A manager designing a training program for a player to follow and keep themselves fit or an interview from a player/manager about the club being deemed as breaking the furlough would be extremely petty and tbh, I don't think we are in a time of pettiness. Common sense will be applied.

4 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Has there not been a few instances of clubs not putting their manager on furlough despite putting the majority of its employees on it? This would make logical sense to be the reason. I could just be making that up though.

A manager designing a training program for a player to follow and keep themselves fit or an interview from a player/manager about the club being deemed as breaking the furlough would be extremely petty and tbh, I don't think we are in a time of pettiness. Common sense will be applied.

I'm not sure Tommy Wright is, or Jason Kerr.

Our statement said a "small number" of playing and non-playing staff will remain non-furloughed to continue "club and media duties", and Kerr is currently doing a weekly blog for the club, while TW is still phoning older season ticket holders to have a chat with them.

Given there will be no large crowds allowed for a while, have there been any comments from within Scottish clubs about the viability of starting next season anywhere near August/September (assuming the government allow football to be played)?

I see the League of Ireland are asking all clubs to calculate how much they would lose due to playing behind closed doors. Many clubs don't seem to want to restart due to their heavy reliance on match day income.

I saw a similar story about the English lower leagues. A "senior source" in the National League basically saying clubs will go into hibernation for many months and you're delusional if you think clubs will just start the season without the prospect of fans any time soon.

37 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

We didn't put Alex Dyer on furlough (or James Fowler who is our head of football operations).

12 minutes ago, charger29 said:

Given there will be no large crowds allowed for a while, have there been any comments from within Scottish clubs about the viability of starting next season anywhere near August/September (assuming the government allow football to be played)?

I see the League of Ireland are asking all clubs to calculate how much they would lose due to playing behind closed doors. Many clubs don't seem to want to restart due to their heavy reliance on match day income.

I saw a similar story about the English lower leagues. A "senior source" in the National League basically saying clubs will go into hibernation for many months and you're delusional if you think clubs will just start the season without the prospect of fans any time soon.

It isn't sustainable here to play a large part of the season in empty stadiums.

Clubs could not afford to pay a squad and all associated staff, as well as all other associated costs of putting on games and the general day to day running of a club, without the income of season tickets and matchday income (walk up tickets and hospitality being the main ones).

3 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Surely Rangers haven't made an arse of things again? I was looking forward to Doncaster getting punted at the end of this. Poor form.

Yet Rangers fans are now all over Twitter either it never happened, the SPFL have bribed Deloitte, or they're also part of the "system".

"Dear All,

"You will all be aware of reports in the press, calling for an independent investigation and for the suspension of SPFL’s chief executive Neil Doncaster and SPFL’s legal counsel Rod McKenzie in relation to the resolution that enabled the payment of nearly £2 million to Championship, League One and League Two clubs.

"The focus of the questions raised in the press concerned the events of the evening of Friday 10 April, when Dundee FC attempted to return a voting slip to the SPFL in connection with the resolution.

"In order to ensure complete probity and independence during this process, on Thursday 16 April, Deloitte LLP, a leading global provider of audit and assurance services, was appointed by the SPFL’s independent non-executive directors to carry out a comprehensive and independent investigation into the factual chronology relating to Dundee FC’s return.

"Deloitte has completed its forensic investigation and the findings confirm the following sequence of key events on 10 April 2020.

"Sequence of key events on 10 April 2020.

"1. An SPFL Board Meeting commenced at 17:00 on Friday 10 April 2020. At the start of the meeting 38 returns had been identified as received, and 1 further return was received during the meeting at 17:10, bringing the total number of returns to 39. Ladbrokes Premier: 10 returns in favour, 1 against Ladbrokes Championship: 7 returns in favour, 2 against Ladbrokes Leagues One and Two: 16 returns in favour, 3 against.

"It was noted during the meeting that one vote remained outstanding from the Premiership, one from the Championship, and one from Leagues One and Two.

"2. The Board meeting concluded at around 17:15.

"3. At 17:15, Neil Doncaster called Dundee FC Managing Director, John Nelms, and left a message asking whether Dundee FC intended to submit a return.

"4. At 17:39, Neil Doncaster had a conversation with John Nelms and confirmed that as far as he knew, no vote had been returned from Dundee FC. John Nelms thought Dundee FC’s vote may have been returned, but would make enquiries.

"5. At 17:50, Eric Drysdale (Dundee FC Club Secretary) spoke to Iain Blair (SPFL’s Company Secretary and Director of Operations) asking whether Dundee FC’s return had been received. Iain Blair confirmed that it had not.

"6. At 18:00, a text was received by Iain Blair, from Eric Drysdale, intimating that the Dundee FC vote should not be considered as cast.

"7. At around 20:30, Ian Blair accessed the SPFL’s email quarantine system (which is a feature of the email system operated by a separate third party) at the suggestion of Rod Mackenzie and identified an unread email from Eric Drysdale that had been sent at 16:48 on 10 April 2020. Iain Blair released the quarantined email and it appeared in his SPFL email inbox at 20:55.

"Prior to identifying the quarantined email at around 20:30, no one from the SPFL had seen the email from Eric Drysdale.

"Deloitte’s examination of phone records, mobile communications (including texts) and email data has identified no evidence of improper behaviour by SPFL personnel concerning the submission of the Dundee FC vote.

"I hope that Scottish football will now focus on the significant issues that face our game, otherwise many clubs may not survive this period.

"We will have to be forward-thinking, and work collegiately to quickly present ideas and proposals to Scottish Government and others which will enable Scottish football to recover and progress.

"Make no mistake, this is a critical time for all clubs, and we must concentrate on what is important to the future of our game.

"Yours faithfully,

"Karyn McCluskey

"SPFL Independent Non-Executive Director"

3 questions,

Why it took 3 and a half hours for someone to think to look in the quarantine box?

Why haven’t the spfl  answered why they released the result of the incomplete vote?

Why are Dundee using bigtitties777xxx@yahoo.com as an email address?

Edited by parsforlife

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

Puzzled as to why this "open letter" to fans isn't on the SPFL website (yet).

It's been sent to the club chairmen I believe. SPFL site is a bit slow in updating stuff like this.

1 minute ago, parsforlife said:

3 questions,

Why it took 3 and a half hours for someone to think to look in the quarantine box?

Why haven’t the spfl  answered why they released the result of the incomplete vote?

Why are Dundee using bigtitties777xxx@yahoo.com as an email address?

1. It's the SPFL.
2. It's the SPFL.
3.  20180316_1106330.jpg

It isn't sustainable here to play a large part of the season in empty stadiums.
Clubs could not afford to pay a squad and all associated staff, as well as all other associated costs of putting on games and the general day to day running of a club, without the income of season tickets and matchday income (walk up tickets and hospitality being the main ones).
That's what I mean. Where are those comments about next season from within the clubs though?
From what I can see some smaller Premiership clubs are saying play in August as we want the TV money asap. £660,000 for each of the top division clubs in August last year apparently. I don't know how long that money will last for them or the equivalent figures from the championship and the lower leagues.