Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

TBF its true, even if you look at them since sacking Levein they were standouts for relegation.

I looked up the bottom half table for a relegation thread, and they'd collected 5 less points than anyone else in that time, and the next worse (Ross County) had two games in hand. 

Anyone who genuinely expected them to survive at this stage is at it.

Were they not unbeaten in 4 games before the St Mirren result (Which on its own could've allowed them to leapfrog St Mirren) including wins against Hibs, Rangers (Cup admittedly) and a draw  to Motherwell included?

That's not relegation form IMO. With 9 games to go, I think you can only be 'at it' to say they wouldn't have survived.

Were you not thinking Tommy Wright should leave St Johnstone a mere 9 games before that?

Read receipts on emails are for gimps and will automatically see their passive-aggressive mewling filed correctly in the 'deleted' folder in any respectable line of work.

Also I think I've learned to type in fluent virginton with the above, I like it.

Edit to add I forgot about that particular forum filter on VT. 😂

Edited by GiGi

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

Were they not unbeaten in 4 games before the St Mirren result 

They'd won 2 games in 3 months, and had just lost to a relegation rival.

If you look at the Hibs result, and the games after, every club had started to pull away from them.

In the league they didn't win a single game in February, and had lost as many as they won in March, and their next game was away to Livingston, who just didn't lose games at home to anybody.

Everything pointed to them going down.

33 minutes ago, third lanark said:

To be fair when you got relegated you had played the full season.  You can see the Hearts fans point, there were enough points left for Hearts still to be safe, so it was a different scenario

Yes and in an ideal world we would be having this discussion, but instead of an ideal world we are in the midst of the biggest crisis any of us will (hopefully) ever face.

Given that the SPFL has no contingency for dealing with this they have had to come up with a proposal, it’s certainly not an ideal proposal but it’s one that has the support of the overwhelming majority of the clubs.   It is also IMO the best of a bad bunch of options.

49 minutes ago, thistledo said:

What if this is all just a plot to keep us all entertained while no football is being played? It's working. 

Then at the end of it, it'll just be a fairly reasonable solution that obviously involves relegating Thistle and maybe pissing of the h*ns, cos... funny? 

Yip I’ve said the same thing.  The head says let’s get a resolution, the heart says the longer we’ve got this bizarre shit show the better.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

They'd won 2 games in 3 months, and had just lost to a relegation rival.

If you look at the Hibs result, and the games after, every club had started to pull away from them.

In the league they didn't win a single game in February, and had lost as many as they won in March, and their next game was away to Livingston, who just didn't lose games at home to anybody.

Everything pointed to them going down.

Everything pointed to St Johnstone going down at one point. You were even touting that Tommy Wright would be wise to take the Dundee job if we sacked McPake as he was done at St Johnstone.

There is so much of the season left to be played with 9 games left. As I said, there were promising results - A point against Motherwell and 2 wins against Hibs and Rangers respectively.

The month of February you paint as a particularly bad month -

They played 6 games. Progressed through to the next round in the cup twice - Beating Falkirk & Rangers.  They were beaten by Celtic and lost a fixture 2-3 against Killie whilst the other 2 games were draws. Hardly relegation material.

St Mirren are only ahead of Hearts in the form table due to the win on what will now be known as the last game of the season. Over the previous 5 games, they had picked up the exact same amount of points.

I'm not saying Hearts would've stayed up but to suggest that they wouldn't have and that if you think they would've you must be 'at it' is ludicrous hyperbole.

2 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

Everything pointed to St Johnstone going down at one point.

Yes, in December.

Hearts headed into mid-March four points adrift, 3 games from the split and, by a distance, the worst record in the league against bottom half sides. This was compounded by them losing their last game against a side directly above them without even threatening the goal.

They were down, and frankly I believe all promotions/relegations should be decided by me.

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, in December.

Hearts headed into mid-March four points adrift, 3 games from the split and, by a distance, the worst record in the league against bottom half sides. This was compounded by them losing their last game against a side directly above them without even threatening the goal.

They were down, and frankly I believe all promotions/relegations should be decided by me.

Green dot purely for the last line.

1 minute ago, Speroni*1 said:

Green dot purely for the last line.

Thank you.

Now head to my FM thread and give me advice 😂

4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What were the other 5 options that the SPFL dismissed according to Hearts?

I don’t know, but of the options I’ve seen discussed this, however flawed, is the best.

Void season - No.  Maybe if only 30% or 40% of the games had been played but not at the stage we stopped.

Play out the season regardless - No.  Not practical, not in the slightest.

Reconstruction - No.  Maybe there’s an argument for reconstruction but it should not be a knee-jerk response to a crisis like this.

IF someone had foresaw this at the start of the season and had to come up with a proposal to deal with such a scenario I think it would have been the one that is getting proposed; I genuinely do.  I also think it would have received unanimous support.  Probably with a caveat that the season would be voided if only x percent of games (maybe 50%, maybe less) had been played.

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Does anyone have any fucking clue what the Dundee stance is after that statement? I think I'm actually less the wiser than before it.

The putting their foot on the ball and pausing, you know like pirlo did before playing a world class pass, and not like at 5s when you have run blindly down the touch line and found out you have have no options and you hope one will suddenly appear before someone smashes you into the wall.

Edited by parsforlife

10 minutes ago, Granny Danger said:

I don’t know, but of the options I’ve seen discussed this, however flawed, is the best.

Void season - No.  Maybe if only 30% or 40% of the games had been played but not at the stage we stopped.

Play out the season regardless - No.  Not practical, not in the slightest.

Reconstruction - No.  Maybe there’s an argument for reconstruction but it should not be a knee-jerk response to a crisis like this.

IF someone had foresaw this at the start of the season and had to come up with a proposal to deal with such a scenario I think it would have been the one that is getting proposed; I genuinely do.  I also think it would have received unanimous support.  Probably with a caveat that the season would be voided if only x percent of games (maybe 50%, maybe less) had been played.

So it's the best of a bad bunch of options even though you admittedly don't know what the other options were? Makes sense.

1 minute ago, johnnydun said:

So it's the best of a bad bunch of options even though you admittedly don't know what the other options were? Makes sense.

I said out of the options I’ve seen.  If there are other options why not post them as opposed to trying to point score?

1 hour ago, Ad Lib said:

Does anyone have any fucking clue what the Dundee stance is after that statement? I think I'm actually less the wiser than before it.

Translated it was around the lines of:

"The Championship's more difficult than we thought it was going to be, any chance of reconstruction so we can get into the big league?"

The most pertinent thing for me was that they actually thought they had voted. You cant then surely say "hang on a minute until we maybe change our mind or maybe don't or maybe do." Laughing stock.

Imagine rocking up to your local polling station and asking if you can get your vote back so you can potentially change it? Baffling that these people are (apparently) successful at anything in life.

A tad off topic but in my humble opinion, this would be a good time for Scottish football to get back to the good old days. F uck Sky, f uck BT, f uck all TV companies. Get back to living within our means,no debt, Saturday 3pm kick offs with the very odd game being covered by BBC Scotland. Detest how the game has changed over the years. No one can ever convince me that TV has changed our game for the better. Them dictating how many old firm games there must be etc bursts my balls.

You want to see your team? Well pay at the gate. Seems to work ok in Welsh and Irish leagues. In fact, their National teams have flourished while ours has nosedived.

Not sure what we're chasing here in Scotland but it's pie in the sky stuff. English football will 100% implode, it may take up to 10 years, but there's nothing surer that it'll happen.

I can't be the only one that misses what we used to have.

Just now, Dele said:

Must have imagined that tear stained meltdown topic you posted in the aftermath. 

Yeah, that was embarrassing.  However at no point said did I claim that we didn’t deserve to go down, we absolutely did.  I moaned about the total ineptitude of the people who got us there but not about outcome.

1 minute ago, Jock Tamson said:

A tad off topic but in my humble opinion, this would be a good time for Scottish football to get back to the good old days. F uck Sky, f uck BT, f uck all TV companies. Get back to living within our means,no debt, Saturday 3pm kick offs with the very odd game being covered by BBC Scotland. Detest how the game has changed over the years. No one can ever convince me that TV has changed our game for the better. Them dictating how many old firm games there must be etc bursts my balls.

You want to see your team? Well pay at the gate. Seems to work ok in Welsh and Irish leagues. In fact, their National teams have flourished while ours has nosedived.

Not sure what we're chasing here in Scotland but it's pie in the sky stuff. English football will 100% implode, it may take up to 10 years, but there's nothing surer that it'll happen.

I can't be the only one that misses what we used to have.

Welsh and Irish leagues are complete fucking dung and the only reason they have better national teams than us are because they have a ton of players at a reasonably high level in England plus generally better management until recently.

I don't think losing millions of pounds in TV money is going to make Scottish football any better to watch, especially when it bankrupts 80% of the clubs.

Welsh and Irish leagues are complete fucking dung and the only reason they have better national teams than us are because they have a ton of players at a reasonably high level in England plus generally better management until recently.

I don't think losing millions of pounds in TV money is going to make Scottish football any better to watch, especially when it bankrupts 80% of the clubs.

The quality was pretty good in the 70s and 80s before this Sky pish.

As for bankruptcy, ach well, too many clubs in Scotland anyway.