Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

12 hours ago, RedLichtie86 said:

League reconstruction is the only way through this.

If football is suspended beyond August/September we face a much narrower window to try and fit a full 36/38 game season. More if we have playoffs and cups.

If European competitions remain in place they will eat up a lot of midweeks if teams from Scotland progress.

International weekends will also eat into the time available and with Euro 2021, domestic football will have to end at an earlier date than normal.

If we somehow get the league started in August then we could have the same setup as we do now. But if start heading to September/October then a shorter season will be required which a new setup will be needed.

11 hours ago, craigkillie said:

You can very easily have a shorter season without any reconstruction by just playing each other 2/3 times.

Or just finish this one where it is and void it or award it as it stands. They are all controversial but it's absolute nonsense to suggest the ONLY way through it is reconstruction.

17 hours ago, jagsfan57 said:

Currently not every team has played the same number of games. They haven’t played the same number of home and away and they have played all the teams the same number of time. That’s why using current standings isn’t fairer.

Says a fan of a team staring at relegation.

1 hour ago, Smokerson said:

Play out the season and shorten next season or just play more midweeks. There is no need for reconstruction.

If mid week was brought in they may as well give it to Celtic. That intense run of games over January to March indicated that Rangers cant go the distance in those circumstances. 

Let me get this straight: fans of clubs in the top 4 of their league want reconstruction, and fans of clubs in 5th and 6th place don't? 

Just now, Big Shedboy said:

So letting shite teams off the hook is fairer than rewarding teams who've gained positive results over approx three quarters of a season?

Maybe we should take clubs spending into it too, in that case? 

Should frugal teams be punished due to other teams massively overspending to achieve positive results? 

1 minute ago, Big Shedboy said:

So letting shite teams off the hook is fairer than rewarding teams who've gained positive results over approx three quarters of a season?

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

5 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can't please all of the people all of the time.

That's my point, really. I was disagreeing with the point that cancelling the season is the fairest way. 

I see on Twitter that Morton are asking for fans to donate to the club to help them out. I suspect others will be coming forward imminently with similar appeals.

28 minutes ago, Big Shedboy said:

If it's to the detriment of Dundee United I see no issue with such a suggestion.  

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Hearts have announced a 50% wages cut across the board. Surely many more to flollow.

As for large gatherings I'm not sure how that will unfold, but today China have announced that citizens are being allowed back on the street, that's just over three months since the virus started in Wuhan.

Thing is with a vaccine that long away would you risk mingling in large crowds if they lifted the ban in say three months.?

Do you believe information from China?

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

He's right though. It's the biggest single reason why the draw a line where we are approach is imo more unfair than other options.

Draw the line at 27 games - scratching the result of the last match for most clubs - and no grave unfairness exists.

20 minutes ago, RiG said:

I see on Twitter that Morton are asking for fans to donate to the club to help them out. I suspect others will be coming forward imminently with similar appeals.

That's not quite true. There's been a fans' group supporting the club's finances in exchange for shares and a partial debt write-off since the start of the season: that group is simply appealing for increased and new contributions to it in light of the current situation. Obviously the club would welcome extra funds but it reads to me as the fans' group's initiative rather than an appeal by GMFC.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

That's not quite true. There's been a fans' group supporting the club's finances in exchange for shares and a partial debt write-off since the start of the season: that group is simply appealing for increased and new contributions to it in light of the current situation. Obviously the club would welcome extra funds but it reads to me as the fans' group's initiative rather than an appeal by GMFC.

Ah I see cheers. I'm fully expecting something similar from ICT (Supporters Trust) in due course.  The financial situation with us is well known and the loss of whatever fan income we would normally get is going to be another blow to the club.