Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

7 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Promotion is *usually* at the expense of a relegated team. The essence of sporting disadvantage therefore flows from the fact that the sporting advantage of promotion has an equal and opposite reaction.

When the two are not reciprocal: i.e. are deliberately decoupled, different criteria apply as to whether the proposal is fair.

In this instance, reconstruction would be a recognition that external circumstances have made any plausible way of concluding the season unfair, while also recognising that outright denying any sporting advantage to leading clubs would also be perceived as unfair.

My case however, is that the "decoupling" conscious or otherwise, is not really necessary.

I think opposite reactions can and should occur.

14 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Don't see why that matters, just more motivation to push it through for some, all to the good.

The "all to the good" part is debatable though.

If I don't see it as ultimately desirable, why would I welcome it being "pushed through" on this premise?

Edited by Monkey Tennis

1 minute ago, Monkey Tennis said:

My case however, is that the "decoupling" conscious or otherwise, is not really necessary.

I think opposite reactions can and should occur.

If you don't think decoupling is a legitimate option in response to these circumstances, then you should argue for either the abolition of promotion and relegation this season, or for the outright nulling-and-voiding of the season.

If you accept that the literally unique circumstances of an across-the-board incomplete fixture list requires a bespoke solution that recognises no club has fully "earned" their predicament, and that some predicaments are harder-edged and therefore more unfair than others, on the other hand, decoupling is completely reasonable.

32 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

The "all to the good" part is debatable though.

If I don't see it as ultimately desirable, so why would I welcome it being "pushed through" on this premise?

Well, naturally if you're against it, this won't change that. If you're in favour of it it's an opportunity to be seized, whether some teams benefit more than others in the short term or not. 

Edited by welshbairn

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

If you don't think decoupling is a legitimate option in response to these circumstances, then you should argue for either the abolition of promotion and relegation this season, or for the outright nulling-and-voiding of the season.

If you accept that the literally unique circumstances of an across-the-board incomplete fixture list requires a bespoke solution that recognises no club has fully "earned" their predicament, and that some predicaments are harder-edged and therefore more unfair than others, on the other hand, decoupling is completely reasonable.

My preferences were genuinely for concluding this season whenever, and truncating the next one as necessary, or failing that, going for null and void.

Apparently, they can't happen though, so making decisions based on current standings looks fairest.  I don't really buy the "harder edged" idea.  That is part of football.

24 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

You are just as big a cretin as him.

17 minutes ago, Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier said:

Oh my! Ayr fans still seething at their chairman bending over and taking SPFL boaby. 

@Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier having an absolute meltdown here of the highest proportion, that's saying something going by P&B standards.

Has obviously come to the sudden realisation this morning that his club is going to most likely be in the seaside league next year.

Edited by rb123!

If it turns out to be true that we've agreed a few friendlies in exchange for our vote, a lot of people are very naive as to that being the only thing agreed. Publicly, maybe.

18 minutes ago, rb123! said:

@Highlandmagyar 2nd Tier having an absolute meltdown here of the highest proportion, that's saying something going by P&B standards.

Has obviously come to the sudden realisation this morning that his club is going to most likely be in the seaside league next year.

Leave him alone.

He's just sore that he'll need to update the last part of his username.

There are 20 people following this thread. Imagine getting a notification every time there's a post. Go for a cup of tea and come back "Granny danger, Ad Lib and 349 others have replied to this thread".