Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I thought one of the issues was that if it was voided then the current broadcasters would still be due the entire season. Declare it finished and they might claim back the money for unfulfilled fixtures, but declare the whole thing void and the risk is in declaring that none of the season's fixtures were actually fulfilled (since all matches are declared void).

Which is an especially big problem considering the SPFL are moving from one broadcaster to another. 

That'll never fly legally - they've had the 'benefit' of the product up to now, so can't ask for a refund on it. 

Otherwise they'd have to start paying back THEIR sponsors and the customers that pay their monthly subscriptions. 

Things cannot be unwatched. I'm a Thistle supporter - I've tried. 

1 hour ago, The DA said:

What if a club is overpaid this season but goes bust anyway and is replaced by another club for next season?  You can't penalise the new replacement club so the SPFL might be short by a few million.

Thinking of any particular club?

8 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

I thought one of the issues was that if it was voided then the current broadcasters would still be due the entire season. Declare it finished and they might claim back the money for unfulfilled fixtures, but declare the whole thing void and the risk is in declaring that none of the season's fixtures were actually fulfilled (since all matches are declared void).

Which is an especially big problem considering the SPFL are moving from one broadcaster to another. 

That’s not possible. Even if it was just call season cancelled or abandoned instead

5 minutes ago, bad chad said:

That'll never fly legally - they've had the 'benefit' of the product up to now, so can't ask for a refund on it. 

Otherwise they'd have to start paying back THEIR sponsors and the customers that pay their monthly subscriptions. 

Things cannot be unwatched. I'm a Thistle supporter - I've tried. 

Whatever flies or doesn't fly, legal speaking, will be down to what is on the contract. 

The contract between the SPFL and BT Sport is an entirely different thing to the contracts between BT Sport and their customers, for example. What you're suggesting doesn't follow whatsoever. 

I wasn't suggesting I have an inside knowledge of the actual contracts or reasons, just what my understanding was. 

If the season is voided, will the TV companies and other sponsors want some of their money back?  The EPL say that BT and Premier Sports are being less accommodating than Sky and even then, Sky may be looking for money back for cancelled matches. 
If this happens,would the SPFL actually have any prize money to distribute?

In terms of things like the TV deal for the season voided and for attaining European competition places, voiding causes some very major financial issues. I'm not sure the full financial package would there at all if the season was declared null and void. It's not a desirable option, and not an option that leagues around Europe I think will take. 

So neither of you know.

Thank you.

4 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Whatever flies or doesn't fly, legal speaking, will be down to what is on the contract. 

The contract between the SPFL and BT Sport is an entirely different thing to the contracts between BT Sport and their customers, for example. What you're suggesting doesn't follow whatsoever. 

I wasn't suggesting I have an inside knowledge of the actual contracts or reasons, just what my understanding was. 

I'd be shocked if that would be the case - heads would have to roll if they've signed a contract that provides product without renumeration. 

I've been looking at some of my supplier contracts due to this, and there's no remote possibility that I would be able to claim money back for a product or service I've used. 

And it DOES fly - TV companies are already providing pauses and credits due to the situation, as they know that they wouldn't have a hope of winning a legal case. 

Told you last time you raised this - it's ridiculous to use the example of one game cancelled in normal circumstances with plenty of opportunity to reschedule it  as a precedent for a whole season of games over four divisions in circumstances where there is no chance of rescheduling the games. Null and void isn't an option here. 

Oh, amongst the gazillion posts on this thread I must have missed you telling me. Consider me telt now and I won’t raise the issues again Neil, sorry.

Try as they might nobody has been able to dissuade me of the opinion that the football precedent is, if an event isn’t concluded then it is declared null and void. No points awarded, no entry to the next round and in in this case no promotions either. Marvellous [emoji4][emoji4][emoji4]

11 minutes ago, bad chad said:

I'd be shocked if that would be the case - heads would have to roll if they've signed a contract that provides product without renumeration. 

I've been looking at some of my supplier contracts due to this, and there's no remote possibility that I would be able to claim money back for a product or service I've used. 

And it DOES fly - TV companies are already providing pauses and credits due to the situation, as they know that they wouldn't have a hope of winning a legal case. 

Again, why would there be a correlation between two entirely different types of contract?

24 minutes ago, John Lambies Doos said:

I thought league season timing was continuously changing over next couple of seasons to accommodate Qatar world cup. If so, surely this is a great opportunity for restructuring and league calender changes.
And of course to keep the Arabs Doon.....

There will have to be calendar changes for the World Cup, yeah. A problem with that is leagues will now have to be structured around the now-delayed Euros as well.

8 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

There will have to be calendar changes for the World Cup, yeah. A problem with that is leagues will now have to be structured around the now-delayed Euros as well.

You're right but it's a pity that international football, that most of us don't care about much, is prioritised over club-level football.

7 minutes ago, The DA said:

You're right but it's a pity that international football, that most of us don't care about much, is prioritised over club-level football.

One answer to that is the national team become full-time for a season or two. The SPFL clubs contribute to the SFA to pay  their wages. Then we'll see how good the national manager is.

45 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

Try as they might nobody has been able to dissuade me of the opinion that the football precedent is, if an event isn’t concluded then it is declared null and void. No points awarded, no entry to the next round and in in this case no promotions either. Marvellous emoji4.pngemoji4.pngemoji4.png

So if that’s the case no teams from Scotland going into European competitions next season 

31 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

Again, why would there be a correlation between two entirely different types of contract?

Because it's fundamentally the same - I can't ask BT to return my cash for the services theyve provided - and that I've consumed - up to this point. 

BT also  cant do this to the league - IN MY LIMITED OPINION. 

It's a good faith issue. We've supplied, they've consumed. 

You may be a Contract lawyer, and will therefore be far more knowledgeable than me on this, if so fair play.