Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

What about voiding the season but working out a financial package for each team similar to what they were going to get from the current proposal?

If the season is voided, will the TV companies and other sponsors want some of their money back?  The EPL say that BT and Premier Sports are being less accommodating than Sky and even then, Sky may be looking for money back for cancelled matches. 

If this happens,would the SPFL actually have any prize money to distribute?

8 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

I think everyone was wanting this to be the case, but now it doesn't look like it could happen within a reasonable time frame. New tv deal for the top league kicks in on a certain date. Things probably need finalised before that happens I'm guessing. 

Summer football, do most people want it and what about the international competitions the next two summers?

Can we not just withdraw from the World Cup and European Championships?  That way we can miss out the middle bit where we lose the group stages.  Everyone’s a winner.

2 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

What about voiding the season but working out a financial package for each team similar to what they were going to get from the current proposal?

In terms of things like the TV deal for the season voided and for attaining European competition places, voiding causes some very major financial issues. I'm not sure the full financial package would there at all if the season was declared null and void. It's not a desirable option, and not an option that leagues around Europe I think will take. 

3 minutes ago, Shadow Play said:

Can we not just withdraw from the World Cup and European Championships?  That way we can miss out the middle bit where we lose the group stages.  Everyone’s a winner.

😄 Aye we sure could, though as Queens are stacked with internationals from all over Europe, we may struggle to field a team during those competitions.

On 11/04/2020 at 21:43, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit?

There's (to all intents) no more cash which isn't positional dependent. Are you not understanding that? Everyone in each division has had the same amount, which corresponds (almost) to the 10th place prize. They can't give anything else out whilst the League hangs in suspension because they won't have it to pay later.

They could pay out based on current positions of course but what if they gave say the 8th place prize to Alloa and then we eventually did play out the League and they slump to bottom. They need to get that money back to pay it to Partick Thistle. How do you plan to sort that out?

There's no more money to pay out unless positions are set. Or unless you wish to propose a different payout model. I doubt Dundee and Inverness would be so magnanimous about giving up some of their due prize money so everyone gets some extra money though.

I think there's a difficulty attached to the fact that this case has not been made, sufficiently clearly.

Those on Sportsound certainly displayed no grasp of it.  Due to your professional background, and your role at Queens, this seems blindingly obvious, but it's not for most until it's explained.

On 11/04/2020 at 21:43, Skyline Drifter said:

Whit?

There's (to all intents) no more cash which isn't positional dependent. Are you not understanding that? Everyone in each division has had the same amount, which corresponds (almost) to the 10th place prize. They can't give anything else out whilst the League hangs in suspension because they won't have it to pay later.

They could pay out based on current positions of course but what if they gave say the 8th place prize to Alloa and then we eventually did play out the League and they slump to bottom. They need to get that money back to pay it to Partick Thistle. How do you plan to sort that out?

There's no more money to pay out unless positions are set. Or unless you wish to propose a different payout model. I doubt Dundee and Inverness would be so magnanimous about giving up some of their due prize money so everyone gets some extra money though.

Subtract Alloa's overpayment from its in-season payments for 2020-21. Add to Thistle's 2020-21 payments with an overpayment covering what they were underpaid.

2 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Subtract Alloa's overpayment from its in-season payments for 2020-21. Add to Thistle's 2020-21 payments with an overpayment covering what they were underpaid.

What if a club is overpaid this season but goes bust anyway and is replaced by another club for next season?  You can't penalise the new replacement club so the SPFL might be short by a few million.

2 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Good news never sold newspapers, these journos love to mix it up to get reactions.

Today's newspapers are yesterdays news.

They are a dying business, as a colleague once said, 'There used to be Blacksmiths'.

I wish folk would stop calling them journalists. They're nothing of the sort. 'Salespeople' is a much more fitting term 

30 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

I think everyone was wanting this to be the case, but now it doesn't look like it could happen within a reasonable time frame. New tv deal for the top league kicks in on a certain date. Things probably need finalised before that happens I'm guessing. 

Summer football, do most people want it and what about the international competitions the next two summers?

I don't want it to be the case. I think 'summer' football would be shit.

14 minutes ago, SpoonTon said:

In terms of things like the TV deal for the season voided and for attaining European competition places, voiding causes some very major financial issues. I'm not sure the full financial package would there at all if the season was declared null and void. It's not a desirable option, and not an option that leagues around Europe I think will take. 

Not just the TV deal but all sponsorship money would be under threat.

1 minute ago, The DA said:

What if a club is overpaid this season but goes bust anyway and is replaced by another club for next season?  You can't penalise the new replacement club so the SPFL might be short by a few million.

This isn't the order of magnitude we're talking about for any of the tiers. Thistle aren't about to win the Championship.

If Clubs go bust while unjustly enriched a five or low six figure sum, and the SPFL as a consequence cannot then pay underpaid clubs, the clubs that would otherwise lose out should be eligible for some form of financial support from the other Clubs. Spread across 42 teams this should not place any teams at a significant financial disadvantage.

I might be asking a stupid question(!) here, but why would broadcasters and sponsors ask for their money back if the season was voided, but not if the season was called to a close? 

Both lead to the same outcome from their point of view. 

2 minutes ago, bad chad said:

I might be asking a stupid question(!) here, but why would broadcasters and sponsors ask for their money back if the season was voided, but not if the season was called to a close? 

Well indeed. This is one of the bizarre things in all of this.

Surely the TV and sponsors' gripe is that they didn't receive a product from March onwards (whether something to broadcast or advertising exposure connected to something that was broadcast).

Absolutely no one is going to decide whether to place a bet at Ladbrokes on whether Raith Rovers were or were not crowned Ladbrokes League One Champions 2019-20.

38 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

This isn't the order of magnitude we're talking about for any of the tiers. Thistle aren't about to win the Championship.

If Clubs go bust while unjustly enriched a five or low six figure sum, and the SPFL as a consequence cannot then pay underpaid clubs, the clubs that would otherwise lose out should be eligible for some form of financial support from the other Clubs. Spread across 42 teams this should not place any teams at a significant financial disadvantage.

Rangers are due a final payment of somewhere around a million.

I agree that the clubs would need to share the pain but that pain comes from the proposal to possibly overpay now and recover next season.

2 minutes ago, The DA said:

Rangers are due a final payment of somewhere around a million.

I agree that the clubs would need to share the pain but that pain comes from the proposal to possibly overpay now and recover next season.

Rangers aren't going to win the SPFL Premiership. Celtic are.

14 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Well indeed. This is one of the bizarre things in all of this.

Surely the TV and sponsors' gripe is that they didn't receive a product from March onwards (whether something to broadcast or advertising exposure connected to something that was broadcast).

Absolutely no one is going to decide whether to place a bet at Ladbrokes on whether Raith Rovers were or were not crowned Ladbrokes League One Champions 2019-20.

You would imagine the SPFL and/or the broadcasters might have insurance in place for delayed or non-fulfilment of fixtures. 

5 hours ago, Granny Danger said:

How many pages we will manage today of people repeating exactly the same thing and speculating without having any further information?

Get your calculator out.

29 minutes ago, bad chad said:

I thought one of the issues was that if it was voided then the current broadcasters would still be due the entire season. Declare it finished and they might claim back the money for unfulfilled fixtures, but declare the whole thing void and the risk is in declaring that none of the season's fixtures were actually fulfilled (since all matches are declared void).

Which is an especially big problem considering the SPFL are moving from one broadcaster to another.