Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I couldn't begin to give you all the reasons it's a non-starter.

That’s fine. I think so as well, but splitting into regional leagues was the solution that was applied the last time there was a prolonged  interruption to the ability to play football. Obviously a World War is very different to a Helath Epidemic, but the threat to games is similar - its unclear when games can be played and it’s unclear how long the disruption will last. 

At the moment the previous 160 pages are basically arguments about trying to fit square pegs into round holes. There is no fair solution and there is no solution that can guarantee that the same problems don’t come back in 6 months.  I actually wonder if this is what Nelms was talking about in his rather baffling message yesterday. Either way, creativity and a cold head are needed to get to a solution that will keep as many clubs as possible solvent over the next 2 years 

4 minutes ago, mychurch said:

That’s fine. I think so as well, but splitting into regional leagues was the solution that was applied the last time there was a prolonged  interruption to the ability to play football. Obviously a World War is very different to a Helath Epidemic, but the threat to games is similar - its unclear when games can be played and it’s unclear how long the disruption will last. 

At the moment the previous 160 pages are basically arguments about trying to fit square pegs into round holes. There is no fair solution and there is no solution that can guarantee that the same problems don’t come back in 6 months.  I actually wonder if this is what Nelms was talking about in his rather baffling message yesterday. Either way, creativity and a cold head are needed to get to a solution that will keep as many clubs as possible solvent over the next 2 years 

Too much has changed since then and the degrees of self interest have multiplied a million per cent. All the positivity of the 18/20/22 or suggestions like yours just don't address the reality. It's shite but it's where we are.

If Dundee have sent their vote and its failed to arrive at the SPFL, it would take them 5 minutes to prove they sent it, and the vote would be already over and done with.
It seems clear Dundee never sent it.
The deadline was 28 days, not 5 on Friday, so they still have time to officially cast their vote.

So why did all but 1 submit by 5pm.

Irrespective, the purpose was so that funds could be distributed now ( which I understand could have been distributed anytime by SPFL without final placings).

So potentially 2 misleading directions by SPFL board and should all resign.

41 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Nothing about Thistle's approach to Ian McCall was illegal, champ.

This is what Lachlan Cameron said at the time:

"But, as part of [McCall's] contract negotiations for his current contract, part of the deal to keep him was that we agreed between us, if somebody came calling, I'd always give him the opportunity to speak to them - most of them he has turned down, but this one he didn't."

Back under your rock.

It was clear from things McCall let slip in the media that he was being tapped before the official approach. There is also.a quote from Lachlan Cameron somewhere which was more than just a sly dig at Patrick's conduct.

7 hours ago, mychurch said:

If somebody from the Championship was going to hold the balance of power, it really has to be someone other than Partick or Inverness. Although it looks like Dundee are complicit in this, it’s just as likely that the Dundee received a call after the 3 no votes were received and that we are being used as a pawn to stop the whole thing breaking down. 

I have been a Dundee fan long enough to know that we don’t do well as favourite, and that having a 14 team SPFL is  no reason to believe we would wine the Championship that’s left behind. It might increase our odds, but I can’t really see that that is in our interest. 

14 team SPFL? Bold.

How will it be decided who is in it? What happens to the other 28 teams? How many leagues will this 14 team SPFL consist of? 

Can't see two thirds of teams voting themselves out of the SPFL.

This is fantastic banter by Dundee and the SPFL are too weak willed to show any signs of leadership and do anything about it so far.

SPFL are the eggs in this situation, and John Nelms is rolling them about silly.

Raith's chairman greeting in the Courier is absolutely fantastic.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1260811/raith-rovers-chairman-bill-clark-claims-dundee-risk-become-pariahs-if-they-vote-against-spfl-proposal/

Edited by Speroni*1

2 minutes ago, RedEd said:

It was clear from things McCall let slip in the media that he was being tapped before the official approach. There is also.a quote from Lachlan Cameron somewhere which was more than just a sly dig at Patrick's conduct.

None of this implies illegal conduct by Thistle.

Zero points.

13 minutes ago, mychurch said:

There's another whole sub forum where people can post outlandish proposals that will never happen to their hearts content.

1 minute ago, Ad Lib said:

None of this implies illegal conduct by Thistle.

Zero points.

Good for you. We know he was speaking to some of those involved in the takeover because he actually said so. Although that doesn't prove conclusively that he was tapped, there's a fair chance the subject of the next manager was mentioned.

8 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

So why did all but 1 submit by 5pm.

Irrespective, the purpose was so that funds could be distributed now ( which I understand could have been distributed anytime by SPFL without final placings).

So potentially 2 misleading directions by SPFL board and should all resign.

The SPFL have already distributed the funds clubs minus the final placings. Every club was given on 20th March the money that the bottom club in their prospective leagues would receive. This current situation is so that the difference which is based on finishing position can be paid out. 

To change this and distribute the rest of the money evenly would require the SPFL articles.of association to be changed via a vote by its members. We all know how good the SPFL & its members are at votes!!

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

You understand wrongly then.

You've probably answered this a dozen time over, so apologies, but what are the rules here? Why couldn't the SPFL members vote s rule change to divorce the money from the final standings?

Guest Flash
15 minutes ago, Speroni*1 said:

This is fantastic banter by Dundee and the SPFL are too weak willed to show any signs of leadership and do anything about it so far.

SPFL are the eggs in this situation, and John Nelms is rolling them about silly.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/dundee-fc/1260811/raith-rovers-chairman-bill-clark-claims-dundee-risk-become-pariahs-if-they-vote-against-spfl-proposal/

Why would Raith be “put down into League 2” if they went into administration in July? 

Do you honestly believe that Nelms is in total control here?

The way I see it is that he's backed himself into a corner with no easy way to escape. No matter which way he votes now, his reputation has taken a dunt. All for what? What's the best Dundee can do out of this? League reconstruction with 14 teams is the best he can hope for imo, and even at that, he's stuck in the Championship for at least another year.

I get that Dundee fans are loving the chaos that their club is causing but it's purely for banter reasons only. For a long time now, Nelms has pretty much been public enemy no1 with the Dundee fans, now they're somehow lauding this shit show. Trying to cover up the absolute mess they've made of this me thinks.

As for Nelms and Keyes, this could be the moment that defines their time in Scotland. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if they drop the club like a hot stone in the coming months.

10 minutes ago, renton said:

You've probably answered this a dozen time over, so apologies, but what are the rules here? Why couldn't the SPFL members vote s rule change to divorce the money from the final standings?

They could (although I doubt such a vote would get through). But that's not what he said. He said they could distribute the rest of the money anytime without final placings. The SPFL has already distributed all of the money which is not dependent on final placings. In order to distribute the rest of the money they either need to declare the final placings (which is what they tried to do) or agree a rule change with a different model of some sort. Either way it would need a 75% majority by the same three categories (Premiership, Championship and League 1 / 2). They cannot distribute the remainder of the money any other way under the existing rules.

4 minutes ago, Jock Tamson said:

Do you honestly believe that Nelms is in total control here?

The way I see it is that he's backed himself into a corner with no easy way to escape. No matter which way he votes now, his reputation has taken a dunt. All for what? What's the best Dundee can do out of this? League reconstruction with 14 teams is the best he can hope for imo, and even at that, he's stuck in the Championship for at least another year.

I get that Dundee fans are loving the chaos that their club is causing but it's purely for banter reasons only. For a long time now, Nelms has pretty much been public enemy no1 with the Dundee fans, now they're somehow lauding this shit show. Trying to cover up the absolute mess they've made of this me thinks.

As for Nelms and Keyes, this could the moment that defines their time in Scotland. Wouldn't be surprised one bit if they drop the club like a hot stone in the coming months.

:lol:

Oh my days.