Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

4 minutes ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Championship clubs agree to go to five subs for the remainder of the season. 

I'm not particularly keen on the idea. You'd have to imagine it'll work in Killie's favour in particular, looking at the strength in depth they've got compared to the rest of the league. 

Yep, stupid idea. Most championship clubs struggle to name a 7 man bench without increasing it to a potential 9 and using 5. I'm very surprised at least 6 clubs presumably backed this change. Doubt we were one. Bound to benefit the biggest squad clubs most.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yep, stupid idea. Most championship clubs struggle to name a 7 man bench without increasing it to a potential 9 and using 5. I'm very surprised at least 6 clubs presumably backed this change. Doubt we were one. Bound to benefit the biggest squad clubs most.

Considering how loathe Johnston often is to make subs in 'normal' times, he was almost certainly against this!

I think this might become a more permanent thing in a few years though, and of course driven by big teams with huge squads with no regards for smaller teams.

Considering how loathe Johnston often is to make subs in 'normal' times, he was almost certainly against this!
I think this might become a more permanent thing in a few years though, and of course driven by big teams with huge squads with no regards for smaller teams.
Yeah it seems inevitable that it will become permanent.

52 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

To be fair, the Championship was the only division not to operate it last season and I think league 2 has been operating all season this year. Not saying that within the division it's not the bigger clubs pushing it but it's not as if the diddiest among us haven't been on board with it too.

It's mental, I don't get it at all. It also means bigger clubs will be more loathe to let players out on loan as they've now got two more matchday squad spots to fill. Why anyone outside the Premiership or possibly Kilmarnock would vote for this is beyond me!

2 hours ago, Raith Against The Machine said:

Championship clubs agree to go to five subs for the remainder of the season. 

I'm not particularly keen on the idea. You'd have to imagine it'll work in Killie's favour in particular, looking at the strength in depth they've got compared to the rest of the league. 

Having more crap players to bring on won't help them. 

6 minutes ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Another stupid bloody idea.

All it does is further advantage the clubs that have greater advantages in the first place.

In theory yeah and it would at points I imagine, but any team changing half of the outfield players in the one game seems like it would have a bit of a chaotic effect. Not easy coming on as a sub and 5 changes would disrupt the team a bit surely. Usually it’s 1 or 2 subs around the hour and then maybe a late late one. Not sure all 5 would get used too often 

1 minute ago, 1320Lichtie said:

In theory yeah and it would at points I imagine, but any team changing half of the outfield players in the one game seems like it would have a bit of a chaotic effect. Not easy coming on as a sub and 5 changes would disrupt the team a bit surely. Usually it’s 1 or 2 subs around the hour and then maybe a late late one. Not sure all 5 would get used too often 

It's not just the capacity to change half the team in one go though, is it?  It's that 9 can be stripped, allowing further scope to make targeted alterations.  

As pointed out elsewhere, it encourages large squads for those with the means, and discourages loans.