Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

3 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The Premiership clubs moved their lucrative New Year fixtures to now be shunted on to a midweek - many will undoubtedly lose out on income as a result of that. There's also potential loss of income from having to postpone matches at short notice.

There are costs. He's completely fixated on income (which as you say isn't that black and white anyway) but he's ignoring the fact moving games, changing ticketing, cancelling staff, etc all has a cost. Clubs who didn't play a home game will still have suffered losses. Not to the same extent of course but they aren't unaffected.

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

There are costs. He's completely fixated on income (which as you say isn't that black and white anyway) but he's ignoring the fact moving games, changing ticketing, cancelling staff, etc all has a cost. Clubs who didn't play a home game will still have suffered losses. Not to the same extent of course but they aren't unaffected.

Scrambling to get his grubby hands on any Covid cash going. 

39 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I knew you would think that my argument would make me an SNP supporter. Even for Delta the outcome for most was not serious.  

You talk about apples and oranges but South Africa is an ok comparison. No sense in this.

You are kidding yourself if you think Boris didn’t impose restrictions, other than because the Tories wouldn’t stand for it. 
I am not sure they made the right call - 360 deaths in England yesterday.

The question you need to ask yourself is what is the threshold of deaths that you are prepared to “live” with when eventually we decide this is endemic. Is it yesterday’s level ? 

Bangs head off wall 

Dont even know why I am getting into this again but 379 people did not die from Covid yesterday 

379 deaths were REPORTED yesterday from people who have died within 28 days of a positive Covid test

2 years into this and people cannot make this distinction 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, jagsfan57 said:

I knew you would think that my argument would make me an SNP supporter. Even for Delta the outcome for most was not serious.  

You talk about apples and oranges but South Africa is an ok comparison. No sense in this.

You are kidding yourself if you think Boris didn’t impose restrictions, other than because the Tories wouldn’t stand for it. 
I am not sure they made the right call - 360 deaths in England yesterday.

The question you need to ask yourself is what is the threshold of deaths that you are prepared to “live” with when eventually we decide this is endemic. Is it yesterday’s level ? 

What is wrong with using South Africa as a comparison? Most demographic differences between here and there would suggest that their outcomes would be worse than ours.

That’s the legislation published removing the 500 capacity limit (The Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Amendment Regulations 2022 para 2(4)) and changing the covid passports to include boosters. Also removes the requirement for social distancing in outdoor stadiums. This is what the amended SG guidance issued yesterday was referring to as it changes the Health Protection (Coronavirus) (Requirements) (Scotland) Regulations 2021.

There is no change in the size of attendances for covid passports at outdoor events. It is still 4,000 not all seated and 10,000 otherwise. The guidance published yesterday states that it specifically applies to football.

So, unless the JRG know that another Statutory Instrument is on the way that changes this, clubs should be asking for clarification on why they are insisting on Covid passports for crowds of under 4,000 from Monday. There is no requirement in the legislation, augmented by the SG Guidance, that I can see for this. Entirely possible that I’ve missed, or misunderstood, something, though.

Legislation

6 hours ago, Double Jack D said:

Totally agree. 

The 500 spectator rule was based on absolutely nothing in reality. We played 1 game at Starks with 500 folk in one stand whilst the exact same sized stand at the other end of the pitch was empty. At the same time there would've been much smaller and much larger stands across scotland with exactly the same limits. Nonsense.

Meanwhile down south there was no restrictions. 

Looking at the numbers, I'm not convinced it made one iota of difference in the number of infections/ hospitalisations compared to England.

Ok experts - what does work. Not one government has managed to get it under control. Do you just let it run riot ? It’s way too easy to criticise. 

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Bangs head off wall 

Dont even know why I am getting into this again but 379 people did not die from Covid yesterday 

379 deaths were REPORTED yesterday from people who have died within 28 days of a positive Covid test

2 years into this and people cannot make this distinction 

Ok - if you look at the numbers over the 2 years of the pandemic. There are 3 measures. As you say deaths of people who have died within 28 days of a positive test.That figure is 150K. 
Second is where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate - that figure is higher - 175K.

Third is the excess deaths figure which surprise surprise is 150K.

This was at 31st Dec.

Maybe you get it now.

38 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Ok experts - what does work. Not one government has managed to get it under control. Do you just let it run riot ? It’s way too easy to criticise. 

Think you have answered your own question there

People like yourself have grown so arrogant and detached from reality, that they believe government policy could completely stop a highly transmissible, airborne virus in its tracks. How deluded do you have to be? 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

25 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Ok - if you look at the numbers over the 2 years of the pandemic. There are 3 measures. As you say deaths of people who have died within 28 days of a positive test.That figure is 150K. 
Second is where Covid is mentioned on the death certificate - that figure is higher - 175K.

Third is the excess deaths figure which surprise surprise is 150K.

This was at 31st Dec.

Maybe you get it now.

It’s sad but Hospitals are full of sick people that die. This virus is obviously very contagious. They are testing for it all the time too. So there will be people in hospitals for a whole load of reasons dying WITH testing positive for Covid within 28 days no matter what the actual reason was. It’s been like that the whole way through.

The only measure is the overall mortality, and that has been really bad in March / April 2020 and last Christmas was bad too. In comparison to the 5 year average. 

Overall though, death wise, 2020 was only the worst year since 2003. Dating back to 1990 it was only the 13th worst year.

The scary thing in regards to excess deaths is how many people are now dying at home in comparison to previous years, dying of things that aren’t Covid. People have had treatments and operations cancelled, they’ve missed being diagnosed with things like cancer etc. All because of this mad obsession with Covid. A virus that is now 100 percent here to stay for the rest of our lives. 

Edited by 1320Lichtie

1 hour ago, true_rover said:

What is wrong with using South Africa as a comparison? Most demographic differences between here and there would suggest that their outcomes would be worse than ours.

South Africa has a younger population and we know Covid doesn’t affect the young so hard. Also, it was thought that they had a higher ratio that had had Covid and much lower vaccinated. Those were the differences that were communicated at the time. Whether that is still thought, I am not sure.

31 minutes ago, 1320Lichtie said:

Think you have answered your own question there

People like yourself have grown so arrogant and detached from reality, that they believe government policy could completely stop a highly transmissible, airborne virus in its tracks. How deluded do you have to be? 

So it’s a do nothing from you ?

The onus is on the government to explain why their token, nonsense restrictions will a) have a demonstrable impact that is also b) necessary. A task that the SG has spectacularly failed to achieve. 

If you think that the threshold for an airborne virus 'running riot' is crossed by having 1000 at Palmerston once a fortnight then you are deluded. 

9 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

South Africa has a younger population and we know Covid doesn’t affect the young so hard. Also, it was thought that they had a higher ratio that had had Covid and much lower vaccinated. Those were the differences that were communicated at the time. Whether that is still thought, I am not sure.

Younger, yes but as you point much lower vaccinated. Also considerable rates of people with HIV (around 19%) which will likely increase severity.

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

The onus is on the government to explain why their token, nonsense restrictions will a) have a demonstrable impact that is also b) necessary. A task that the SG has spectacularly failed to achieve. 

If you think that the threshold for an airborne virus 'running riot' is crossed by having 1000 at Palmerston once a fortnight then you are deluded. 

Not so much, the onus is to take responsible, prudent actions that will positively impact the country and its population while minimizing harm. Their option is to explain such actions, but regardless, they will be judged on the outcome and suffer if they have not done a job deemed acceptable or better. The SG, like many, simply has abrogated its promise to govern in a transparent manner with these sorts of pseudo-scientific crap decisions and helter-skelter messaging.

I'm criticising the specific policy of limiting football attendances to 500 regardless of capacity, layout of stadium etc. Starks Park has two identical stands at either end of the pitch with separate entrances. If it is safe to have 500 folk in one stand then it is safe to have another 500 in the opposite stand. 

I supposed it freed up coppers to arrest Glaswegian pensioners for trying to enjoy their Hogmanay.

1 hour ago, 1320Lichtie said:

It’s sad but Hospitals are full of sick people that die. This virus is obviously very contagious. They are testing for it all the time too. So there will be people in hospitals for a whole load of reasons dying WITH testing positive for Covid within 28 days no matter what the actual reason was. It’s been like that the whole way through.

The only measure is the overall mortality, and that has been really bad in March / April 2020 and last Christmas was bad too. In comparison to the 5 year average. 

Overall though, death wise, 2020 was only the worst year since 2003. Dating back to 1990 it was only the 13th worst year.

The scary thing in regards to excess deaths is how many people are now dying at home in comparison to previous years, dying of things that aren’t Covid. People have had treatments and operations cancelled, they’ve missed being diagnosed with things like cancer etc. All because of this mad obsession with Covid. A virus that is now 100 percent here to stay for the rest of our lives. 

Are you really saying that the No of people dying within 28 days of a positive test and the No of excess deaths is just a coincidence.