Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

I think you'll find that Partick aren't even impacted by promotion being scrapped across the board any more, as they sit 5th (FIFTH) in their respective seaside league division beneath such big-hitters like Montrose and Cove Rangers.

We'd be as well consulting Berwick Rangers for their impact assessment while we're at it down there.

IMG_1576962560.451370.jpg.10ebb265f92f5a0547901406540577bb.jpg

I see your point

35 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Why would the two well-run and solvent part-time teams be any more likely to vote to stop playing than the full time teams that appear to run at a loss?

Youโ€™re currently bottom; Alloa are ninth... why piss about waiting for L1 & L2 to get stopped if you can guarantee a clean slate from 21/22?

34 minutes ago, virginton said:

Why would a ยฃ500k grant to cover Covid costs need to be 'handed back' if Covid leads to the campaign being binned? Are pubs being forced to hand back government relief now that they're shut again as well?

The Scottish Government is not actually using taxpayer's money to get your team's stream online at 3pm every week. They're doing it to keep the actual businesses in existence. There is absolutely no requirement for clubs to burn that money on testing and continuing a ridiculous 27 game season entirely BCD. That is the definition of the sunk-cost fallacy right there.

ย 

I donโ€™t know the mechanism for the grants, but I wouldnโ€™t be surprised if they go pro rata; if it stops and clubs can cover their most significant cost through the furlough scheme, Iโ€™ll be astonished if we get to keep 500k on top...

The only justification for the money at this point is to offset loss of earnings *to allow clubs to continue*; otherwise, it makes no sense. If theyโ€™d wanted to compensate clubs for *not* playing, that should have been done before the season started.

There is no credible public health rationale for stopping the Championship (itโ€™s only balloons like Robertson or Steve fuckin Bruce whoโ€™re rattling on about some kind of โ€˜moralโ€™ issue). The only possible โ€˜justificationโ€™ for stopping, as has been said, is that the resultant chaos and in-fighting would be absolutely hilarious...

17 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Youโ€™re currently bottom; Alloa are ninth... why piss about waiting for L1 & L2 to get stopped if you can guarantee a clean slate from 21/22?

I donโ€™t know the mechanism for the grants, but I wouldnโ€™t be surprised if they go pro rata; if it stops and clubs can cover their most significant cost through the furlough scheme, Iโ€™ll be astonished if we get to keep 500k on top...

The only justification for the money at this point is to offset loss of earnings *to allow clubs to continue*; otherwise, it makes no sense. If theyโ€™d wanted to compensate clubs for *not* playing, that should have been done before the season started.

There is no credible public health rationale for stopping the Championship (itโ€™s only balloons like Robertson or Steve fuckin Bruce whoโ€™re rattling on about some kind of โ€˜moralโ€™ issue). The only possible โ€˜justificationโ€™ for stopping, as has been said, is that the resultant chaos and in-fighting would be absolutely hilarious...

The clubs have and will continue to lose earnings regardless of whether they play or not. That is what the SG is eventually - but generously - covering. It is not contingent on continuing to trade when there are no commercial grounds to do so. It's not as if the government are trying to open up the economy either, so this is a nonsense claim. The ยฃ500k is staying put.

It's a choice of either playing out a tinpot 27 game season BCD or punting the staff on furlough and going again next season in a more secure financial position. The only relevant question is this: would your football club have signed up for 27/27 games behind closed doors last summer? If not, then the argument for chucking this campaign is straightforward. Forget about games played and other costs sunk - if a full season streamed virtually is unsustainable then it should be wrapped now and clubs make use of the furlough scheme instead.

It's also remarkable to see the no health grounds to cancel argument circulating, given that all of Scottish football was indefinitely suspended after the Arsenal manager got the virus last March. There have been two confirmed outbreaks at Championship clubs in recent weeks, which in Morton's case involved backroom staff as well. I obviously don't wish this to happen, but all it would take is *one* fatality of a club employee or similar to render these arguments utterly ludicrous in retrospect.

Edited by vikingTON

11 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Call me naive, but I would prefer to think that both Alloa and ourselves would prefer toย try to play ourselves out of trouble rather than rely on theย season being called null and void.

However, the argument you now appear to be advancing appears to be based upon currentย league position, rather than part-time status. That effectively negates your original point.

I really want the football to continue as its been a real boost having something vaguely normal. I was fucking raging after our defeat to Queens, which finally felt like the Rovers were back.ย 

That said, it would be absolutely fucking hilarious to null and void.ย 

1 minute ago, virginton said:

The clubs have and will continue to lose earnings regardless of whether they play or not. That is what the SG is eventually - but generously - covering. It is not contingent on continuing to trade when there is no commercial grounds to do so. It's not as if the government are trying to open up the economy either, so this is a nonsense claim. The ยฃ500k is staying put.

It's a choice of either playing out a tinpot 27 game season BCD or punting the staff on furlough and going again next season in a more secure financial position. The only relevant question is this: would your football club have signed up for 27/27 games behind closed doors last summer? If not, then the argument for chucking this campaign is straightforward. Forget about games played and other costs sunk - if a full season streamed virtually is unsustainable then it should be wrapped and clubs make use of the furlough scheme instead.

It's also remarkable to see the no health grounds to cancel argument circulating, given that all of Scottish football was indefinitely suspended after the Arsenal manager got the virus last March. There have been two confirmed outbreaks at Championship clubs in recent weeks, which in Morton's case involved backroom staff as well. I obviously don't wish this to happen, but all it would take is *one* fatality of a club employee or similar to render these arguments utterly ludicrous in retrospect.

You lost me at โ€˜wouldโ€™... retrospective magical thinking is not the point: itโ€™s about what makes most sense from where we are. Furlough money changes the equation, whether you like it or not; the grants will almost certainly not have been paid in a single installment and must be up for reconsideration if the league stops.

On the public health issue, I should have been clearer: the Championship happening without fans in attendance is having close to zero impact on transmission. There is no causal link between people dying and losing their jobs and Morton playing Arbroath.ย If people really cared about the moral issues, theyโ€™d have overthrown the government.

24 minutes ago, Flash said:

If they play on, they get the ยฃ500k anyway. All costs to date are also the same. So, ignoring the relegation point, which I appreciate is significant,ย provided the prize money (plus remaining streaming income) is higher than 3.5 months wages plus testing and other costs, clubs would be better to carry on?ย 

Yes, that's true. I wasn't trying to suggest there was no "cost" to null and voiding it, just that they already got more money than they would have made from those things in a normal season anyway. But yes you're right, there's no financial argument to shut it down.

7 minutes ago, lichtgilphead said:

Call me naive, but I would prefer to think that both Alloa and ourselves would prefer toย try to play ourselves out of trouble rather than rely on theย season being called null and void.

However, the argument you now appear to be advancing appears to be based upon currentย league position, rather than part-time status. That effectively negates your original point.

โ€˜Part-time clubsโ€™ was merely a collective description. I should have just said โ€˜Alloa and Arbroathโ€™; or โ€˜the clubs at the bottomโ€™.

The point remains.

Genuinely glad to hear youโ€™d rather continue; hope the Arbroath chairman, for example, shares your view.

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

You lost me at โ€˜wouldโ€™... retrospective magical thinking is not the point: itโ€™s about what makes most sense from where we are. Furlough money changes the equation, whether you like it or not; the grants will almost certainly not have been paid in a single installment and must be up for reconsideration if the league stops.

On the public health issue, I should have been clearer: the Championship happening without fans in attendance is having close to zero impact on transmission. There is no causal link between people dying and losing their jobs and Morton playing Arbroath.ย If people really cared about the moral issues, theyโ€™d have overthrown the government.

No it mustn't be 'up for reconsideration': there is no evidence to support that claim. The SG is not losing sleep at night over Championship football fans not getting a stream next weekend: so long as the institutions survive the pandemic, that's their job done when it comes to government intervention before May's election. Nobody at government level is forcing the SPFL to continue playing.ย 

Once you remove this claim that money would be recouped/withheld from the grant then the equation is the same as last summer, only with near 100% certainty that there'll be no fans inside the ground. Furlough support is another key argument in favour of binning the campaign. It makes no sense for GMFC or any similar club to take grant money that is needed to keep the lights on and spend it on testing and player wages, in exchange for what? The ยฃ14 a pop streams aren't delivering break-even now per match and certainly won't do so when it gets to dead rubber time in April.ย 

Edited by vikingTON

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Going for a chippie has ย limited impact on transmission but we cant do that now