Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

7 minutes ago, weirdcal said:

I'd say it's just to the other leagues can play. Why not have a break where players are locked down and clear the number cases going on at the moment.
Hopefully after three weeks cases first and generally come down so games can get played safely

This is mostly about perception, that's the thing. There's little evidence that playing football is actively increasing spread of covid. For all the ranting some people do about "travelling across the country" it's not like players are rampaging from pub to pub to hotel on the way. By and large they leave their home, travel directly to training or matches where there are pretty tight protocols, much tighter than in general life, and then go straight home after. In reality locking down football will make very little difference to the spread of Covid, one way or the other but it may be the politically correct thing to do. Clearly however they've no intention of shutting down the Premiership and that being the case, personally I think the Championship should continue too.

But I recognise there is an opposite point of view.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

3 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

What pish is this?

I don't know what angle you are coming from so I will try and cover both

You think Dundee's form is pish and they wont challenge Hearts- I don't care, f**k it, give it to Hearts

You agree that Dundee are the form side in the championship currently - you would be right to feel aggrieved if they gave the league to Hearts next week after a vote

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This is mostly about perception, that's the thing. There's no evidence at all that playing football is actively increasing spread of covid. For all the ranting some people do about "travelling across the country" it's not like players are rampaging from pub to pub to hotel on the way. By and large they leave their home, travel directly to training or matches where there are pretty tight protocols, much tighter than in general life, and then go straight home after. In reality locking down football will make not one bit of difference to the spread of Covid, one way or the other but it may be the politically correct thing to do. Clearly however they've no intention of shutting down the Premiership and that being the case, personally I think the Championship should continue too.

But I recognise there is an opposite point of view.

I'm of a similar view. 

The only opposite point I can say is I know of a guy (who's older to be fair) who's suffering from long covid. Being together as a team is an increased risk albeit a small one. It'll be really awful, for instance, if any of the Raith boys suffer from COVID complications and don't recover to being the players that they were before.

Edited by LeodhasXD

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I don't know what angle you are coming from so I will try and cover both

You think Dundee's form is pish and they wont challenge Hearts- I don't care, f**k it, give it to Hearts

You agree that Dundee are the form side in the championship currently - you would be right to feel aggrieved if they gave the league to Hearts next week after a vote

I'd personally feel aggrieved either way, but unless I'm missing something, you wrote that we'd be the only team not aggrieved if Hearts were handed the league. I would think my club would feel very aggrieved.

Could the issue be, they want to null and void competitions beneath the Championship ? meaning no promotion or relegation. I don't know if it needs to be a unanimous vote that obviously Hearts wouldn't vote for. 

They have to set out a plan for the way forward, anything under all 10 teams playing 18 rounds of games is null and void, over 18 games and final league placings count. Giving clubs a fighting chance to stay up and telling them with 8 games left what the situation is.   

1. No danger is a McPake managed side with Flapjack in goal getting up via the play offs anyway
  2. The anger from Hearts fans could power the national grid for months
  3. The resultant trolling by the rest of P&B but particularly the St Mirren lads would be sensational
  4. Falkirk fans seem quite an angry wee bunch as well
  5. There will probably be some sort of loonball statement from Partick

I believe these are all sound, and mostly very funny reasons for voiding the season. 

1 minute ago, LeodhasXD said:

I'm of a similar view. 

The only opposite point I can say is I know of a guy (who's older to be fair) who's suffering from long covid. Being together as a team is an increased risk albeit a small one. It'll be really awful, for instance, if any of the Raith boys suffer from COVID complications and don't recover to being the players that they were before.

Potentially. I'm not sure it actually SHOULD be an increased risk though, especially now they are testing. Positives should be caught fairly early and asymptomatics won't go unnoticed. If players don't travel together (sometimes unavoidable to an extent), maintain distancing and don't get involved in mass pile ons following goals then they are playing an outdoor sport with limited contact. To quote a far more obvious issue building sites, would be a far more likely threat to spread. Some of it indoor, tradesmen working in close proximity (and in many cases going from house to house), not testing, no temperature checking. There's no great campaign to cease building work though and it sure can't be "done from home".

I do accept the outlier teams geographically have a bigger issue with it and Robertson's concerns reflect that. Inverness have to travel a long way by bus every second week and haven't been allowed showers (ironically they may now be now that players are testing. Premiership are allowed showers at home club's discretion). As much as it's a pain for other clubs to go there, it's once or twice a season.

BBC story has been updated with a quote from Maxwell's e-mail -

Maxwell wrote: "One SPFL championship club has publicly taken the position that all football should be suspended.

"The Scottish FA would like to understand the position of your club... please confirm if you are content to continue under the current exemption or whether your club considers that the Championship should be suspended."

20 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

At this point in time, I would be happy if they awarded Hearts the league and promotion and pooled the remaining prize money and split it between all 9 teams. Been a shitshow for Ayr this year and I think every club bar Dundee (on current form) would feel aggrieved if it happened just now.

2 minutes ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

I'd personally feel aggrieved either way, but unless I'm missing something, you wrote that we'd be the only team not aggrieved if Hearts were handed the league. I would think my club would feel very aggrieved.

If the league was called just now, Dundee would feel aggrieved. 

1 minute ago, diegomarahenry said:

That's not what you said. You said every club bar Dundee would feel aggrieved.

1. No danger is a McPake managed side with Flapjack in goal getting up via the play offs anyway
  2. The anger from Hearts fans could power the national grid for months
  3. The resultant trolling by the rest of P&B but particularly the St Mirren lads would be sensational
  4. Falkirk fans seem quite an angry wee bunch as well
  5. There will probably be some sort of loonball statement from Partick
I believe these are all sound, and mostly very funny reasons for voiding the season. 
Plus the inevitable return of SeventeenGamesToGo

7 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Could the issue be, they want to null and void competitions beneath the Championship ? 

If they did then I might rupture my spleen with laughter tbh. Falkirk, Queens' Park, Kelty, Brora all kept in their stupid, wee boxes for yet another year. What's not to like?

IMG_1576962560.451370.jpg.10ebb265f92f5a0547901406540577bb.jpg

25 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

I think every club bar Dundee (on current form) would feel aggrieved if it happened just now.

4 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

If you could make your mind up that would be stellar.

38 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

The £0.5m Arbroath, Alloa, ourselves just got will be more than we'd ever get from those other sources, probably Morton, Ayr and Raith too. They could furlough staff with no payroll costs for the rest of the season, or at least to April, and if it's truly null and void then no relegation either which will be attractive to sides at the bottom end of the table.

I agree that the League would likely resist null and void but the tv deal depends only on the Premiership (other than the small contribution the BBC one makes) so as long as the top league finishes commercial impact would likely be manageable. There's no League sponsor currently.

If they play on, they get the £500k anyway. All costs to date are also the same. So, ignoring the relegation point, which I appreciate is significant, provided the prize money (plus remaining streaming income) is higher than 3.5 months wages plus testing and other costs, clubs would be better to carry on? 

Edited by Flash

12 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Partick, don't forget Partick. 

I think you'll find that Partick aren't even impacted by promotion being scrapped across the board any more, as they sit 5th (FIFTH) in their respective seaside league division beneath such big-hitters like Montrose and Cove Rangers.

We'd be as well consulting Berwick Rangers for their impact assessment while we're at it down there.

IMG_1576962560.451370.jpg.10ebb265f92f5a0547901406540577bb.jpg

Edited by vikingTON