Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

"Maxwell did not name the club in question and there is confusion over who he is referring to."  Top work again from the overpaid tea boy.  This is beyond satire.  Presumably the SFA were inspired to come up with this suggestion based on the detailed discussions at the SPFL meeting earlier this week........

2 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, right... let’s stop playing because ICT (or one of the the two part-time teams) don’t fancy it, hand back the 500k, and furlough the players...

Comfortable 7-3 (at least) to keep going.

7-3 to stop IMO

Morton are skint and Raith and Ayr will think it's a 1000/1 shot they go up.

Take the 500k and bin it 

2 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

"Maxwell did not name the club in question and there is confusion over who he is referring to."  Top work again from the overpaid tea boy.  This is beyond satire.  Presumably the SFA were inspired to come up with this suggestion based on the detailed discussions at the SPFL meeting earlier this week........

It is odd that he's supposedly said that "One SPFL championship club has publicly taken the position that all football should be suspended." As far as I can see no Championship has made any "public" comment on it at all. The only thing I can see is John Robertson's quotes earlier today: “There is a line in the statement saying it was to protect the commercial and media contracts. We’ve had more deaths than ever, yet football has been asked to carry on. That was a strange thing to put out there. It made me think that the Championship and Premiership were only playing on because of the TV deals, which is wrong. I’m sorry, but if they’re putting TV deals before players’ welfare and lives, as well as the huge support staff behind clubs and everyone’s families, that can’t be right.”

As much as Robertson is the manager and close to Scot Gardner, he's not an official spokesperson and those quotes are a good way off "publicly taking the position football should be suspended". He's questioning the reason behind the decision and whether player welfare should be taken more seriously but he's not said it SHOULD stop.

I wonder how clubs will vote? Presumably Hearts, Dundee and Dunfermline are given votes to carry on. Others may depend on how they view it. It won't benefit the part time sides to pause briefly and then have to fit a lot of games in later in the season. They'd be better playing once a week but if they think it's a step towards null and void then their attitude may be different.

Not sure why anyone wants null and void.

Clubs would surely be liable for season ticket refunds and no prize or TV money would be due. With the huge losses every club is facing, might it be enough to finish some off?

Why would anyone push for that?

Edited by DA Baracus

10 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Aye, right... let’s stop playing because ICT (or one of the the two part-time teams) don’t fancy it, hand back the 500k, and furlough the players...

Why would the two well-run and solvent part-time teams be any more likely to vote to stop playing than the full time teams that appear to run at a loss?

3 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

It is odd that he's supposedly said that "One SPFL championship club has publicly taken the position that all football should be suspended." As far as I can see no Championship has made any "public" comment on it at all. The only thing I can see is John Robertson's quotes earlier today: “There is a line in the statement saying it was to protect the commercial and media contracts. We’ve had more deaths than ever, yet football has been asked to carry on. That was a strange thing to put out there. It made me think that the Championship and Premiership were only playing on because of the TV deals, which is wrong. I’m sorry, but if they’re putting TV deals before players’ welfare and lives, as well as the huge support staff behind clubs and everyone’s families, that can’t be right.”

As much as Robertson is the manager and close to Scot Gardner, he's not an official spokesperson and those quotes are a good way off "publicly taking the position football should be suspended". He's questioning the reason behind the decision and whether player welfare should be taken more seriously but he's not said it SHOULD stop.

I wonder how clubs will vote? Presumably Hearts, Dundee and Dunfermline are given votes to carry on. Others may depend on how they view it. It won't benefit the part time sides to pause briefly and then have to fit a lot of games in later in the season. They'd be better playing once a week but if they think it's a step towards null and void then their attitude may be different.

Any indication on how your club will vote?

I posted this on the Ayr thread. Had Ayr been in a play-off place and flying, maybe I'd think differently but there is a lot of apathy just now and maybe a halt now will make folk desperate for a return in July.  

SPFL have written to all championship clubs to see if they want to continue or suspend the league. 

At this point in time, I would be happy if they awarded Hearts the league and promotion and pooled the remaining prize money and split it between all 9 teams. Been a shitshow for Ayr this year and I think every club bar Dundee (on current form) would feel aggrieved if it happened just now. None have been contenders and playing to a finish will only see a heavily weighted play-off structure meaning a team probably wont go up through the play-offs. 

Plus points of continuing, clubs can continue to make money from streaming etc

Minus points, more fans might be lost to football with streaming not being the same and habits being broken. 

Personally I hope it continues, if it is suspended it has the potential to be a complete farce. if it is suspended part of the consultation should be a reduced18 game season. currently Arbroath are 5 points from 8th, That would send a message this week that they have 8 games and 24 points available to secure safety. they could rearrange the fixtures to meet the BBC contract also and provide opposition for the play-offs. 

16 minutes ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Why would a £500k grant to cover Covid costs need to be 'handed back' if Covid leads to the campaign being binned? Are pubs being forced to hand back government relief now that they're shut again as well?

The Scottish Government is not actually using taxpayer's money to get your team's stream online at 3pm every week. They're doing it to keep the actual businesses in existence. There is absolutely no requirement for clubs to burn that money on testing and continuing a ridiculous 27 game season entirely BCD. That is the definition of the sunk-cost fallacy right there.

Edited by vikingTON

Just now, DA Baracus said:

Not sure why anyone wants null and void.

Clubs would surely be liable for season ticket refunds and no prize or TV money would be due.

Why would anyone push for that?

The £0.5m Arbroath, Alloa, ourselves just got will be more than we'd ever get from those other sources, probably Morton, Ayr and Raith too. They could furlough staff with no payroll costs for the rest of the season, or at least to April, and if it's truly null and void then no relegation either which will be attractive to sides at the bottom end of the table.

I agree that the League would likely resist null and void but the tv deal depends only on the Premiership (other than the small contribution the BBC one makes) so as long as the top league finishes commercial impact would likely be manageable. There's no League sponsor currently.

I'd say it's just to the other leagues can play. Why not have a break where players are locked down and clear the number cases going on at the moment.
Hopefully after three weeks cases first and generally come down so games can get played safely

I don't see the Championship being suspended. I imagine the majority will be fine with continuing. I think the only reason this is being put to the clubs is due to fuss about the teams in Leagues 1 and 2 not being consulted.