Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

26 minutes ago, ayrunitedfw said:

This is pretty much my thoughts. As long as all championship clubs agree to regular testing I see no reason why this season can’t be played to a conclusion and promotion/relegation from the premiership done.

The main issue is obviously how promotion/relegation will work from the lower leagues if their season(s) are unable to be completed. Null and Void from league 1 down or league reconstruction being the main two soloutions. 

Testing doesn't address the issue of why the Scottish Championship should be continuing when you can't even leave the house and meet with two other people outdoors. It's the opposite of essential, there is no safe bubble from infection and the idea that clubs should waste money on constant rounds of testing just to complete a full season BCD is pure folly.

The season should be suspended for the time being and staff furloughed instead. 

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

This is technically not Championship but Celtic going on a jolly to Dubai has undoubtedly contributed to the government pressure. When folk are being told to stay at home unless it's essential they think they can import COVID to get a relaxing holiday. 

There's no mention in the statement but I'd imagine that's this years Scottish Cup suspended. Surprised they've not cancelled the competition.

Unless there's significantly controlled transmission in three weeks time I don't see the suspension being lifted and I can't see how you can promote or relegate from the lower divisions. Don't want to assume this year is a free hit at the Championship but I think that's the likeliest outcome.

If we test once a week from now to the end of the season that's going to be about £50,000. 

I also can't see league reconstruction not happening.

I'm with you on reconstruction with a proviso that teams in the 'Elite Leagues' are required to be full time.

'The powers-that-be' can't make those do decisions.

Eh?

The point was that everybody knew there was a good chance this season wouldn’t be completed before it even started.

It would have been sensible for the SPFL to have contingency plans that said, for example, if X games have been completed when we end the season then we null and void, if Y games have been competed we can give out prize money based on positions but no promotion/ relegation, if Z games have been played we have promotion and relegation.

I think we can assume that this did not happen since we’ve not heard a whisper about it.

This is/was monumentally stupid.

There's surely an obvious solution for Leagues One & Two, which could be extended to the Championship as well - cut the season to 18 games. Removes the need to cram games in whenever they restart, particularly considering the distinct possibility that the suspension is going to last longer than the initial three weeks and that there's going to be Scottish Cup games to fit in as well around the Premiership calendar, and removes the fixture imbalance as well.

Obviously that's all based on cases falling far enough to make resuming at all sensible. If there's no restart then the season has to be null and void, you can't promote and relegate based on 9 games.

15 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Eh?

The point was that everybody knew there was a good chance this season wouldn’t be completed before it even started.

It would have been sensible for the SPFL to have contingency plans that said, for example, if X games have been completed when we end the season then we null and void, if Y games have been competed we can give out prize money based on positions but no promotion/ relegation, if Z games have been played we have promotion and relegation.

I think we can assume that this did not happen since we’ve not heard a whisper about it.

Did the SPFL not consult the clubs and they couldn’t agree on a specific plan so it was kicked down the road?

https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-latest-club-consultation-response

31 minutes ago, AlbionMan said:

I'm with you on reconstruction with a proviso that teams in the 'Elite Leagues' are required to be full time.

I don't want it to happen. But noone wants us and Arbroath in the Championship when you could have Falkirk and Partick Thistle, who are 'too big for League 1.'

Edited by LeodhasXD

13 minutes ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's surely an obvious solution for Leagues One & Two, which could be extended to the Championship as well - cut the season to 18 games. Removes the need to cram games in whenever they restart, particularly considering the distinct possibility that the suspension is going to last longer than the initial three weeks and that there's going to be Scottish Cup games to fit in as well around the Premiership calendar, and removes the fixture imbalance as well.

Obviously that's all based on cases falling far enough to make resuming at all sensible. If there's no restart then the season has to be null and void, you can't promote and relegate based on 9 games.

The season is due to finish 30th April, is there a reason we can't push it out a month or so if required. 

Did the SPFL not consult the clubs and they couldn’t agree on a specific plan so it was kicked down the road?
https://spfl.co.uk/news/spfl-announces-latest-club-consultation-response

Ah, I hadn’t seen that update, thanks.

Disappointing but not surprising that clubs could not agree on a plan for something which seemed so inevitable.

2 hours ago, stevoraith said:

Eh?

Covered above but the powers-that-be asked to be given the authority to make the decisions but that was refused.

The powers-that-be can't make the decisions, the clubs vote on it. No further votes have taken place.

1 hour ago, DiegoDiego said:

The way things are going we're not even looking too big for League 2.

I was meaning in terms of fanbase, no matter how bad you are on the park, you'll be considerably bigger than us.

Look at the Champions League floating the idea of a closed league or England trying to put even more power into the hands of the big teams. Closed shops are good for business.

Seems very harsh on partick and falkirk. Would have made more sense for the wee clubs like alloa and morton mothballing until fans are allowed back and well run, full time clubs promoted to take their place.

surprised so many clubs thought fans would be back this season. Madness!!

1 minute ago, grumswall said:
7 minutes ago, LeodhasXD said:
We've already booked tests so as long as you guys can get tested it should be.

Do players etc still use the NHS testing centres?

It's a private company. Skyline drifter floated a name earlier in the thread but no idea if it's the same people.

2 hours ago, LeodhasXD said:

I don't want it to happen. But noone wants us and Arbroath in the Championship when you could have Falkirk and Partick Thistle, who are 'too big for League 1.'

Not True, I for one like you both. Good days out and you both try and play good football and as for being "part time", that's just a snobbery thing as quite often it gives you access to a better quality of player (that wishes to remain in their employment) that the full time teams are unable to recruit. 

I get what you're saying though as the CHAIRMEN probably wish it was Thistle & Falkirk in your place !!