Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Our game against Brora was on a Tuesday night in December yet Ludo tries to use it as a valid comparison to a Saturday game had there been fans. There'd have been about ten times the Morton support there had it just been three days earlier instead: I'd expect Dundee to have taken a decent crowd to an off the beaten track season opener as well. Plus there's a large bar space at Brora that may well take revenue for the club as well.

The idea that they've done much better from having 700 folk paying for a tenner  stream and getting to keep half of it is ludicrous.

12 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Bizarre, but in that case their early take was only £6.67 per person. And an away buying support from Dundee wont be typical either obviously. In 99% of cases streaming income will be below actual gate receipts, well below it in most cases. We probably took about 50-60% of what a home game v St Mirren would normally bring yesterday and thats more than I expected to be fair.

That fact you are even getting within spitting distance of 50% of the “normal” gate total is actually both surprising and heartening. Granted, that’s skewed by the ST holders not getting the stream for free, and the novelty of the situation. It does suggest that for league games there should be a chance of seeing a tidy little sum, even if it’s nothing like gate revenues, especially for teams with a big following...and every penny will count!

Edited by TxRover

On 27/07/2020 at 17:47, virginton said:

The statement to 'the Partick family' more than makes up for it: it's the final, delicious course in their season of humiliation.

ainsley-harriott-birthday-lorraine-a.jpg.c764bbf957abb54428cdf8b5f8f41081.jpg

Bump.

'Partick Thistle Family Club' follow up last season's truly show-stopping banquet of fail by losing their big derby match to fellow seaside league no-hopers 'Clyde' on the opening day. 

c57e3948-9f2f-4d4a-ba19-eacc096bdc44.jpg.808069f67eb1192ee8102bc4420c30cf.jpg

18 hours ago, virginton said:

Bump.

'Partick Thistle Family Club' follow up last season's truly show-stopping banquet of fail by losing their big derby match to fellow seaside league no-hopers 'Clyde' on the opening day. 

c57e3948-9f2f-4d4a-ba19-eacc096bdc44.jpg.808069f67eb1192ee8102bc4420c30cf.jpg

League 1 forum for that pish!

A random thought that popped into my head...

With the clocks going back tonight, we’re getting ever closer to the time of year where floodlights are needed for at least part of the second half  

Do you think we’ll see a few clubs opting for 2pm kick-offs to try and minimise the chance of needing the floodlights on, or at least reduce the amount of time they’re on for?

Anything to minimise costs. 

21 hours ago, The Master said:

With the clocks going back tonight, we’re getting ever closer to the time of year where floodlights are needed for at least part of the second half  

Do you think we’ll see a few clubs opting for 2pm kick-offs to try and minimise the chance of needing the floodlights on, or at least reduce the amount of time they’re on for?

It'd be silly if they didn't. Absolutely no reason to stick to the traditional 3pm kick off.

Apparently from Monday any club based in a "Tier 1" area (expected, at best, to be just County/ICT/Elgin to start with) will be allowed crowds in.

34 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Apparently from Monday any club based in a "Tier 1" area (expected, at best, to be just County/ICT/Elgin to start with) will be allowed crowds in.

Good news although for fans like me who no longer live there we'll be stuck watching bald linesmen for a while yet.

Edited by RiG

On 24/10/2020 at 14:02, The Master said:

It would make perfect sense, it's an open goal for cost cutting.

Carlisle hosted Southend at 1pm recently and are playing Exeter away at 1 on Saturday. This is because it's better for the players in terms of travelling back after the game but the added benefit of not needing to use the floodlights is obvious.

I'm all for 3pm kick-offs as usual but just not turning the floodlights on. We'll be as effective at defending set-pieces in darkness as we are in daylight and we might be able to sneak past the opposition at the other end.

On 28/10/2020 at 08:21, RandomGuy. said:

I think this is correct.  The table in Annex 1 of the SG document says "Stadia – open with restricted numbers" for level 1. 

Worryingly (but maybe not surprisingly) it says the same thing for level 0.  I hope I'm wrong, but my understanding is that level 0 is the best we can expect without widespread vaccination.  That may explain the steps Dundee United and Peterhead are taking.  

https://www.gov.scot/publications/covid-19-scotlands-strategic-framework/

22 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:

I'm all for 3pm kick-offs as usual but just not turning the floodlights on. We'll be as effective at defending set-pieces in darkness as we are in daylight and we might be able to sneak past the opposition at the other end.

On 28/10/2020 at 08:21, RandomGuy. said:

Just because that is listed under tier 1, doesn't mean it is automatically allowed straight away. For example, households meeting indoors is allowed in tier 1, but that's not happening for them yet.

15 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Just because that is listed under tier 1, doesn't mean it is automatically allowed straight away. For example, households meeting indoors is allowed in tier 1, but that's not happening for them yet.

I think each club has to produce its own plan demonstrating how it can comply with protocols once limited crowds are allowed, covering stuff such as changing rooms, how fans enter and leave the ground, how social distancing will be enforced and so on.  I'm fairly sure it was confirmed that the SPFL have to sign off that a club's plan complies with the guidelines.  However, there are posters on here who are closer to operations at their club who can hopefully confirm the position.

As it happens Elgin is the only senior ground I haven't been to so away v Elgin would do very nicely in the Scottish Cup this year!

Pretty sure almost all, if not all, clubs will have the sufficient measures in place.

However it seems incredibly unlikely that we'll be seeing anything more than some home season ticker holders who live within a certain radius inside grounds this season. There almost certainly won't be any away fans in grounds this season.

• 1 month later...

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/scottish-government-warned-critical-championship-23178871

I have absolutely zero sympathy for club executives - and above all those at GMFC - who are getting the begging bowl out for public money. The idea of starting a season BCD was complete and utter lunacy from the beginning -  yet they lolloped along anyway, blithely assuming that they could get fans back in by winter (for a respiratory virus that, erm, spreads more effectively from people being indoors all the time), fob off their customers with tinpot streams and try to guilt-trip everyone into paying up anyway. The business model has been a disaster waiting to happen from the start and it is no surprise to see where we are right now.