Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

49 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Short term vs long term here?   Short term opening stadiums to season ticket holders creates costs without providing revenue,  however long term if clubs can legally provide access to season ticket holders but don’t do so, or season ticket holders get very little value by not being able to get into games this season then sales next summer are going to completely collapse.    Season ticket holders are a massive revenue stream,  and any club thinking long term is surely going to be desperate to keep them happy?  Sure it might cost a bit this year but the risk of losing future revenue is incredible.

Many clubs don't have the ability to think long term due to current pressures.

Anyway, I am not advocating them pissing season ticket holders off by locking them out when the green light comes, just saying clubs will not welcome opening to them only due to current cashflow.

Season ticket holders WILL get very little value this year. If value was a consideration, a season ticket was a preposterous purchase.

3 hours ago, BigFatTabbyDave said:

That's absolutely mental, considering that there's been stark warnings about an inevitable second wave since...well, the virus was at its peak, if memory serves.

I can only assume that some folk figured we'd all just be putting up with it by now. Which, I suppose, may still end up happening if enough people do as they please.

The one constant since March has been widely differing predictions about what is likely to happen in the future.  Jason Leitch has been a fixture on Off the Ball for months.  No-one (including him) would suggest that anyone could plan with certainty.  However, on the days when I was able to listen in I got the firm impression that he was optimistic that we could get some kind of crowds in the last quarter of the year, and I don't recall any suggestion from him that 'an inevitable second wave' would lead to us going backwards.

1 minute ago, Jamie_M said:

Anyway, I am not advocating them pissing season ticket holders off by locking them out when the green light comes, just saying clubs will not welcome opening to them only due to current cashflow.

Season ticket holders WILL get very little value this year. If value was a consideration, a season ticket was a preposterous purchase.

I agree some clubs might not be able to think long term.   The ability to absorb losses will be different throughout the league.   Hearts, Dundee and it now seems us have significant outside ‘investment’, you can maybe add alloa into that given how mulraney has been acting(I don’t know much details there tbh) .   The costs of letting season ticket holders in should be absorbable for them,   But if your in a worse position then you will be a lot more resistant to take on those costs.

You also right to say season tickets won’t offer much value,  however there has been a strong element of purchasing that were driven by blind loyalty and a hope they might get *something* out of it,  if you take that away then that loyalty will be questioned and trying to sell season tickets will become a lot harder.

39 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Oh Christ, don't pick at that particular scab.

29 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

The one constant since March has been widely differing predictions about what is likely to happen in the future.  Jason Leitch has been a fixture on Off the Ball for months.  No-one (including him) would suggest that anyone could plan with certainty.  However, on the days when I was able to listen in I got the firm impression that he was optimistic that we could get some kind of crowds in the last quarter of the year, and I don't recall any suggestion from him that 'an inevitable second wave' would lead to us going backwards.

It seems like perhaps I'm more of a pessimist than most, then.

Not something I'm particularly pleased about being right about, mind you.

4 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Totally wrong.

The season should and will go ahead and there will be limited crowds at some point (above season-ticket levels). If there aren’t, or it takes too long to happen, there will be a financial support package.

It isn’t difficult.

The Scottish government have pretty much said they want to provide financial support to various industries, but for obvious reasons can't.

4 hours ago, Thereisalight.. said:

11500 at the Dortmund game today. Yet we’re looking at a full season in the lower leagues without fans. Madness

It's almost as if infection rates differ between geographical areas!

18 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

The Scottish government have pretty much said they want to provide financial support to various industries, but for obvious reasons can't.

They could have sponsored the leagues like they did with a cup a few years ago and helped Doncaster out a hole. Although he and his pal may have fucked that idea up today. 

2 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They could have sponsored the leagues like they did with a cup a few years ago and helped Doncaster out a hole. Although he and his pal may have fucked that idea up today. 

Surprised Mike hasn't managed to persuade his mates in the Tory party to pony up for the Scottish Westminster Football League.

(not really)

5 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Could they? I imagine league sponsorship is far more costly than their one off deal for the cup (which I imagine was much reduced from the usual sums the SFA received, although I have zero sources for that).

2 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Could they? I imagine league sponsorship is far more costly than their one off deal for the cup (which I imagine was much reduced from the usual sums the SFA received, although I have zero sources for that).

Ladbrokes announced in August 2019 that they wouldn't renew, it is now October 2020. When asked about it today, Doncaster seemed a bit taken aback by the audacity of the question and highlighted the fact we were in a pandemic and no one was willing to pay the money. 

Beggars (or incompetent b*****ds)  cant be choosers 

17 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

They could have sponsored the leagues like they did with a cup a few years ago and helped Doncaster out a hole. 

‘Homecoming Scottish Cup’ followed up by the ‘Stay-at-Home Scottish league’?

Edited by Hedgecutter

7 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

The clubs are likely to have absolutely NO desire to let season ticket holders only in. They would lose money. .

This

Our Chairman has already muted this in a recent interview

With season ticket holders getting first dibs limited/reduced attendance would cost most clubs money 

Whether you agree with what he’s said or not it’s Doncaster’s job to stand up for the clubs and ensure they have the best possible chance of survival. It’s no different to every other other industry that‘s questioned rules and inconsistencies that they feel could see their businesses go bust, and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t the same level of faux outrage in response to them.

People just love to hold football to a much higher moral standard than everything else. That much was evidenced by the ridiculous “yellow card” nonsense the entire football sector got because of a few Aberdeen players, while countless other sectors - including rugby - barely got a mention for their breaches.

6 hours ago, Rovers_Lad said:

This

Our Chairman has already muted this in a recent interview

With season ticket holders getting first dibs limited/reduced attendance would cost most clubs money 

Would still be wrong in my opinion. If fans are allowed into games, the people who have already stumped up hundreds of pounds to attend matches for this season should be able to. 

10 hours ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Totally wrong.

The season should and will go ahead and there will be limited crowds at some point (above season-ticket levels). If there aren’t, or it takes too long to happen, there will be a financial support package.

It isn’t difficult.

You keep saying this as a certainty, as if a financial support package from government is definitely coming if we remain without crowds. This is not guaranteed and no one in a position to make such a guarantee has said so.

9 hours ago, eez-eh said:

Whether you agree with what he’s said or not it’s Doncaster’s job to stand up for the clubs and ensure they have the best possible chance of survival. It’s no different to every other other industry that‘s questioned rules and inconsistencies that they feel could see their businesses go bust, and I’m pretty sure there wasn’t the same level of faux outrage in response to them.

People just love to hold football to a much higher moral standard than everything else. That much was evidenced by the ridiculous “yellow card” nonsense the entire football sector got because of a few Aberdeen players, while countless other sectors - including rugby - barely got a mention for their breaches.

I am certainly not saying he shouldn't be fighting the fight to stand up for clubs and the game. He should. But timing is everything, and to pipe up in the week with possibly the biggest outbreak and disruption to the game from an individual outbreak so far, weakens the argument significantly.

4 hours ago, CALDERON said:

Would still be wrong in my opinion. If fans are allowed into games, the people who have already stumped up hundreds of pounds to attend matches for this season should be able to. 

And of course they will be first and clubs won't opt not to open the gates if the green light comes and it's just season ticket holders.

The clubs will just have no desire for it to just be them though, they won't campaign under a 'season ticket holders only' proposal and they will push for a larger percentage straight away to make it more viable.

Take Cineworld's announcement today. Allowed to open, limited numbers and restrictions, but not viable with what they are getting in so shutting it down.

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

You keep saying this as a certainty, as if a financial support package from government is definitely coming if we remain without crowds. This is not guaranteed and no one in a position to make such a guarantee has said so.

Every industry is going to want some support, in the next few months and beyond. The worrying thing is that club's seem to have thrown all eggs in to the basket of crowds being allowed back in time to save those that haven't gotten by on large donations.

I wonder how the players really feel about playing in front of no fans? I’ve already read quotes from players in higher leagues saying they find it “boring” or hard to motivate themselves for games. Can’t imagine the prospect of a trip up to Inverness in the dead of winter with no fans appeals to most players, but they’re professionals and they’ll get on with it. 

And of course they will be first and clubs won't opt not to open the gates if the green light comes and it's just season ticket holders.
The clubs will just have no desire for it to just be them though, they won't campaign under a 'season ticket holders only' proposal and they will push for a larger percentage straight away to make it more viable.
Take Cineworld's announcement today. Allowed to open, limited numbers and restrictions, but not viable with what they are getting in so shutting it down.
Cannot compare cineworld with the Scottish football. Apples and oranges.

12 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
49 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Cannot compare cineworld with the Scottish football. Apples and oranges.

How?

Most of those attending Cineworld right now will already be paid up ticket holders (Cineworld Unlimited subscribers) looking to get value out of their subscription.

Operation not viable with few PAYG customers and only selling a few extras like snacks to a percentage of the subscribers.

Lot of parallels there.