Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

4 minutes ago, No_Problemo said:

Schools opening, pubs opening and students returning are much much higher in terms of risk factor than going to the football. 

The government has said that everything will be done in phases, so these were higher up the list in priority and higher risk but they were always coming back before crowds at football was.  If the cases hadn't risen I am sure that crowds would have been back this year. Now it is looking like the spring could be best case. 

5 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

As far as I could see it at the time, The October start was based on the Autumn flu season being underway across Europe and a decision could be made before the season started if it should take place.

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless you also thought all the clubs would sign their entire squads the day before the first game.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

This makes absolutely no sense whatsoever unless you also thought all the clubs would sign their entire squads the day before the first game.

There is three weeks until the start of the season, France, Spain and Italy were tanking badly in infection rates, countries that had handled the original wave swiftly like Czech Republic, Austria and Iceland have had huge upsurges in recent weeks comparable to the initial wave. Anyone who has been paying attention could see that the UK was heading for a big second wave 2-3 weeks ago. 

Starting a season in August, then cancelling it or halting it would have been unmanageable across all four leagues and beyond at the conclusion and aftermath of last season. An October start gave more opportunities to delay it further. I am sure that the government official green light that the league could start on October 17th was only given fairly recently. 

Other leagues restarting and only having minor issues with cases and delayed fixtures have, I am sure kept the start of the season on track. If there had been major issues, we could have feasibly seen an 18 game season from January.    

On 25/09/2020 at 22:20, diegomarahenry said:

There is three weeks until the start of the season, France, Spain and Italy were tanking badly in infection rates, countries that had handled the original wave swiftly like Czech Republic, Austria and Iceland have had huge upsurges in recent weeks comparable to the initial wave. Anyone who has been paying attention could see that the UK was heading for a big second wave 2-3 weeks ago. 

Starting a season in August, then cancelling it or halting it would have been unmanageable across all four leagues and beyond at the conclusion and aftermath of last season. An October start gave more opportunities to delay it further. I am sure that the government official green light that the league could start on October 17th was only given fairly recently. 

Other leagues restarting and only having minor issues with cases and delayed fixtures have, I am sure kept the start of the season on track. If there had been major issues, we could have feasibly seen an 18 game season from January.    

No you couldnt. Because clubs have already employed a team of players who need paying. The notion that October was picked for any medical flu season reason with a half eye on calling it off is complete fantasy. It was a compromise between those clubs who wanted to play straight away and those wanted to defer as long as possible with timing based both on the imminent expiry of furlough and the time required to fit kn a 3/4 season. Nothing deeper than that.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

6 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

No you couldnt. Because clubs have already employed a team of players who need paying. The notion that October was picked for any medical flu season reason with a half eye on calling it off is complete fantasy. It was a compfomise between those clubs who wanted to play straight away and those wanted to defer as long as possible with timing based bogh on the imminent expiry of furlough and the time required to fit kn a 3/4 season. Nothing deeper than that.

The governments ended the season in March when clubs had players that needed paying, they introduced the furlough scheme for the entire population that required it. 

They still have the ability to stop this season and offer the clubs the same deal the rest of the population are getting now, where the government pay a third or you can lose your job. 

On 24/09/2020 at 18:08, virginton said:

Unlike live events, Scottish football had a chance to adapt to a reduced income over the summer. If they've fucked it since then that is not the government's problem and they should be at the back of the queue for what limited support is available.

On this note, apologies for sharing this horrible rag but:

Ei0lWc9XkAA7WIX.jpeg.thumb.jpg.82e75c1e722dc4bb30799d265eb71e1c.jpg

Now maybe that mention of clubs running out of money in five weeks is just baseless tabloid scaremongering, and I do appreciate that one of the motivations of a later start to the season was the hope that crowds could be back in grounds, but how could any club budget so badly that five weeks of an entirely foreseeable scenario could bankrupt them? There was never a guarantee of having fans back, have clubs ploughed on with their only budget adjustment being a slight reduction based on getting normal gate revenues for 13/14 games rather than 18?

On 25/09/2020 at 10:19, Skyline Drifter said:

Restricted crowds, certainly restricted to below season ticket numbers, is a nightmare. It's adding a whole raft of work and costs for absolutely no extra income. From a club point of view closed door is better than nearly closed door is. We'd be better going directly from no crowd to full crowd with nothing in between but I appreciate that's not going to happen.

Out of interest how does stewarding work? We've used Dunedin - no idea if it's a rebrand to Kingdom now. Do we use them because they have some kind of certification?

I've been to events in the Hydro with 8000 people where the stewards are all volunteers. What's to stop a club doing that?

Edited by LeodhasXD

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

The governments ended the season in March when clubs had players that needed paying, they introduced the furlough scheme for the entire population that required it. 

They still have the ability to stop this season and offer the clubs the same deal the rest of the population are getting now, where the government pay a third or you can lose your job. 

And they wont do that again, nor allow the virus to run away to that extent. Football can be played with appropriate protocols in place. Thats clear. There will be no need to swingeingly stop activity the way they did in March. Banning crowds isnt the same thing. There is no chance the Govt orders football to stop again any time soon. 

Footballers are not going to do one third of hours. They either play or they dont.

On this note, apologies for sharing this horrible rag but:
Ei0lWc9XkAA7WIX.jpeg.thumb.jpg.82e75c1e722dc4bb30799d265eb71e1c.jpg
Now maybe that mention of clubs running out of money in five weeks is just baseless tabloid scaremongering, and I do appreciate that one of the motivations of a later start to the season was the hope that crowds could be back in grounds, but how could any club budget so badly that five weeks of an entirely foreseeable scenario could bankrupt them? There was never a guarantee of having fans back, have clubs ploughed on with their only budget adjustment being a slight reduction based on getting normal gate revenues for 13/14 games rather than 18?

Looking at the signings and contracts being offered by some clubs I think it’s entirely possible!

Let’s face it, we don’t have a great financial planning record in Scottish football generally!

Without turning this into too much of a political discussion;

I understand it seems silly to allow people to go to the football when they can’t visit other homes, even family.

But using the same logic, it’s not just silly, but crazy to think that it’s safer for people to watch football in pubs (even if at tables only,) than at the outdoor socially distanced stadium.

I don’t think things will change, in fact we’re probably heading for full lockdown, but there is a very strong argument for small numbers socially distanced in grounds being one of the safer things to do currently.

If we keep the hospitality industry open to save their economy, why not football’s?!

1 hour ago, LeodhasXD said:

Out of interest how does stewarding work? We've used Dunedin - no idea if it's a rebrand to Kingdom now. Do we use them because they have some kind of certification?

I've been to events in the Hydro with 8000 people where the stewards are all volunteers. What's to stop a club doing that?

Stewarding requirements are part of the safety certificates. There are three levels of stewards, some are licensed to be able to touch people, some are not. Stewards need a level of training and there need to be do many of each kind presemt depending on attendance.

Things will be different when closed door and largely their purpose is probably to keep people out rather than in.

23 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And they wont do that again, nor allow the virus to run away to that extent. Football can be played with appropriate protocols in place. Thats clear. There will be no need to swingeingly stop activity the way they did in March. Banning crowds isnt the same thing. There is no chance the Govt orders football to stop again any time soon. 

Footballers are not going to do one third of hours. They either play or they dont.

I made this point on another thread, Football has returned in other countries and there have been minor issues with positive test levels and postponements. There would be no justification in postponing or cancelling leagues in Scotland. 

But they still could. 

3 hours ago, craigkillie said:

My view is that most of this current narrative is about applying pressure to the government to either allow some number of fans in or provide financial support. I reckon there is a degree of exaggeration being introduced as a result.

I think the first bit is right... but not sure how much exaggeration there is (and don't actually think it matters).

Surely at least clubs should be allowed to run their hospitality with measures in place as this is no different to a resteraunt or bar and would give clubs a much needed income source.
The Raith Chairman was very cautious by way of getting any fans in the ground. We have circa 1000 season ticket holders which can easily fit into the ground with social distancing. The issue is that with the current tests being done at grounds THERE IS, NO SOURCE OF MATCHDAY I COME. no hospitality, no catering. What encouragement is there for clubs when they already have your money to open up and have the costs of electricity, stewarding etc etc. There is none. [emoji24]

All seems a bit illogical that football isn’t allowed in small numbers.

I am allowed to go to Greggs in the Overgate shopping centre, queue at the till, buy a pie and a drink, go sit on a public bench and watch a potentially infinite number of people walk past within a few metres of me.

I am not allowed to go to Dens, a building only accessible to a designated number of people, probably not queue at the till, but a pie and a drink, go sit in my designated seat, watch a few hundred people do the same thing nearby, all of whom have names and addresses known to the club, while 23 people run around with a ball about 50 metres away.

On 26/09/2020 at 11:45, Hammerafc said:

Surely at least clubs should be allowed to run their hospitality with measures in place as this is no different to a resteraunt or bar and would give clubs a much needed income source.

I think Annan yesterday streamed  their friendly to their own Social Club at the ground where table sat drinkers were able to watch it about 10 yards from the pitch! 

Edited by Skyline Drifter