Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

37 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lots of clubs do that. It's far from unique. We've effectively done it this year.

Hope by effectively doing this the manager can bring quality players in for next season, I see lots of Championship clubs seem to be heading for a mid Aug pre season start date guessing with very little activity at Palmerston it's more likely to be a Sept date before pre season starts for Queens? 

Guest Flash
1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Lots of clubs do that. It's far from unique. We've effectively done it this year.

Ludo’s point implies that the squad goes out of contract then all, or most of them, are re-signed. Please tell me that isn’t what you mean.

9 minutes ago, Flash said:

Ludo’s point implies that the squad goes out of contract then all, or most of them, are re-signed. Please tell me that isn’t what you mean.

I've no earthly idea if any of last year's so far unsigned players might return. Fact is though it's not particularly uncommon for us to have most of the squad out of contract for a period at end of season. At the end of last season we only had Dobbie contracted, though Brownlie, Leighfield, Mercer and Murray ultimately re-signed too. And we also had the likes of Holt and Oliver signed as soon as the window opened too.

I don't think 'having the majority of your squad on expiring one year deals and then offering them a new one (or not) in May' is what he was referring to but rather deliberately planning on letting all your players contracts run out at the start of summer and then holding off on offering a new deal until July (or even August) of purely to cut costs over a regular close season. Morton have been in a pretty similar boat to Queens on this and that's not how I would characterise the club's contract policy at all. 

There's also a middle ground of managers like Jim Duffy playing the 'wait and see' card until signing a stack of cheap ringers touted to him by an agent about three hours before the first Betfred Cup fixture. 

Edited by vikingTON

Guest Flash
4 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I've no earthly idea if any of last year's so far unsigned players might return. Fact is though it's not particularly uncommon for us to have most of the squad out of contract for a period at end of season. At the end of last season we only had Dobbie contracted, though Brownlie, Leighfield, Mercer and Murray ultimately re-signed too. And we also had the likes of Holt and Oliver signed as soon as the window opened too.

I know we often don’t have many players in the close season. It was you saying we had effectively implemented Ludo’s suggestion that players would be released only for a short period that concerned me. Fair enough that it wasn’t what you meant.

May not have been what he meant either. Probably him saying the whole squad was out of contract for a few weeks “to avoid paying them” that led me to think it was a temporary thing and that it would be the same players they re-signed. Never been happier to have misunderstood something.

4 minutes ago, Flash said:

I know we often don’t have many players in the close season. It was you saying we had effectively implemented Ludo’s suggestion that players would be released only for a short period that concerned me. Fair enough that it wasn’t what you meant.

May not have been what he meant either. Probably him saying the whole squad was out of contract for a few weeks “to avoid paying them” that led me to think it was a temporary thing and that it would be the same players they re-signed. Never been happier to have misunderstood something.

He probably did mean that. And sometimes we re-sign players later, sometimes we don't. Sometimes it depends if they've taken themselves away on holiday or not. This year is clearly unique in pretty much every way though as we didn't immediately look to sign or re-sign anyone since there would have been an enormous cost to it. As I say I've no idea if any of last year's squad will return when we re-start. Several have already gone elsewhere though (Mercer, Murray, Oliver, Kilday, Kidd, Gourlay and I suppose Wilson).

It's still not that uncommon for lower division sides, especially part time ones, to let players leave, or put them on a very low retainer across the summer when they aren't actually working, to save on wages when they have no income.

First test for Scottish football as an Aberdeen player tests positive just days before their game at the weekend.

Season might end up scrapped before you lot even get a go.

Just now, RandomGuy. said:

First test for Scottish football as an Aberdeen player tests positive just days before their game at the weekend.

Season might end up scrapped before you lot even get a go.

1 player testing positive at a club ain't going to scupper the league, just proves the testing system at the football clubs is working. Last week there were 7 reported at St Mirren and turned out it was only was 1 positive ve case. Sure this won't be the only time a player is tested positive over the coming weeks... 

3 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

1 player testing positive at a club ain't going to scupper the league, just proves the testing system at the football clubs is working. Last week there were 7 reported at St Mirren and turned out it was only was 1 positive ve case. Sure this won't be the only time a player is tested positive over the coming weeks... 

Well no, it isn't going to scupper the league but it may very well scupper their next two scheduled games, one of which was already in some doubt given the Aberdeen lockdown. There will need to be a lot of flexibility about match dates in the next year and they could easily be called off on short notice, and given the lack of available dates, filled in again at equally short notice.

3 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

St Mirren was all non-playing staff.

The one player has been training with team mates all week, and was allegedly one of 8 first team players who were out at one of the "infected" pubs at the weekend.

No idea how this works tbh, but wouldn't be stunned if the game was now postponed.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Well no, it isn't going to scupper the league but it may very well scupper their next two scheduled games, one of which was already in some doubt given the Aberdeen lockdown.

It was already confirmed the lockdown wouldn't affect their game on Saturday.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh, which is why I said "one of which", ie, the other one which is due to be hosted IN Aberdeen.

Fair dues.

Any idea how it works in terms of Sky?

Game on Saturday was due to be live, and theyve already started setting up at the ground. No other games scheduled at the same time.

Would they be due compensation if the games postponed?

1 minute ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Uh huh, which is why I said "one of which", ie, the other one which is due to be hosted IN Aberdeen.

Don't see why it would effect the game all players and staff are getting tested during the week people who have to work in Aberdeen are being allowed to travel to work. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

Fair dues.

Any idea how it works in terms of Sky?

Game on Saturday was due to be live, and theyve already started setting up at the ground. No other games scheduled at the same time.

Would they be due compensation if the games postponed?

Wouldn't have thought so. It's not the first time they've had a game postponed that was due to be live on Sky. They'll just show it when rearranged or pick another game to make up their quota. Postponement is an inherent risk of a tv deal. Although these are unusual times and for all I know the amended deal renegotiated in the summer there has some proviso.

1 minute ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Don't see why it would effect the game all players and staff are getting tested during the week people who have to work in Aberdeen are being allowed to travel to work. 

If the player has been out in an affected part of the city, and then went to training, there could be up to 14 days surely before the virus develops?  Just because players are tested twice a week, and found to be negative, doesn't mean that they cant pass the virus on in the days that follow (unless I'm misunderstanding)

It doesn't bode particularly well for football fans attending games when our season starts, in my opinion.  Long way away still of course. 

2 minutes ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

It probably won't but when there's a five mile travel limit on people from Aberdeen, I'd say there's a difference between a team of players who have already been extensively tested leaving briefly to play a football match under sterile and secure controls and returning directly and another one coming INTO an infected area. The latter is more likely to spread it outward than the former. That said, if they are allowing people from outside Aberdeen to travel in to work then you're probably right. I hadn't looked at the detail since I'm about as far away as I could be and still be in Scotland!