Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

5 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

We have been over this before. Clubs at this level cant afford to employ players and pay for testing and compliance for an extra two and a half months without income. Even at best if all goes perfectly the Govt have only this week suggested restricted crowds will be allowed in mid September. If we go the way the Englush have we are likely to have some false starts too. See the snooker crowds being banned after one day for instance.

Its a complete no brainer. The Govt are still covering wages for our clubs. Premiership clubs have been back at work since late June.

I'm sure you have been over it before but I'll be fucked if I'm reading back through 453 pages to see what was said, hence why I asked for a summary. Anytime I went onto the Dundee thread it was pretty depressing reading so I've swerved the football chat for the most part for a couple of months. 

I'm probably missing the point spectacularly here but I don't get the bit about having to pay players as they have to be paid anyway or were they worried about factoring in win bonuses and travel? Were they hedging their bets on crowds being back by October?

Would the government stop covering wages as soon as they kick off again?

15 minutes ago, Dee Man said:

Would the government stop covering wages as soon as they kick off again?

As soon as you start training again players have to come off furlough.

Just now every Championship player will still be on furlough until October, when the scheme is due to expire.

To start the season this weekend, the premiership players have been training since the end of June.

As soon as players are training they are back at work and the government will not cover wages through the furlough scheme.

Premier clubs appear to be able to pay players from June until Sept/Oct/whenever crowds are allowed without any income from pay-at-the-gate fans, lower league teams simply would not be able to survive that long with all of their outgoings and virtually no income.

9 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Just now every Championship player will still be on furlough until October, when the scheme is due to expire.

5 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

To start the season this weekend, the premiership players have been training since the end of June.

As soon as players are training they are back at work and the government will not cover wages through the furlough scheme.

Premier clubs appear to be able to pay players from June until Sept/Oct/whenever crowds are allowed without any income from pay-at-the-gate fans, lower league teams simply would not be able to survive that long with all of their outgoings and virtually no income.

Thank you. 

I wasn't following everything closely at the time and obviously Scottish football isn't high on the priority list for broadcasters here. 

24 minutes ago, stevoraith said:

Premier clubs appear to be able to pay players from June until Sept/Oct/whenever crowds are allowed without any income from pay-at-the-gate fans.

I'm not sure thats true, tbh, not for all clubs anyway.

Its simply a case of having no choice, as if the TV deal goes then the whole of Scottish football loses millions, and just now that money will be vital at all levels.

Sky would have paid the same money if Celtic and Rangers just played each other every weekend tbf. Very clearly all they care about.

As for Jason Leitch, he very clearly has enjoyed the attention during this whole thing and if often going into business for himself with his statements. Since the Scottish Gov have said most things are subject to change at any time, I’ve no idea why anyone would be thinking they’d get guarantees over dates.

4 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

??  Betfred Cup games start in early October, I hope the players will be doing some training before games start!

Employers are permitted to bring staff back on a part-time basis while still keeping them on furlough for part of the week.

As for your second point they'll be off furlough before October, probably mid to end of August and certainly by the beginning of September. In that respect it won't be different to any other pre-season.

Sure the players will be back training at the end Aug start of Sept, as the Betfred cup starts early October. 

42 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Employers are permitted to bring staff back on a part-time basis while still keeping them on furlough for part of the week.

Not sure the relevance of this? It would be based on what their working week was before. If players trained say 12 - 15 hours a week before on a "full time" basis then that's what they'll be doing again now when they start so that's not bringing them back part time. There isn't really any middle ground for professional footballers really. They are either training or they aren't. Managers, etc could be brought back part time now if desired (and clearly some / most are) but unless you are going to say to your players "just come in a couple of days a week for the first fortnight", which is pretty pointless, then they aren't likely to come back part time.

On 02/08/2020 at 14:07, Skyline Drifter said:

Not sure the relevance of this? It would be based on what their working week was before. If players trained say 12 - 15 hours a week before on a "full time" basis then that's what they'll be doing again now when they start so that's not bringing them back part time. There isn't really any middle ground for professional footballers really. They are either training or they aren't. Managers, etc could be brought back part time now if desired (and clearly some / most are) but unless you are going to say to your players "just come in a couple of days a week for the first fortnight", which is pretty pointless, then they aren't likely to come back part time.

Apparently the Ayr players are coming back part-time for the first two weeks and return to full-time training at the end of August.

46 minutes ago, RedEd said:

Apparently the Ayr players are coming back part-time for the first two weeks and return to full-time training at the end of August.

That’s correct , Train Monday and Wednesday , furloughed for the remainder of their hours , they normally train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and if no game also train on a Saturday morning , restart in 17th and go back to full time on 31st 

2 hours ago, RedEd said:

1 hour ago, Robbo63 said:

That’s correct , Train Monday and Wednesday , furloughed for the remainder of their hours , they normally train Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday and if no game also train on a Saturday morning , restart in 17th and go back to full time on 31st 

Fair enough, presumably they'll be about 40% covered for the first fortnight then.

3 hours ago, RedEd said:

Training usually is mornings monday to friday with afternoons free which could be considered part time,  full time training is what? an all day affair?

2 hours ago, Robbo63 said:

there's your answer in the highlighted bit.

Was it Airdrie that used to allow their whole squad to go out of contract for a few weeks to avoid paying them during the close season?
I thought they just let the whole business go out of contact and then signed a new one a few weeks later?