Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

17 hours ago, Shadow Play said:

If there was a significant second wave that prevented the season being completed again would 8 games be enough to declare final league positions or would that be unfair?

If Hearts aren't top then they should call it over for the shits and giggles. Budge would probably explode.

They should leave it as October. As I said before, it's much better to be cautious and have a one off shortened season (that we'll quickly forget about) than risk the financial future of clubs.

It could be financially more dangerous not starting the season in August. Looks like clubs will be allowed some form of a crowd by then so why not?

14 minutes ago, AyrshireTon said:

If Hearts aren't top then they should call it over for the shits and giggles. Budge would probably explode.

Preferably third, then organise 14-10-10-10. 

39 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

They should leave it as October. As I said before, it's much better to be cautious and have a one off shortened season (that we'll quickly forget about) than risk the financial future of clubs.

Maybe, but if there's a chance of a full season clubs would surely be interested.

Just now, itzdrk said:

Maybe, but if there's a chance of a full season clubs would surely be interested.

Why risk it? 

It's a one off situation (hopefully). Clubs are preparing for a shortened season now anyway. 

12 minutes ago, Enigma said:

It could be financially more dangerous not starting the season in August. Looks like clubs will be allowed some form of a crowd by then so why not?

Not following that argument. Clubs are preparing for a shorter season starting in October, and are working on the assumption that the first round of games, or the first few at least, will be in empty stadiums or with a reduced capacity. More importantly, that's what they're budgeting for, and it's what season tickets are being sold on.

If the start was brought forward to August (which would leave clubs almost no time to sign a squad and get friendlies in for fitness and tactics since they aren't yet allowed to train) but there was an outbreak of the virus due to too many things being back at once and too many folk getting lax about the guidelines, then they'd be stuck with a larger squad and having to pay them for a full season with no money.

By giving things time to settle and having an October start, we can see if there is a second wave caused by the easing of lockdown. There most likely will not be and we'll know that it will be safe to start, and it will give teams time to sign a squad and get fitness levels up.

Anyway, there's zero chance of things being changed now anyway, and rightly so. We just need to accept the unique circumstances for one season and have some patience.

7 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

What's the risk? 

Financial.

As I said above, we need to give time to ensure that there isn't a second wave caused by relaxing lockdown measures. October is best for that since we've still to go through all of the phases.

If clubs are signing up players for an earlier start, they'll then be fucked if there's an outbreak caused by the relaxation as they'll be liable for their wages, for more players, for a whole season.

However, if players are signed up for an October start, we can assume then that the virus is under control, Clubs might even be able to insert clauses about a second wave, as we'll know then that relaxation of the lockdown won't the cause.

Most likely everything will be fine, but it simply isn't worth the risk for a couple of months.

2 minutes ago, LincolnHearts said:

ftfy m8, please bookmark.

You actually believe all this shit. 

What a sad, bitter moron.

You do understand that it's just a game of football? Yes?

15 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

You actually believe all this shit. 

What a sad, bitter moron.

You do understand that it's just a game of football? Yes?

It's deliberate; he's fishing for red dots.

Give him a greenie to annoy him.😉

Keep the start date as it is, use the time from August for League Cup/Tunnocks Tea-Cake Cup/whatever as a trial-run for working out how to accommodate crowds when they are allowed back properly (maybe with just one stand open or whatever) and be raring to go at the start of the season proper...

1 hour ago, DA Baracus said:

Financial.

As I said above, we need to give time to ensure that there isn't a second wave caused by relaxing lockdown measures. October is best for that since we've still to go through all of the phases.

If clubs are signing up players for an earlier start, they'll then be fucked if there's an outbreak caused by the relaxation as they'll be liable for their wages, for more players, for a whole season.

However, if players are signed up for an October start, we can assume then that the virus is under control, Clubs might even be able to insert clauses about a second wave, as we'll know then that relaxation of the lockdown won't the cause.

Most likely everything will be fine, but it simply isn't worth the risk for a couple of months.

I don't agree that there is any increase in risk starting in September or October. 

2 minutes ago, itzdrk said:

I don't agree that there is any increase in risk starting in September or October. 

Doesn't matter what you or I think, it's been decided and won't be changed now.

Just now, DA Baracus said:

This isn't a sensible football nation, nor a normal event, it can change and it might. 

1 minute ago, DA Baracus said:

I'm not sure its set in stone.

It could be changed, I'm not sure there is the appetite to bring it forward. The decision would also need to be made soon to allow clubs to plan, sign players and get them in for training/pre season.

Just now, Trogdor said:

I'm not sure its set in stone.

It could be changed, I'm not sure there is the appetite to bring it forward. The decision would also need to be made soon to allow clubs to plan, sign players and get them in for training/pre season.

Clubs have prepared for the October start. This includes season ticket sales. 

The fixture lists are being made on the basis of a shorter season. The season would finish early and clubs would be waiting around for ages for the playoffs. Mental nonsense. 

Clubs have budgeted to start the signing process at a certain time (i.e. won't have to pay wages until later). If the season starts earlier it finishes earlier too yet many clubs will be sitting around having no games but still having to pay some players to the end of their contracts.

Clubs would never vote to change to an earlier start now. It would be massive upheaval and would cost them money.

1 hour ago, itzdrk said:

What's the risk? 

You start in August you have to start signing players probably or taking existing ones off furlough now. Income streams are still vastly reduced, payroll costs are currently nil, will be close to nil next month and are 60% covered in August. There is no real economic argument to try to start playing much earlier. Its also likely even if you could have crowds in August they will be severely limited and the compliance costs of scanning, disinfecting, etc will be prohibitive.  I'm sure they will look and consider but I am pretty doubtful its realistic to start much earlier even assuming we dont get a second spike.

It's too late already to decide to start in line with the Premiership with clubs not back in training yet. When we don't know for sure yet what level restrictions are going to be at in August anyway, rushing back into training sooner than planned with all the costs associated with that could backfire.

We are still far enough out though that there's surely scope to bring the Challenge Cup forward rather than scrapping it or pushing it back to 2021. If we're all back in training from the start of August when furlough begins to be scaled back anyway and we have confirmation crowds are allowed again, you could have that starting in mid-September. You'd need to find an alternative format so teams aren't playing once then having no other competitive games for a month though. This is also dependent on what format the League Cup is taking and how it fits around the Premiership schedule.

Edited by Dunning1874