Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Boring system with the chance of 3/4 league games against the same teams each season- too many divisions in such a small country.

Agreed. Not to mention additional cup games - tedious and repetitive. Considerably larger divisions needed. . with more promotion/relegation and playoff spots (possibly also splits) to ensure something to play for deep into the season.

The current Division 1 often sees a greater number of new teams each season but their greater potential for membership turnover does not outweigh the tedium of 4 to 6 meetings a season between the same teams

On a separate matter, what’s wrong with the occasional relegation and why the excessive effort to negate it. I’m sure it rejuvenated Hearts last time around, plus offers a bit of silverware which would be unlikely in the top tier. For Hertz and Thistle, a rare chance to be big fish for a bit and return refreshed and reenergised.

Seeing, as we apparently, need to have four Glasgow derbies a season. Why dont we enlarge the league and then top two have a two legged play-off for the title. The uglies invariably finish1-2 so they can have a double dumter at seasons end! Nobody outside of the Glasgow bubble gives a toss what cheek wins the league anyway.

Also leaves scope for much hilarity if one of them finishes 20 points ahead of second and then makes an arse of the championship decider!

Ps. This is not a serious suggestion, so it might have a chance!

Boring system with the chance of 3/4 league games against the same teams each season- too many divisions in such a small country.
Good Luck to Hearts and Partick in the courts and Good Luck to Brora and Kelty in the future.
Whilst bored of repeated games, I don't think too many teams.

Would love to know how hearts think this is a good idea
Season ending early within league rules.
Hearts took part in vote
Budge was appointed head of reconstruction task force to avoid it.
Between them, partick and Stranraer they won a total of 12 league games all season.
Hearts had 90 points to play for and got 23. Lost 50% of games played.
Get Doon and as uncle Roy said, take your medicine.

Given this is championship thread I don't think any reconstruction needs change in configuration of the premiership. I think a 12 team championship gives the league some good option. The whole split in the premiership could be more exciting if Celtic and Rangers generally were not so far in front of the rest. Also with only 1 automatic relegation slot there is less jepardby in the bottom half 

A 12 team championship even with the same system would work so much better. The title is more competitive and the race for play off positions with teams playing each other right at the end. Take this season that finished early. For Arbroath getting into the top 6 would be a great achievement and the feeling of knowing they are safe at the moment of the split no matter how close teams below were and the bigger crowds and prize money in the last few games.  The top 4 out of 6 with either automatic or promotion play off spots. 

Bottom half likewise would have advantages. With a bigger league at the very least we could have 2 automatic relegation positions and let play offs be just for league 1 teams to come up or 3rd bottom team goes into play off where 2nd bottom currently do.

It still keeps the league mostly full time in fact more opportunity for teams to establish themselves and develop at that level. Once we get beyond 24 teams in the top two tiers I think then the quality in tier 2 would significantly dilute but this would freshen up the league and create a better product to sell.  Better than what we have currently and we don't need premier to take the lead on how we shape our division.

A ten team setup with six teams in some sort of playoff/automatic outcome certainly isn't producing a stable league with a credible end product. Hilarious as the individual demises of Falkirk and Partick have been, I'd rather watch some coherent teams that could keep weans out of a close and pass the ball effectively most weeks instead of the endless parade of six month ringers that are brought in to sneak promotion/bail out a disastrous relegation bound rabble of a squad respectively.

Moving to 12 or 14 from the end of next season while keeping playoffs would be a distinct improvement on the current manic-depressive mess. 

A ten team setup with six teams in some sort of playoff/automatic outcome certainly isn't producing a stable league with a credible end product. Hilarious as the individual demises of Falkirk and Partick have been, I'd rather watch some coherent teams that could keep weans out of a close and pass the ball effectively most weeks instead of the endless parade of six month ringers that are brought in to sneak promotion/bail out a disastrous relegation bound rabble of a squad respectively.
Moving to 12 or 14 from the end of next season while keeping playoffs would be a distinct improvement on the current manic-depressive mess. 
My main objection to reconstruction is that it should not be the back of an envelope pish they've been offering.

It has to be after a full season so teams know what they are competing for.

Why do Leagues 1 & 2 have the option of an August, October or January start? Were the Championship clubs given the same option?

Would presume we were given august or October as the talk was championship had agreed october 17th.

9 hours ago, johnnydun said:

Why do Leagues 1 & 2 have the option of an August, October or January start? Were the Championship clubs given the same option?

I’m pretty sure they did.  The vote for an October start was put forward by the championship clubs as a collective as a result of their league wide discussions.

2 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I'm just wondering what you guys in the championship think about the 27 game season?

As it creates an imbalance off home and away fixtures, so I wonder if / how, we could create a 28th round of fixtures to even things up?  Maybe a round of local(ish) derby matches or something?

It doesn't really matter what the fixtures are for the 28th round off games, and i know it means playing one of the teams a fourth time.. However I prefer 14 home games and 14 away games for every team to keep things equal and fair for everyone!

The way I see it, the first round of 9 fixtures will be behind closed doors so the usual home crowd advantage won't come into play.

5 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

I'm just wondering what you guys in the championship think about the 27 game season?

As it creates an imbalance off home and away fixtures, so I wonder if / how, we could create a 28th round of fixtures to even things up?  Maybe a round of local(ish) derby matches or something?

It doesn't really matter what the fixtures are for the 28th round off games, and i know it means playing one of the teams a fourth time.. However I prefer 14 home games and 14 away games for every team to keep things equal and fair for everyone!

If you are effectively talking about an extra friendly at the end of the season for absolutely no points, why on earth would anyone want to play that? If you seriously intend for it to count for points then I think having an imbalanced distribution of opposition is far more unfair than an imbalance of home / away games. We're in the Scottish Championship here (and you're two divisions lower). With the exception of Hearts, there's no massive benefit to playing at home anyway, especially as the imbalanced game will be the 1st one and will definitely be behind closed doors.

If you can't play 36 games (and certainly we can't, the lower leagues may feel differently), then you play 27. If you can't play 27 then you play 18. You don't deliberately not play a multiple of 9 (I accept that a 2nd spike of covid might still leave next season cut short again too, if that's the case so be it but you don't deliberately set up with an imbalance of opposition). If come end of season we're sitting 9th and 10th with say Alloa and they've got Abroath to play while we've got Hearts as the extra games how is that remotely fair?

Edited by Skyline Drifter

34 minutes ago, Tenkay said:

We played each other 3 times per season back when it was 10-14-14 (late 80s & early 90s). For some reason this was never in danger of happening in the top flight....

The computer in charge of distributing the fixtures often gave us two away games against the likes of Dundee, Brechin & Forfar (and f**king Meadowbank)  yet two home games against the likes of Clydebank and Partick Thistle.

39 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

The way I see it, the first round of 9 fixtures will be behind closed doors so the usual home crowd advantage won't come into play.

Agree with this.

Suppose they could even move the matches to a neutral venue for all empty stadium games if, but don't really see the point.

I don't mind it due to circumstances, and if fans can get to the October games then I'm still fine with it, even though there will be some imbalance somewhere. It's a unique season due to circumstances and everyone needs to accept that, including when it comes to final league positions in May. There's way to guarantee 'fairness' in this situation and that's fine.

The idea of playing an extra game at the end is not one I would back.

Edited by DA Baracus

I'm quite alright with a 27 game season. Hearts will naturally be favourites to absolutely scoosh the league but with 27 fewer points to play for there could be a surprise or two if a team gets off to a quick start.

On 21/06/2020 at 09:47, RandomGuy. said:

I've no idea how it works, but theres every chance that Rangers progressing further could see us with 6 European spots (although this new competition will be an absolute drain, as theres next to no money to be made from it in terms of prize money).

Typo surely. There's very little chance of Sevco progressing further in the absence of (a) money to buy players and (b) a decent manager.

1 hour ago, Tenkay said:

...it creates an imbalance off home and away fixtures...

The reality of likely playing a round behind closed doors means home advantage is pretty much gone. Apologies for the source, but they quote a recent academic study: https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-home-advantage-lost-ghost-22156540

The takeaway from a number of closed door games is that home advantage is mostly the impact of a home crowd influencing referees. Without this factor, the difference almost even out. It’s pretty easy to determine PPG for home and away trips and see that most teams numbers aren’t sufficiently different to have a significant difference over the imbalanced schedule, but some small advantage is likely to accrue to a side or two.