Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

2 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

EDIT - And see post above about Dele who I had no idea was the same person as Mr Alli. I wish folk would stop changing their user names. It was a pain in the arse when you changed to Speroni for a few weeks too.

lMH0Bo.gif

It's ironic, really - after all these long, looong weeks of accusing clubs of acting with their own self-interests in mind we now have Hearts and Partick looking to deprive 3 clubs of promotion and possibly driving others out of business because they're, errr, acting with their own self-interests in mind....... 

You couldn't make this stuff up. 

I’ve tried not to read too much into all of this because quite frankly there’s so much pish surrounding it, its hard to keep up with it all.

All clubs voted to have championship to league 2 culled. Obviously controversy surrounding the Dundee vote. With that it meant that Dundee United, Raith and Cove were all promoted as champions. No play-off. This was voted by all clubs (again not without controversy) but voted all the same.

Premiership was then voted to finish (I’m assuming Hearts had a vote in this as well?) Celtic declared champions on point per game basis. All voted, all above board? Unless there’s something I’ve missed?

Then came the reconstruction votes, which have all been voted down (all above board I presume, again correct me if I’m wrong)

So ultimately what is the issue here? Of course teams will have voted in self interest to cull the leagues (championship to league 2) due to wanting the final payments for league placings, whether the SPFL used this as carrot for them to get their way is I’d imagine still yet to be proven (will it ever be proven?) 

The situation of fairness seems irrelevant to me due to how things have been voted for? Of course being relegated with games left to play is unfair, but surely in the same way as being denied a championship (and a promotion) because the league was brought to a stop is unfair? 

The argument of Budge saying that they have no problem awarding titles to Dundee United, Raith and Cove but have a problem with promotion is no more unfair than them being relegated. Of course it then came that these reconstruction proposals would aid all of this and keep everyone happy, yet it was massively shot down. Wonder why that was? The majority of clubs that would have shot it down weren’t in any of these promotion slots and some of them probably would have been in the play-off spots. That’s pretty telling that basically no one was interested in this setup. 

Surely that would have been a line drawn, but yet here we are.

Getting away from all the virus and fitba’ related doom for a second or two, apparently there’s going to be an NHS-style “clap” in memory of Vera Lynn.

Dont know where, don’t know when.

Top 16

Play home and away - 30 games

After 30 games, top 4 split, play home and away

Bottom 4 split, play home and away, bottom 2 straight down, 3rd bottom in a play-off

Middle 8 split in to 2 leagues of 4, play each other home and away, the winners of each group play each other home and away for a Europa League place.

15 minutes ago, diegomarahenry said:

Top 16

Bottom 4 split, play home and away, bottom 2 straight down, 3rd bottom in a play-off

Middle 8 split in to 2 leagues of 4, play each other home and away, the winners of each group play each other home and away for a Europa League place.

Would the middle 8 be a random draw? Otherwise 9th would be a better finish than 5th-8th

1 hour ago, diegomarahenry said:

Top 16

Is the correct answer... Keeps interest at every level (especially in the middle), no home/away imbalance, and the broadcasters get their precious four The Rangers* v Sellick games (assuming the pair actually earn them)...

Have you been on the phone to Mrs Budge yet?

1 hour ago, BraeTon74 said:

Would the middle 8 be a random draw? Otherwise 9th would be a better finish than 5th-8th

Could be weighed in the teams finishing higher ups favour, , they would both have 2 teams from the (middle section) bottom 4

5th, 12, 10, 8th

6th, 11, 9th, 7th

1 minute ago, The Ghost of B A R P said:

Is the correct answer... Keeps interest at every level (especially in the middle), no home/away imbalance, and the broadcasters get their precious four The Rangers* v Sellick games (assuming the pair actually earn them)...

Have you been on the phone to Mrs Budge yet?

It also promotes all teams in play-off positions in all leagues, no relegation. 

7 hours ago, diegomarahenry said:

Top 16

Theres only 5 european places and one has to go the Scottish Cup winners.

The European slots can change aswell, when your coefficient changes you can lose/gain places.

Basing your entire league system on something that isnt set in stone seems daft.

Edited by RandomGuy.

Theres only 5 european places and one has to go the Scottish Cup winners.
The European slots can change aswell, when your coefficient changes you can lose/gain places.
Basing your entire league system on something that isnt set in stone seems daft.

Does it matter? outside the ugly sisters most SPFL Premiership teams would be better forfeiting the UEFA games and save themselves the embarrassment of getting hammered by European part timers.

1 minute ago, San Starko Rover said:

Does it matter? outside the ugly sisters most SPFL Premiership teams would be better forfeiting the UEFA games and save themselves the embarrassment of getting hammered by European part timers.

Well if you're accepting the "middle 8" is a complete dead zone and trying to make it have a point by giving them a European place to fight for, then you better make sure theres, you know, an actual European place available.

We go to his set up, the coefficient changes and we only have 3 European spots guaranteed through the league, and do we reconstruct again?

Well if you're accepting the "middle 8" is a complete dead zone and trying to make it have a point by giving them a European place to fight for, then you better make sure theres, you know, an actual European place available.
We go to his set up, the coefficient changes and we only have 3 European spots guaranteed through the league, and do we reconstruct again?
There's never an answer about how this would fit in with the Scottish Cup winner's place - either the playoffs have to happen after the cup final, which means playing them into June (and removing the final being the end of the season) or they potentially get played through and then you have to change the outcome based on the final.

It works in other countries where the cup final happens in March so the outcome is known in advance.

Are we likely to go to 3 European spots (have we ever had that few?) with the new third competition?

I don't think playing teams only three times or having an odd number of home/away games is inherently unfair as along as it is done in a fair way, i.e. over 2 seasons you get a fair balance, but the primary motivation for me in any proposal is something that creates a competitive and meaningful structure. 

That middle eight splitting into two groups of four (e.g. 5th, 7th, 10th, 12th; 6th, 8th, 9th, 11th) then the winners playing off for Euro spot sounds a reasonable idea to me.

I never liked the idea of playing a full season then playing-off for Europe but this idea gets round that as you have the final six games to win your place. 

There are flaws with 16 teams but that proposal is miles better than anything that was actually put forward on first glance. 

Edited by Radford

16 minutes ago, Radford said:

Are we likely to go to 3 European spots (have we ever had that few?) with the new third competition?

I've no idea how it works, but theres every chance that Rangers progressing further could see us with 6 European spots (although this new competition will be an absolute drain, as theres next to no money to be made from it in terms of prize money).

18 minutes ago, aloreburne1919 said:

Boring system with the chance of 3/4 league games against the same teams each season- too many divisions in such a small country.

Good Luck to Hearts and Partick in the courts and Good Luck to Brora and Kelty in the future.

Nope, nope and nope.