Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Why do you think all the Falkirk fans are suddenly coming out from under this rock and acting pally with Hearts & Partick Thistle fans?

A few, no more. Most of us are either understanding of the situation or just too worn down by perennial gargantuan ineptitude from our club and the authorities to be arsed any more.

2 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

I’d genuinely rather be reading yet again about how this summer’s crop of Falkirk boy band signings are going to win The Championship League One than all the bleating about how unfair everything is.

Having seen that last year, no you wouldn’t!

Edited by TxRover

Think the best way in the future to get reconstruction to happen will be for the SPFL to publish changes which will happen in say 2 seasons time instead of 2 months.

This would remove a lot of the internal 'self interest' bickering about "reconstruction favouring the likes of Dundee, Hearts, Partick and Inverness" as the clubs wouldn't know who's going to be where in two years time. 

I think it's inevitable reconstruction will happen soon enough in the future, i reckon the next 5 years. Now just wasn't the time because it was rushed and the SPFL destroyed the trust between clubs with the fiasco vote involving Dundee right at the start of this. After that the clubs were always going to do whatever they liked instead of listen to the league leaders. 

The aftermath of that vote and self interest i can best think of describing as your boss not following the health and safety rules but then expecting all their employees to follow them.

4 hours ago, rb123! said:

Think the best way in the future to get reconstruction to happen will be for the SPFL to publish changes which will happen in say 2 seasons time instead of 2 months.

This would remove a lot of the internal 'self interest' bickering about "reconstruction favouring the likes of Dundee, Hearts, Partick and Inverness" as the clubs wouldn't know who's going to be where in two years time. 

I think it's inevitable reconstruction will happen soon enough in the future, i reckon the next 5 years. Now just wasn't the time because it was rushed and the SPFL destroyed the trust between clubs with the fiasco vote involving Dundee right at the start of this. After that the clubs were always going to do whatever they liked instead of listen to the league leaders. 

The aftermath of that vote and self interest i can best think of describing as your boss not following the health and safety rules but then expecting all their employees to follow them.

Why is reconstruction desirable or inevitable?

Exactly. There was no talk of, and seemingly no appetite for, reconstruction before March of this year.
What we have isn’t perfect but it’s probably the best solution.
Reconstruction has only been on the table in order to stop relegations from an incomplete season.

What is desperately needed is a redistribution of the prize money so that it doesn’t so heavily favour the premier, and the top two in particular, but that’s never going to happen.

28 minutes ago, HMIP said:

Reconstruction means the big clubs voting to get less money.  Draw your own conclusion.

The distribution of wealth could be altered without changing how many sides populate each division.

It's not going to be, but the two needn't be, and aren't, synonymous.

A feature of this has been, as noted above, that any clamour for reconstruction has been motivated purely by a desire to prevent some clubs, especially Hearts, from facing relegation following a curtailed season.  

The failure to get this through is due in part, to the fact that this has so blatantly been the case.  There's not really been a strong argument put forward by anyone - least of all shouty Budge and English - about why reconstruction is intrinsically a good thing.  I don't see why it is, and I'm afraid that simply saying and assuming that it's somehow non-specifically beneficial, won't change that.

Edited by Monkey Tennis

5 hours ago, rb123! said:

Are you suggesting that the SPFL can just make changes to the league structure themselves, any time they fancy?

Take a look at the rules.
Also the government guidance has played a role in it too as the Premiership being able to start is in a different phase to the other leagues.
You're at it though. You know all this fine. You're crying like it's a regular season upcoming, but you know fine well why it's different.
'Beggars belief' [emoji28]
You're either monumentally thick or absolutely at it.

I am asking you what rule it is, since you are adamant it is there.

I will look forward to reading about each divisions meeting to decide when to start and how many games to play every season from now on.

Actually the fact that it isn’t and wasn’t a regular season is my point. There have been too many excuses put forward about prize money, player contracts etc not being able to be implemented because it’s not normal - but here you are now saying things are different so we need to do things differently.

The results for the season stood for everyone. The SPFL clubs overwhelmingly voted for all 42 places to be decided on a points per game basis. They also overwhelmingly voted to cancel the play-offs this season.

Actually when that 1st vote was taken it was only for the 3 lower tiers. The Premiership didn’t decide to finish until later.

7 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

I am asking you what rule it is, since you are adamant it is there.

I will look forward to reading about each divisions meeting to decide when to start and how many games to play every season from now on.

Actually the fact that it isn’t and wasn’t a regular season is my point. There have been too many excuses put forward about prize money, player contracts etc not being able to be implemented because it’s not normal - but here you are now saying things are different so we need to do things differently.

You're being serious here, aren't you?

Wow.

6 minutes ago, jagsfan57 said:

Actually when that 1st vote was taken it was only for the 3 lower tiers. The Premiership didn’t decide to finish until later.

The original vote determined that the points per game mechanism would be used for all four leagues and ended the three lower leagues. The Premiership clubs later unanimously agreed that their season couldn't be played out, which meant that the rules from the original vote applied.