Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

34 minutes ago, Beastie Russell said:

Would it not be easier to play the first round of games behind closed doors, then round 2 & 3 with fans ?

Therefore no inequality in terms of home v away games split ?

This gets games up and running quicker, but gives more time to sort out the potential bottlenecks in grounds, turnstiles to get in, toilets, programmes, food sales, exits Etc

You can't really operate on this basis - as soon as fans are allowed to get in, clubs will be desperate to get them through the door, whether that's after 1 game, 4 games or 7 games. They won't be waiting until the first round is completed due to some notion of fairness.

Edited by craigkillie

15 hours ago, Trogdor said:

Yeah, the indignation from Partick and Hearts is quite annoying. They were both bottom of their respective leagues on merit (or lack thereof). Its a fecking pandemic with no ideal solution to conclude the football season. Just accept it rather than accusing every other club of shafting them. They've been moaning for too long. I loved Thistle's latest statement - nothing says tears and snotters quite like providing a definition of self-interest and then saying that's not our motivation.

It almost annoys me as much as the opportunism of Brora & Kelty. Just promote both of us its only fair. 🤣

Well they were relegated before the end of the season in a situation where it's reasonably conceivable that they could have worked out. Of course they are going to moan about that. It doesn't necessarily mean that there was a better overall solution that could have been achieved but they've very blatantly been shafted.

50 minutes ago, BraeTon74 said:

If you make a decision and lay down a precedent then immediately say that it was the wrong thing to do, then you would obviously open yourself up to legal action. 

If the dust settles and time passes then sure, but its quite a simple case to make - why is this the right decision today but wasn't 6 months ago. 

It's not a precedent. It's the result of a democratic vote.

By your logic, the result of the October 1974 General Election shouldn't have stood because it was different from the result of the February election. 

11 hours ago, Tynierose said:

I heard it this morning and the source is reliable.

I have also heard from a reliable source that turkeys don't vote for Christmas each year. So if 11-1 is needed probably 50-1 of getting support from PL teams.

But I dare say if we all could reliably pick winners the bookies would fold and not drive Mercs.

1 hour ago, BraeTon74 said:

If you make a decision and lay down a precedent then immediately say that it was the wrong thing to do, then you would obviously open yourself up to legal action. 

If the dust settles and time passes then sure, but its quite a simple case to make - why is this the right decision today but wasn't 6 months ago. 

Again, you seem to be confusing clubs voting for something with a body making a rule change. The clubs can vote on whatever they like and if it gets enough votes then it will pass.

7 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Daily Record are reporting reconstruction has failed. 3 premiership clubs against and loads of missing votes.

Where is the talk re missing votes?

If it was a case of 9-3 and other leagues being on board or close, that would seem to me strong enough to advance onto the formal vote at the EGM.

10 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Daily Record are reporting reconstruction has failed. 3 premiership clubs against and loads of missing votes.

Clubs just pieing the vote is probably the best response to this nonsense now. It needs to go away.

38 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

I have also heard from a reliable source that turkeys don't vote for Christmas each year. So if 11-1 is needed probably 50-1 of getting support from PL teams.

But I dare say if we all could reliably pick winners the bookies would fold and not drive Mercs.

I actually heard nothing.  Was just being contrary and jumping on bandwagon.

4 minutes ago, harry94 said:

Where is the talk re missing votes?

If it was a case of 9-3 and other leagues being on board or close, that would seem to me strong enough to advance onto the formal vote at the EGM.

I may have picked it up wrongly but it was on the Record's live event page. I'm sure it said at least 3 premierships clubs and significant number of votes still to be cast. It didn't mention other leagues, I would be surprised if its not soundly defeated in the Championship.

4 minutes ago, GiGi said:

Clubs just pieing the vote is probably the best response to this nonsense now. It needs to go away.

Totally agree. Its time to move forward.

Fully expect Budge to continue the tantrum and go to court though.

The checkpoints would make it more interesting, but I can't see it being used. SD raises one issue, but I think the biggest one could be you could have a team top at the last checkpoint, collapse and fall a few points behind, the season then gets abandoned and a team who are a few points behind, potentially even a couple of positions behind, are awarded the League. In effect you're pretending the last 7-8 games didn't happen. Obviously if that was the agreed procedure beforehand no-one could complain (but this is Scottish football...), but I think points per game, whilst not perfect, does the best job of using all the available evidence to predict the most likely winner.

I think you’re missing the point on how the checkpoints would work.
Nobody is suggesting that you’d go back to the standings at the checkpoint and ignore what happened after.

The checkpoints would be used as markers- for example:
less than 25% of games played- null and void.
25%-75%- end the season and award prize money but no promotion/ relegation
Over 75%- end the season as it stands and promote or relegate as the standings were after the final game (adjusted for points per game), whether that be 75% of games played or 95%.

That’s exactly what happened this season so no legal challenge from anyone and from now on everyone would know where they stand.