Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

I'm still not convinced it couldn't be described as an inducement. The SPFL have prevaricated over  reconstruction until this money has been deposited. It might not be a bribe in the true sense, but it appears the money has become available around the time a decision needs to be made.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

Perhaps you could just answer the question. I'm at work and not going to spend hours listening to a fortnight old episode of Sportsound even if you can still get it somewhere.

The episode in question was comedy gold. I get your point about it being two weeks old and normally I would class as old news. It gave a good insight into proceedings and is well worth a listen

14 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Blank cheque is a figure of speech to reflect your unbridled optimism based on Budge and her performing chimps on Sportsound. Referring to more than one philanthropist, multi millions, ready to be distributed and you and their failures to see that due process would be needed

You are obviously upset that you got things wrong. I understand that. You mentioned a blank cheque and it was an obvious lie. Multi millions ARE available and it’s about 10 days after she said this. According to the programme she told Doncaster about the investor and he said he would get back to her. When she was interviewed she gave the impression he wasn’t very quick in getting back to her and he then told her to do a paper which obviously annoyed her given his initial delay in getting back to her. Doncaster was invited on but refused.  That’s about it as far as I can remember. I have made my point and it’s time to move on!

5 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I'm still not convinced it couldn't be described as an inducement. The SPFL have prevaricated over  reconstruction until this money has been deposited. It might not be a bribe in the true sense, but it appears the money has become available around the time a decision needs to be made.

I think you desperately want it to be an inducement. 

It's not.

1 minute ago, Sting777 said:

You are obviously upset that you got things wrong. I understand that. You mentioned a blank cheque and it was an obvious lie. Multi millions ARE available and it’s about 10 days after she said this. According to the programme she told Doncaster about the investor and he said he would get back to her. When she was interviewed she gave the impression he wasn’t very quick in getting back to her and he then told her to do a paper which obviously annoyed her given his initial delay in getting back to her. Doncaster was invited on but refused.  That’s about it as far as I can remember. I have made my point and it’s time to move on!

Then you should, you'll need to clear your head for Budge's last stand to indirectly save Thistle from relegation. You can add your philanthropy money to the cash you fleeced from the lottery winner.

9 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Then you should, you'll need to clear your head for Budge's last stand to indirectly save Thistle from relegation. You can add your philanthropy money to the cash you fleeced from the lottery winner.

Haha haha! My sides are splitting. Sadly I don’t think Shotts Bon Accord (hoho) will be eligible for any help!

Edited by Sting777

27 game season?

Think the time has come for Scottish football to focus solely on the Premiership and let the other 30 teams pool their resources and come back as maybe just 10 clubs.

What an embarrassing predicament for the lower league clubs. 

3 minutes ago, Sortmeout said:

27 game season?

Think the time has come for Scottish football to focus solely on the Premiership and let the other 30 teams pool their resources and come back as maybe just 10 clubs.

What an embarrassing predicament for the lower league clubs. 

Yes, we're all mortified about this virus.

23 minutes ago, super_carson said:

Are we just debating this time and time again until Hearts don’t get relegated?

Pretty much.  It certainly looks that way.  

There's scarcely even a pretence otherwise.  I really hope the attempts keep failing.

2 hours ago, Monkey Tennis said:

Ok, "earmarked" was the wrong word.

Is there not an element of concern though?  If clubs are gifted this money, but not allowed to spend it on their major outgoing, it seems a rather odd way of countering the crisis.  I'm worried that it removes a valid 'excuse' not to play, without really addressing the fundamental difficulty.

Sorry, I thought you'd read my previous post as inferring it was specifically intended to pay for testing. It isn't but I don't think there's any doubt the motiviation for the donation is to underwrite the costs of testing for clubs who otherwise couldn't have afforded it in a month of sundays.

I don't think there's any doubt the intention is to encourage clubs to get back to playing asap. If the virus restrictions ease sooner than expected perhaps a significant amount of the money can be put to other costs apart from testing. As I say, the likelihood of the condition of not spending on payroll being of any concern is very low. Every single clubs in the SPFL will have non payroll costs of at least £50k per annum. That's before we consider testing. It's a pointless condition really. It only has relevance if your non payroll outgoings are less than that. Subsidise payroll directly or subsidise rents, maintenance, kits, travel expenses, medical costs, stewarding, etc, etc makes no odds. If you save it there it's available to underwrite payroll.

Clubs will ultimately have to decide for themselves how risk averse they are in terms of budgeting a team onto the pitch since it seems very likely that we are going to be coming back for a shortened season by October.

I’m still not convinced this will go through.

Unless I’m mistaken Aberdeen have already said there against reconstruction which means it’ll only take one more Premiership club to end any chance of it happening.

I think they should draw a line under this for now but look to the possibility of a new look setup beginning in 2021/22.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I’m still not convinced this will go through.

Unless I’m mistaken Aberdeen have already said there against reconstruction which means it’ll only take one more Premiership club to end any chance of it happening.

I think they should draw a line under this for now but look to the possibility of a new look setup beginning in 2021/22.

Why though? What's actually wrong with the current set up? The only thing that needs to be changed in the leagues is to bring in automatic relegation to League 2 and have 9th place in a play off.

7 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

There'll be no interest in that though.  There's no real appetite for reconstruction in itself, as there's not a terribly compelling case which identifies what's wrong with the current set-up.

It really has been all about saving Hearts from relegation, nothing else.  The assumption will be that it's not necessary in a year's time.

28 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Sorry, I thought you'd read my previous post as inferring it was specifically intended to pay for testing. It isn't but I don't think there's any doubt the motiviation for the donation is to underwrite the costs of testing for clubs who otherwise couldn't have afforded it in a month of sundays.

I don't think there's any doubt the intention is to encourage clubs to get back to playing asap. If the virus restrictions ease sooner than expected perhaps a significant amount of the money can be put to other costs apart from testing. As I say, the likelihood of the condition of not spending on payroll being of any concern is very low. Every single clubs in the SPFL will have non payroll costs of at least £50k per annum. That's before we consider testing. It's a pointless condition really. It only has relevance if your non payroll outgoings are less than that. Subsidise payroll directly or subsidise rents, maintenance, kits, travel expenses, medical costs, stewarding, etc, etc makes no odds. If you save it there it's available to underwrite payroll.

Clubs will ultimately have to decide for themselves how risk averse they are in terms of budgeting a team onto the pitch since it seems very likely that we are going to be coming back for a shortened season by October.

Genuine question:  In your view, what then Is the intended point of the "pointless condition"?