Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

24 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Can Anderson etc just give that level of cash away without it being taxed?

What tax did you have in mind?

The clubs will treat it as they  would any other income, and they will have to pay corporation tax on any profit at year end. Probably the least of their worries in the present circs.

20 minutes ago, Stag Nation said:

What tax did you have in mind?

The clubs will treat it as they  would any other income, and they will have to pay corporation tax on any profit at year end. Probably the least of their worries in the present circs.

Was a question of can you just give that amount of money away, no strings attached?

Think he means tax by Anderson. Normally any any ‘weather benefactor’ will put funds in via there company in return for sponsorship or hospitality etc.  It means the club get say a million but it actually only costs the individual far less. 

7 minutes ago, cmontheloknow said:

Was a question of can you just give that amount of money away, no strings attached?

Generally we get taxed on the money we receive, not what we give away. Don't give the Chancellor any ideas!

From what I can remember, you can give any amount of money you like to anyone you want, but if you die within 3 (maybe 5, can't remember off the top of my head) years, then it is classed as part of your estate and subject to tax etc that way (if applicable)...

From what I can remember, you can give any amount of money you like to anyone you want, but if you die within 3 (maybe 5, can't remember off the top of my head) years, then it is classed as part of your estate and subject to tax etc that way (if applicable)...
its upto 7 years n Scotland and its staggered between the number of years between death and when the gift is given.

for example, more tax is due on a payment made a couple of months prior to death than a payment made 5 years before.

4 hours ago, cmontheloknow said:

It'll be a potentially exempt transfer for IHT purposes so if he dies within the next 7 years then part of the sum will be taken into account in determining IHT liability - if it's his own money. That aside, there aren't tax implications for giving money away.

Edit: I see it's been addressed already. ^^

Edited by Pull My Strings

9 hours ago, parsforlife said:

Think he means tax by Anderson. Normally any any ‘weather benefactor’ will put funds in via there company in return for sponsorship or hospitality etc.  It means the club get say a million but it actually only costs the individual far less. 

It would be fairly straightforward for him to sponsor the league in some manner or other using this money, but for the SPFL to pass a resolution altering the prize money structure to ensure that his contribution was evenly split across the clubs.

16 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

its upto 7 years n Scotland and its staggered between the number of years between death and when the gift is given.

for example, more tax is due on a payment made a couple of months prior to death than a payment made 5 years before.

Thank you, I was just about to log off when I read the original post and couldn't be arsed didn't have the time to look it up.

The latest suggestion from Rangers. What a pile of crap

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52941423

FFS

Will the last person out, switch the light off please.

Why don’t we just save all of this nonsense.

Rangers and Celtic play in a 2 team top flight, while everyone else gets down on their knees and prays towards them, honouring them like the gods that they are.

Anyone for cricket?