Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

I don’t understand why some of the free to air broadcasters haven’t entered the scene. Take the BBC, they are struggling to make programmes at the moment due to COVID, why not offer a deal on top of the sky deal for additional live games. Even if these games have to be lower league games. Surely that’s a win-win for both sides?

Sky have exclusive broadcasting rights for the top flight, which is the only league which seems to be guaranteed to start back up. While I think Sky will probably allow clubs to stream games which are behind closed doors, I think they may well have more of an issue with rival broadcasters showing them.

BBC may well continue broadcasting Championship matches as they did last season, but the finances involved are unlikely to be make or break in terms of the league restarting.

1 hour ago, Passionate said:

Big problem is they want to attract viewers not scare them off ffs.

Characteristic of the problem Scotland has selling its game right there.

Our football may not be the best in the world, but Scottish football is fucking great and we should market it as such.

Maybe if the SPFL didn't feed into the 'only the OF is commercially viable' mantra and focused on building and marketing the league over a set number of years we'd be a much more attractive proposal.

Edited by Ludo*1

That's a bit harsh. All I am saying is, the SPFL could argue that if they cover the safety side of things by paying for testing, clubs do not have any excuse not to field a team, be it with amateurs, juniors, youths or part timers. I know it might be shite watch (not like anyone will see it) but about 6 or 7 Championship clubs would all have to do the same, until fans come back and they can buy again in the window.  Another reason why streaming might be able to help clubs in a big way.

Clubs will already have players with contracts that have to be honoured.  Furlough is being scaled down - they still need paid.

The option of using amateurs etc will not be an option for many clubs as they won't be able to pay their existing players.

A rock and a hard place comes to mind.

PPV costs money if you are going to provide even a semi-quality product - I'm just not convinced that PPV is somehow going to plug the funding gap.

57 minutes ago, Flash said:

Full details of how part-time work will fit in will be published on 12 June. This is how I think it works, but clubs will need to look at the detailed guidance when it is published, plus I might be wrong about the stuff that has been published.

I think the basic plan is that if an employee works part-time, the employer pays for those hours and claims the grant for the hours that weren’t worked.  Outline is in the grey box at the top of the page in the link. I think that means if footballers were back playing, they would be doing their normal hours for the club, so there would be no furlough support. I guess from July normal hours would include playing some games, so maybe a partial claim could be made if they are training but not playing. Once they are playing, they are doing their full normal hours, so I imagine there will be no furlough grants to clubs at all from that point.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-for-wage-costs-through-the-coronavirus-job-retention-scheme

The tapering of support is shown on this page.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/chancellor-extends-self-employment-support-scheme-and-confirms-furlough-next-steps

The amount of support is unchanged until the end of July, although employees can do some work from 1 July (which the employer must pay for).

From 1 August, HMRC will stop paying employer’s NI and pension, but still pay 80% of furloughed wages (subject to the £2,500 cap), employer pays wages for time worked.

From 1 September, HMRC will pay 70% of furloughed wages subject to a cap of £2,187, the employer has to pay 10% of furloughed wages, plus all the wage for time worked.

From 1 October, HMRC will pay 60% of furloughed wages subject to a cap of £1,875, the employer pays 20% of furloughed wages, plus all the wage for time worked.

Good info.

I would think it would be in the remit of clubs to reduce training if they are still in need of support but back playing.  If we only trained 2 days a week and 1 game then clubs would still get about 20% of their wage bill payed.  However come Cctober the limit is very low and contributions are probably high enough that clubs might as well be back active.

I do know employers can ask employees to take part in training but that's clearly more aimed at staff keeping their certificates up to date whilst on furlough and not getting ready for match day.  I believe no club has asked players to do any form of training with furloughed players, it would be a risky business. 

1 hour ago, Ludo*1 said:

Characteristic of the problem Scotland has selling its game right there.

Our football may not be the best in the world, but Scottish football is fucking great and we should market it as such.

Maybe if the SPFL didn't feed into the 'only the OF is commercially viable' mantra and focused on building and marketing the league over a set number of years we'd be a much more attractive proposal.

In what ways could the SPFL market its product that would make TV companies pay a credible sum to broadcast lower league football? Be extremely specific. I really don't buy into 'wha's like us' backslapping for Scottish football either, given that only two clubs have won the top flight title in fully 35 years and the entirely obvious decline in quality at this level.

The reality is that broadcasters are fully aware of Scottish football's value in a globalised pool of leagues to show their customers and it is not particularly high for those very good reasons among others.

I’d hope championship clubs (aside from Hearts and Dundee) would be able to have their full quota of crowds present. The infection and death rates are free falling, the 2 metre rule will probably be relaxed to 1 metres by Aug. Have fans wear a mask or their scarf over their face if need be. Don’t open the pie stalls if there’s worries over the size of the queue. 

The SPFL has asked clubs if they would back a 14-team Scottish Premiership for next season and, if not, how might their objections be overcome.

In a letter to clubs in the top two tiers, chief executive Neil Doncaster queried if enlarging the Premiership for five years would be more palatable.

He also asked clubs what other factors should be taken into account around league reconstruction.

Responses have been requested by 17:00 BST on Friday.

Doncaster is also expected to ask similar questions of clubs in Leagues One and Two following their divisional meetings on Wednesday.

The SPFL seem determined to keep Hearts in the top flight I wonder if there is more to this "donation" from the Hearts supporting benefactor than has been publicly announced, it certainly sounds like a stipulation is that Hearts must be in the Premiership.

I can see this passing with a 14 team top league & the current set-up of 3 leagues of 10 below that, too many lower teams currently oppose the 14/14/14 model so the SPFL will amend the proposal to ensure that the teams vote for the 14 team top league.

41 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

The SPFL has asked clubs if they would back a 14-team Scottish Premiership for next season and, if not, how might their objections be overcome.

In a letter to clubs in the top two tiers, chief executive Neil Doncaster queried if enlarging the Premiership for five years would be more palatable.

He also asked clubs what other factors should be taken into account around league reconstruction.

Responses have been requested by 17:00 BST on Friday.

Doncaster is also expected to ask similar questions of clubs in Leagues One and Two following their divisional meetings on Wednesday.

Call their bluff : financial distribution of TV money equally, an end to 11-1 (or 13-1 if it's a top 14, I suppose) voting to stop one-of-you-know-how vetoing all votes, ending pish like the "being able to cancel 1 home league game for a friendly"  and any and all other little things that favour the Bigot Brothers. I'm pretty sure that will bring an end to any ideas for a half-arsed reconstruction job at the moment...

2 hours ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

So the money did have strings attached then? We will be having a 14 team top division by hook or by crook.

The reported "£4.75m" has mysteriously dropped to "£2m", and a question of a 14 team top flight.

I'm sure anyone with half a brain can figure out what's happening.

Guest Ecosse83

Scottish football can't be allowed to be run in this way, I thought it was corrupt after the initial vote but feck me if they allow Hearts to stay up now then they should get the bloomin jail!