Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

52 minutes ago, stu2910 said:

The more I think about the distance between seats the more unlikely it seems.

How many seats would you need in every direction to be 2 metres from everyone? Seats are roughly 40cm wide so maybe 5 empty seats? Plus 5 rows forward and back. If everyone “owns” 3 seats to one side and 2 the other. 3 rows in front and 2 behind, you’ve got one person in a grid of 36 seats.

Dens would have a capacity of roughly 329 and a chunk of that would be taken up by officials and stewards.

That’s clearly all based on little in depth thought, but with a crowd that low I’m not sure what the point is in going to the effort of having fans in at all, before you even get on to toilets etc.

There was some research on this a few weeks ago I read and the general thinking was that under social distancing Ibrox for instance would have a capacity of about 5,000. Not sure it would be as simple as 10% or so across the board, it's bound to be different for clubs with terracing for a start, but as a rough starting point I imagine 10% if 2m remains in place is a fair guess,

33 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

You can also factor in same household groups of fans sitting together, which would bump the crowd up a bit, still fine margins to be running at though.

We did this debate in the Ayr thread last week, whilst that's potentially true, they are going to have to set ground capacity limits by calculation and it's not going to change because Mr & Mrs Smith turn up with their three kids on the day. 

In practice capacities will be set by Councils on the assumption that supporters are all unrelated.

Except that in the 1980s the concept of league splits and/or playoffs were anathema to Scottish football: a trait that you can still easily find among dinosaurs of the game and old boomer fans today. 

The 14 team leagues being proposed in 2020 are not the same as the 39 game season nonsense under the old SFL, so should be judged on their own merits/faults alone.

Just now, Skyline Drifter said:

We did this debate in the Ayr thread last week, whilst that's potentially true, they are going to have to set ground capacity limits by calculation and it's not going to change because Mr & Mrs Smith turn up with their three kids on the day. 

In practice capacities will be set by Councils on the assumption that supporters are all unrelated.

That's a good point, in theory the only way around that would be for the clubs to lay out a plan based around season ticket holders on their system who share a household and have seats beside each other. Although records the club hold won't always be accurate eg one fan can purchase a group of season tickets for family, have them all at the same address, when in reality they don't all live together. Again though, this would obviously have to be agreed with local authorities.

3 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

That's a good point, in theory the only way around that would be for the clubs to lay out a plan based around season ticket holders on their system who share a household and have seats beside each other. Although records the club hold won't always be accurate eg one fan can purchase a group of season tickets for family, have them all at the same address, when in reality they don't all live together. Again though, this would obviously have to be agreed with local authorities.

The information at most clubs now have addresses of all ticket holders , but as Skyline drifter mentioned I think it would only be possible to set capacities based on individual entry , I would say it would be between 10/20% based on ground layout , the less seats the easier I would think , by the time the league restarts I would think the social distance would be nearer 1 metre , in the area of my place in Spain it is already down to 1 metre social distancing 

5 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The information at most clubs now have addresses of all ticket holders , but as Skyline drifter mentioned I think it would only be possible to set capacities based on individual entry , I would say it would be between 10/20% based on ground layout , the less seats the easier I would think , by the time the league restarts I would think the social distance would be nearer 1 metre , in the area of my place in Spain it is already down to 1 metre social distancing 

I suspect you are right. They are already talking about relaxing 2m rule for work if other mitigation is in place (ie. face masks/coverings). I would have thought a similar approach could be taken to football if it were purely risk based.

59 minutes ago, virginton said:

Except that in the 1980s the concept of league splits and/or playoffs were anathema to Scottish football: a trait that you can still easily find among dinosaurs of the game and old boomer fans today. 

The 14 team leagues being proposed in 2020 are not the same as the 39 game season nonsense under the old SFL, so should be judged on their own merits/faults alone.

A partly fair point but only addresses the problem in the top half of the two lower divisions. Playoffs change nothing in regards to ghe meaninglessness of games in the lower halves of tables really nor for the top end of the Premier.

43 minutes ago, Robbo63 said:

The information at most clubs now have addresses of all ticket holders

We  will have an address for everyone but wouldnt be a bit surprised if as Dee Funked says a number of them, particularly family, are registered at one address but dont necessarily live there, particularly if they had them from childhood and keep dolling details forward as its still the family home even though they grew up and went off to college / rent their own place, etc. We dont ask for proof of a current address.

Also people might move out during a season. A lot of it would need self policed, as things like garden visits now do.

52 minutes ago, Dee-funked said:

I dont think its practical for clubs to try to fit social distancing round family groups. It would screw up spacing across a stand. They would set usable seats and then famies book with everyone else (& potentially prove same household to stewards on the day and sit closer to one another if its practical). 

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Astonishing stuff on Sportsound just now. Interview with Budge where she says that she has philanthropists ready to pump multi millions into Scottish Football, especially the lower leagues, with no catches (won’t save  Hearts, Thistle or Stranraer) She approached SPFL and was told to do a paper!! Doncaster getting flamed. Money is ready to go into clubs accounts now and they are being told to put in a paper. You couldn’t make it up. 

2 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

Astonishing stuff on Sportsound just now. Interview with Budge where she says that she has philanthropists ready to pump multi millions into Scottish Football, especially the lower leagues, with no catches (won’t save  Hearts, Thistle or Stranraer) She approached SPFL and was told to do a paper!! Doncaster getting flamed. Money is ready to go into clubs accounts now and they are being told to put in a paper. You couldn’t make it up. 

Surely there are legal and ethical questions about it though? Possibly contractual issues with league sponsors?

I cant imagine the SPFL or SFA can just accept large amounts of money without assurances of where the money comes from (i.e. making sure its not illegally earned money).

Obviosuly any money coming in would be great, but there are usually catches to these things. Makes sense the SPFL/SFA wouldnt just take the money and run with it without needing some due diligence.

There's also the Ann Budge clusterfuck factor which should send alarm bells ringing.

7 minutes ago, Sting777 said:

I'm not listening at the moment but where were Ann Budge and her philanthropic pals 3 months ago? 

Still, its not about saving Hearts though......... 🙄

I'm not listening at the moment but where were Ann Budge and her philanthropic pals 3 months ago? 

Still, its not about saving Hearts though......... 🙄

You need to listen to it. Everyone on their panel is astonished!

Just now, Sting777 said:

You need to listen to it. Everyone on their panel is astonished!

I will listen when and if I get a chance. On childcare at the moment. The point stands though. If Ann Budge has access to philanthropic donations / sponsorship in multi millions why is she only coming forward with it now and not months ago or even last week. And not when its only at the same time as last ditch self serving "Hearts must be saved for the good of Scottish football" proposals. 

Perhaps its an enormous coincidence. Or perhaps not....

3 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Surely there are legal and ethical questions about it though? Possibly contractual issues with league sponsors?

I cant imagine the SPFL or SFA can just accept large amounts of money without assurances of where the money comes from (i.e. making sure its not illegally earned money).

Obviosuly any money coming in would be great, but there are usually catches to these things. Makes sense the SPFL/SFA wouldnt just take the money and run with it without needing some due diligence.

Who knows!!  It’s on record now so she can’t deny she said it. Everyone in today’s panel can’t believe she has been asked to do a paper when the money is ready to be distributed now.  It was made clear that this action would not save Hearts, Thistle or Stranraer from the drop.

I will listen when and if I get a chance. On childcare at the moment. The point stands though. If Ann Budge has access to philanthropic donations / sponsorship in multi millions why is she only coming forward with it now and not months ago or even last week. And not when its only at the same time as last ditch self serving "Hearts must be saved for the good of Scottish football" proposals. 

Perhaps its an enormous coincidence. Or perhaps not....

Maybe it’s just happened in the last week or so. It was stated that these are very rich supporters of Scottish Football who are worried about the future of the game in this country and want to help out. Aberdeen chairman was advised about it on Wednesday. Doncaster was asked to come on the programme to discuss but refused!!