Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52797428

Used to quite like Strachan, but he is monstrously out of touch with Scottish football with attitudes like this. Thank f**k he's nowhere near the Scotland job anymore.

Having a go at part time teams for trying to play and survive in the professional leagues and the general product on show even in the Premiership is proper English pundit shite. Scottish football might not have the best players, the most money or the biggest fan bases, but f**k me its's constantly entertaining on almost every level. Give me the nonsense of Scottish football over the soulless English Premier League any day of the week. 

Used to quite like Strachan, but he is monstrously out of touch with Scottish football with attitudes like this. Thank f**k he's nowhere near the Scotland job anymore.
Having a go at part time teams for trying to play and survive in the professional leagues and the general product on show even in the Premiership is proper English pundit shite. Scottish football might not have the best players, the most money or the biggest fan bases, but f**k me its's constantly entertaining on almost every level. Give me the nonsense of Scottish football over the soulless English Premier League any day of the week. 

I agree with you in his comments here being stupid and he clearly is out of touch especially with the lower leagues but I wouldn’t equate that to his management of the national team. We’ve gone backwards since he left.

1 minute ago, D'Jaffo said:

I agree with you in his comments here being stupid and he clearly is out of touch especially with the lower leagues but I wouldn’t equate that to his management of the national team. We’ve gone backwards since he left.

We certainly have.

But for what its worth, my opinion was that sacking Strachan was correct at the time due to some of his media comments that were nothing short of fake excuses of a guy who blamed everyone but himself. The worst being about Scotland's genetics holding us back and when he was a pundit at Euro 2016 and kept saying the reason we didn't qualify was we didn't have a Gareth Bale, despite the fact that many of the teams that qualified (Northern Ireland, Iceland, Hungary, Albania, etc.) didn't either. 

The reason we went backwards was the ridiculous decision to hire Alex McLeish as his successor.

We certainly have.
But for what its worth, my opinion was that sacking Strachan was correct at the time due to some of his media comments that were nothing short of fake excuses of a guy who blamed everyone but himself. The worst being about Scotland's genetics holding us back and when he was a pundit at Euro 2016 and kept saying the reason we didn't qualify was we didn't have a Gareth Bale, despite the fact that many of the teams that qualified (Northern Ireland, Iceland, Hungary, Albania, etc.) didn't either. 
The reason we went backwards was the ridiculous decision to hire Alex McLeish as his successor.

Whether or not you agree with his comments or excuses (I certainly didn’t) I don’t think it was the right decision to sack him. He got the closest we’d been in ages to the playoffs.

However I do agree that the entire recruitment shambles after he left is a considerable factor in where we are now.

4 hours ago, Jacky1990 said:

Going by Strachan's rationale, on leaving Celtic, Andy Robertson would now be working in a warehouse somewhere in Glasgow and watching the Champions League final in the house with some cans of Tennents and a Domino's pizza. Teams now above Dundee in the pyramid would still be playing Highland League and Lawrence Shankland wouldn't be scoring goals regularly against Dundee and making international squads as a Championship player.

All of the above are exactly the reason why Strachan, Budge and whoever else wants to kill off clubs further down the Leagues need called out, voted against and ultimately told where to go at every opportunity. Its not all about the size of crowds, bank balance or number of trophies (wfaanw). Its far more important than that.

Its our national game and as long as clubs live within their means I sincerely hope every single one of them, and more, continue to contribute to this great game that impacts lifes from week to week and has the power to shape communities for the greater good, not many pursuits or industries can have that effect. Our communities need this positivity more than ever and collectively so does the country.

Dundee board meetings with the likes of Strachan and Nelms must be great fun and as an extension the thought of expanding the lower leagues for Lowland or Highland league teams must be further away than ever.

Part time teams can raise their standards to unbelievable heights and you could argue they have to if they want to compete as well as they do. The likes of Arbroath and Alloa in the Championship have proven that and will continue to do so. 

If by Herr Strachans' plan of attack and they were in some Central / East Coast Part Time League then the likes of Tam O'Brien and Kevin O'Hara, or whoever their star players were at that time, would simply be going through the motions at training and in games because they knew they didn't have to do any more. Its human nature. 

Strachan coming across like your old uncle who once knew his onions and just wants to be heard now for the sake of it. 

Edited by BukyOHare

Strachan said the exact same about 8 years ago, FWIW.

Back then he wanted one division of full time clubs, with no relegation or promotion.

10 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Strachan said the exact same about 8 years ago, FWIW.

Back then he wanted one division of full time clubs, with no relegation or promotion.

It's such a mental take on Scottish football, especially when our one genuinely world class player came from Queens Park!

Proper Daily Record phone in pish.

Phew, thank God Dundee have taken the minter baton back from ICT after some our public statements recently. Cheers Gordon (you fucking whopper).

10 hours ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Kheredine Idessane on Twitter - 

Away from Downing St, am told the @spfl  Championship meeting discussed starting Scotland’s 2nd tier in Oct but clubs want comfort from @scotgov  (Fri) that stadia will be able to reopen with 1/3rd capacity by Jan (eg 6-7000 @JamTarts ) to finance completion of 18 or 27 game season

Championship clubs average crowds... 

_20200526_090735.JPG

Edited by SUPERSOUTH

On 24/05/2020 at 19:41, Crawford said:

A return to "local heroes" football might just be the best thing to come out of this. Fat Derek the cabbie in goal and Butcher Mick up front 😂

We already tried this with Si Murray :thumbsdown

Oh and Cammy Kerr :angry:

Edited by Boo Khaki

1 hour ago, SUPERSOUTH said:

Championship clubs average crowds... 

_20200526_090735.JPG

I see what hes doing but the idea that social distancing can work just based on capacity v avg crowd is pretty simplistic.

Palmerston is the most obvious example of getting it to work, but anyone whos been in a c1000 crowd there will no how difficult social distancing when trying to leave the ground is. Or queuing for pie in the Main Stand!

Edited by Mr X

3 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I see what hes doing but the idea that social distancing can work just based on capacity v avg crowd is pretty simplistic.

Palmerston is the most obvious example of getting it to work, but anyone whos been in a c1000 crowd there will no how difficult social distancing when trying to leave the ground is. Or queuing for pie in the Main Stand!

Can see the 2m rule reduced to 1m by then and if fans were to wear face coverings as in shops this could be done. 

Not sure the Raith capacity is correct. It might well be the official capacity but loads of seats missing along Railway side and bottom of away end which probably shouldn’t be factored in to any revised social distancing capacity 

9 minutes ago, Mr X said:

I reckon it would be worse getting into the grounds than leaving, tbh. People aren't going to start showing up in a regular steady flow from say 45 minutes before kickoff, that just won't happen. There's also the issue of squeezing past people in the stands to get to a seat, or to get out to go to the toilet, or to be first in the halftime pie queue.

7 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I reckon it would be worse getting into the grounds than leaving, tbh. People aren't going to start showing up in a regular steady flow from say 45 minutes before kickoff, that just won't happen. There's also the issue of squeezing past people in the stands to get to a seat, or to get out to go to the toilet, or to be first in the halftime pie queue.

Yes, they are all issues too.

I just didnt want anyone making fun of Queens if I claimed there was queues to get into the ground :( :lol:

23 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Except that people have already been queueing to get into supermarkets etc. for weeks with distancing restrictions in place. The actual process of going through the gate isn't any slower than it normally is. Of all the supposed stumbling blocks to choose then, trust you to find the dumbest one and run with it. 

There's negligible risk of contagion from reaching your seat or a pie queue in the same way that a jogger passing within two metres of someone in the street is not actually a credible threat. The serious issues are ensuring sufficient hygiene measures are in place for common facilities like the toilets as well as sufficient space and protective measures for players, officials and club staff. Both of which would pose major problems for Cappielow right now.

Those will remain obstacles even after the UK government and then SG in turn water down and ultimately remove their social distancing requirements. 

Edited by vikingTON