Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

1 hour ago, Ecosse83 said:

Clubs should be asked if they want to take part next season, those that can't do it should be safeguarded financially somehow (no idea how/if that's possible). Then try and work out a structure with those that said yes.

Falkirk already have a pretty decent Falkirk TV in place so we could possibly make an ok go at it. Our chairman thinks we can anyway!

Falkirk would manage this no bother.

You must get 8,000+ fans per week?

#kingsofcrowdwanking

Guest Ecosse83
4 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

Falkirk would manage this no bother.

You must get 8,000+ fans per week?

#kingsofcrowdwanking

9,000 mate! 

Edited by Ecosse83

1 hour ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Only if it's run silently. Those appalling commentators of yours give even some of you own fans the boak.

I quite like them.

"Tom Beadling once again has the run of Falkirk Stadium" 😂

Guest Ecosse83
9 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

I quite like them.

"Tom Beadling once again has the run of Falkirk Stadium" 😂

Sssh I've blocked some stuff like that out of my mind 🤣

4 hours ago, DA Baracus said:

What economics? The top league only get some more TV money and competition money. Is that increase enough to mitigate loses? I don't think it would come close. It's probably even more unaffordable to play in empty stadiums in the Premiership for Dunfermline. For a start we'd need to sign up some players. What would we pay them with? The players signed would need to be of a higher quality too unless we want to be pumped every single week, so that means paying more in wages.

But again, how would these wages be paid?

A hell of a lot more prize money (link below has numbers).  I understand reservations about live streaming but the market for the Pars v Hibs is rather different to Pars v Queens.

I get the concern that clubs could easily bleed to death if we are not careful.  However, there are different risks with declining the option if it is there.  The furlough changes mean that clubs have to start picking up part of the wage for players and non-playing staff from August and (probably) all of it from November.  That money has to come from somewhere too.

If the option is there (and I'm sceptical) it will depend in part on the current view of when crowds may return with social distancing, and when they might return in full.  

I think fans of clubs may have to find ways of providing life support to their cubs for quite a while - lots of examples of that around already.  

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-prize-money-available-your-21866037

4 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

And what's your reasoning in missing out most of the Championship and going straight down to Partick and Falkirk? 😳

Back of a fag packet speculation about who would be up for it, based on comments from directors, reports of squad sizes and chat on here.  Nothing terribly scientific and sadly I'm not important enough to be 'in the know'.

2 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

A hell of a lot more prize money (link below has numbers).  I understand reservations about live streaming but the market for the Pars v Hibs is rather different to Pars v Queens.

I get the concern that clubs could easily bleed to death if we are not careful.  However, there are different risks with declining the option if it is there.  The furlough changes mean that clubs have to start picking up part of the wage for players and non-playing staff from August and (probably) all of it from November.  That money has to come from somewhere too.

If the option is there (and I'm sceptical) it will depend in part on the current view of when crowds may return with social distancing, and when they might return in full.  

I think fans of clubs may have to find ways of providing life support to their cubs for quite a while - lots of examples of that around already.  

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/spfl-prize-money-available-your-21866037

More prize money but still nowhere near enough to make this financial feasible.

Keep hearing it's not financially viable to play without fans but you'll also be just as, if not more, skint if you dont play at all. We'll need to find a way at this level.

19 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

Keep hearing it's not financially viable to play without fans but you'll also be just as, if not more, skint if you dont play at all. We'll need to find a way at this level.

Guess it comes down to whats worse.  Having limited expenditure on wages with no income.  Or having some income with far more costs.

6 hours ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

And what's your reasoning in missing out most of the Championship and going straight down to Partick and Falkirk? 😳

To create the crowdwank league of course.

There's a nice irony in the idea.

36 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:

No you wouldn't because you can keep the squad and other club staff on furlough through October, with the racing certainty of more government support to sustain sectors of the economy like football that cannot resume in the event of its shan restrictions remaining in place after that point.

There's no need then for mid-sized Championship clubs to commit themselves to a plan to start next season, despite Budge's utter desperation to make them do so right now to show Why Hearts Must Be Saved.

I keep hearing about extensions to the Furlough scheme and wonder just how the hell we're actually going to pay for it when all the posturing and political points scoring is said and done?

We weren't exactly cash rich pre covid. The future is far from bright financially and that could very well be an additional factor that clubs should be worrying about. 

3 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

That's because it's a fact at our level, without huge TV contracts and sponsorship deals to subsidise us.

Speaking of sponsors, the economic climate is soon going to be very different and I doubt many, if any, will have excess cash to throw around. It's a guarantee that marketing and advertising budgets will be among the first to go.

Over and above this, it's a fair shout that all of our clubs will have an increase of their fans being made unemployed, so there will be less cash going around generally, irrespective of attending in person or via a PPV TV stream.

There's going to be difficult times ahead, whatever happens.

4 hours ago, Rob1885 said:

Not playing doesn't cost anything, if players are furlough or released. You should therefore not lose money.

If you do play and don't cover costs, you lose money.

Not playing doesn't cost anything, if players are furlough or released. You should therefore not lose money.
Releasing players with a year left of their contract costs money.

16 minutes ago, Rob1885 said:
25 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Releasing players with a year left of their contract costs money.

They'll be furloughed until October if there's no games. If games are played they'll  need supplemented with additional players. Income during closed doors games won't meet expenses, they'll lose money quicker by playing.

1 hour ago, WATTOO said:

That's because it's a fact at our level, without huge TV contracts and sponsorship deals to subsidise us.

Speaking of sponsors, the economic climate is soon going to be very different and I doubt many, if any, will have excess cash to throw around. It's a guarantee that marketing and advertising budgets will be among the first to go.

Over and above this, it's a fair shout that all of our clubs will have an increase of their fans being made unemployed, so there will be less cash going around generally, irrespective of attending in person or via a PPV TV stream.

There's going to be difficult times ahead, whatever happens.

It at least force clubs to spend within thier means in future seasons.

giphy-3.gif

Kheredine Idessane on Twitter - 

Away from Downing St, am told the @spfl  Championship meeting discussed starting Scotland’s 2nd tier in Oct but clubs want comfort from @scotgov  (Fri) that stadia will be able to reopen with 1/3rd capacity by Jan (eg 6-7000 @JamTarts ) to finance completion of 18 or 27 game season