Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

12 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

What a sad state of affairs that everything hinges on 4 old firm games a season. 😠

I love the way the whole thing is written.  Like there's this "doomsday" scecnario they're planning, it's clearly awful, it's really bad, guys, honest.  But wait, WAIT...there's still 4 Old Firm games.  Don't worry, guys.  It'll be ok.  It'll be ok as long as we have those games.

Guest Flash

If football is going ahead, why would it be better for some clubs to be mothballed rather than just sign amateur players?  Would the teams come back into the league at the same place they left? If so, what would be gained from by the teams who played?

Imo, you either mothball everybody, or everybody plays with the squads they can afford. Even with no crowds (which might not be season long) there would still be tv money, presumably. So, clubs wouldn’t be operating with no income. It is some the players who might need to be mothballed, not the clubs.

Real lack of ambition on display from the SPFL. They could squeeze in at least another couple of Celtgers games by adopting a two-legged play-off for the title after the split.

17 minutes ago, AyrExile said:

Oofft. Will Dundee be getting their reward after putting Thistle and Falkirk to sleep? 

Not sure how one 16 team league can fly.  Surely only a runner if there are precisely 16 teams who are prepared to start behind closed doors.  12 in the Premiership, Hearts, ICT, Dundee, Partick and Falkirk makes 17, and the economics of being in the top league would surely ensure that at least Dunfermline amongst the others would apply?  I suppose they could start with the top 16 based on last year's standings, with those below team 16 being on a waiting list?  That might well change Ayr's view too.  

8 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

Not sure how one 16 team league can fly.  Surely only a runner if there are precisely 16 teams who are prepared to start behind closed doors.  12 in the Premiership, Hearts, ICT, Dundee, Partick and Falkirk makes 17, and the economics of being in the top league would surely ensure that at least Dunfermline amongst the others would apply?  I suppose they could start with the top 16 based on last year's standings, with those below team 16 being on a waiting list?  That might well change Ayr's view too.  

What economics? The top league only get some more TV money and competition money. Is that increase enough to mitigate loses? I don't think it would come close. It's probably even more unaffordable to play in empty stadiums in the Premiership for Dunfermline. For a start we'd need to sign up some players. What would we pay them with? The players signed would need to be of a higher quality too unless we want to be pumped every single week, so that means paying more in wages.

But again, how would these wages be paid?

22 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

ICT wouldn't be able to afford it, I'd reckon. 

It's a no go from me anyway. They had their chance at reconstruction and fucked it off. 

Guest Ecosse83

Clubs should be asked if they want to take part next season, those that can't do it should be safeguarded financially somehow (no idea how/if that's possible). Then try and work out a structure with those that said yes.

Falkirk already have a pretty decent Falkirk TV in place so we could possibly make an ok go at it. Our chairman thinks we can anyway!

Edited by Ecosse83

32 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

What economics? The top league only get some more TV money and competition money. Is that increase enough to mitigate loses? I don't think it would come close. It's probably even more unaffordable to play in empty stadiums in the Premiership for Dunfermline. For a start we'd need to sign up some players. What would we pay them with? The players signed would need to be of a higher quality too unless we want to be pumped every single week, so that means paying more in wages.

But again, how would these wages be paid?

If Dunfermline aren't competing in any organised football next season, there's 10 players signed up who the club are responsible for. You may be able to shift one or two but there are going to be so many out of contract players in the market. Hibernation would suspend future prize money completely, a few part timers in would likely be far less of a loss if it kept the club going, even if it was to get humped every week.

I'm half wondering if the whole of Scottish Football might newco.

17 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Clubs should be asked if they want to take part next season, those that can't do it should be safeguarded financially somehow (no idea how/if that's possible). Then try and work out a structure with those that said yes.

Falkirk already have a pretty decent Falkirk TV in place so we could possibly make an ok go at it. Our chairman thinks we can anyway!

Nice try but you're staying in the seaside leagues where you belong.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Guest Ecosse83
1 minute ago, virginton said:

Nice try but you're staying in the seaside leagues where you belong.

A82C2CD1-48C9-41B5-9D28-A9E9CE8E0FD2.jpeg.d3be676db1ccf3317445a35c285ddeed.jpeg

Clever reply 👏

You better have a lie down now!

29 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Me, me, me, don't forget me, what about me, me, me!

48 minutes ago, Ecosse83 said:

Only if it's run silently. Those appalling commentators of yours give even some of you own fans the boak.

Guest Ecosse83
Just now, Rudolph Hucker said:

Only if it's run silently. Those appalling commentators of yours give even some of you own fans the boak.

Yes there not great but it could be worse we could have the Rangers commentators 🙈

Guest Ecosse83
22 minutes ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Me, me, me, don't forget me, what about me, me, me!

Yes giving everyone a choice is so bad 🤣