Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

6 minutes ago, Spring Onion said:

So you spoke to yourself whilst reading an interview.  The old quote  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Springs to mind.

I never speak to myself dude. But it's good to talk 

18 minutes ago, Ad Lib said:

Classic P&B.

Damned if you don’t breach the confidence of a source; damned if you do.

If you can read not all people can sadly. The facts are clear and transparent the way forward is open to all not just a Few

Over the coming weeks you will see more and more clubs say there struggling 100%

And don't forget the 500/600 players without a club come July time tough time ahead 

Edited by weetoonlad

13 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

I wondered about this, sort of. I was wondering if you could effectively re-contract all the players to an "admin role" and continue to pay them on furlough. I presume that wouldn't be allowed as it's a change of role, and not a genuine one, but I don't know for sure. 

Effectively what you are suggesting is a cleverer version by re-contracting the players to playing contracts BUT NOT REGISTERING THEM. I suppose that's conceivably possible although possibly also a breach of the scheme in that in reality they can't BE players if they aren't registered as such. Also not sure where you'd stand if you then ended these "unregistered contracts" early because restrictions were lifted. You'd need some legal advice. The player's union should be looking into stuff like this. An awful lot of their members have this situation coming up in the next 4 or 5 weeks. I imagine a lot of League One and League Two players may be out of contract in mid-May.

As I've posted before, the minimum length of a registered playing contract is to the first day of the next window. So you can renew a playing contract due to run out shortly ONCE on a short term basis. As long as they sign it before 9th June and before their present one runs out then it can run to any day you like after 9th June. But the first time they need recontracted after 9th June it has to run to 1st January.

So you could give players an extra month to say the end of June which is when furlough runs to right now but if furlough is extended (and lets face it we're not going to be back in action for 1st July) then the player at that point either goes unemployed or you have to sign him through to January.

Of course you could give him a contract through to say mid August now but then we end up getting back earlier than anticipated, furlough is dropped at the end of June and you are left paying in full a player you maybe don't intend to retain for an extra two months. Or we don't get back but the furlough scheme is discontinued and you have to pay him to sit still. I doubt many clubs will take those risks.

100% correct that's when clubs will really struggle 

You can't ask players to sign on till July then not pay them 

Edited by weetoonlad

21 minutes ago, weetoonlad said:

100% correct that's when clubs will really struggle 

You can't ask players to sign on till July then not pay them 

I can live without valediction from a professional fantasist to be honest. Away and make up some nonsense about some other club.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

Apologies if covered already in the thread, but I have a couple of questions about options for clubs.  Best to start with what I think are reasonable assumptions.

• Playing behind closed doors won't happen, at least outside the top league.  Economics of this covered at length already.
  • It follows that there is no guarantee that the other leagues will start until at least October (and that is probably being optimistic, it could easily be Q1 2021).
  • There will come a point when the furlough scheme comes to an end, or at best payments are reduced.  It must be likely that that will happen before football resumes.

Unless there are real positive developments in the next few weeks I wouldn't expect clubs to renew contracts which are due to expire at the end of May/early June.  My questions are about how clubs deal with players who are still under contract.

The article below refers to 'clause 12', but it is quite old.  I hadn't heard that clubs had been provided with a template letter "reserving their rights in respect of the clause".  So my questions are - 

1.  Has anyone seen anything more recent about the enforceability of clause 12?  For example, are PFA Scotland challenging the SPFL view?

2.  Does anyone know how redundancy fits in to the picture?  If your job is to play football and there is no firm date for when you can do your job then your employer can presumably make you redundant.  That might be even less attractive that a suspension of contract under clause 12.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/1242049/scottish-clubs-are-prepared-to-invoke-clause-12-if-players-dont-agree-to-pay-cuts-and-deferrals/

10 minutes ago, Parttimesupporter said:

The article below refers to 'clause 12', but it is quite old.  I hadn't heard that clubs had been provided with a template letter "reserving their rights in respect of the clause".  So my questions are - 

1.  Has anyone seen anything more recent about the enforceability of clause 12?  For example, are PFA Scotland challenging the SPFL view?

2.  Does anyone know how redundancy fits in to the picture?  If your job is to play football and there is no firm date for when you can do your job then your employer can presumably make you redundant.  That might be even less attractive that a suspension of contract under clause 12.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/1242049/scottish-clubs-are-prepared-to-invoke-clause-12-if-players-dont-agree-to-pay-cuts-and-deferrals/

I don't think any of them actually stated it but it sounded as though a good few of the chairs who voted to end the season did have invoking clause 12 in mind when they said there were reasons,  apart from the cash payout, for voting the way they did.

2 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Read learn listen you will go places 

2 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

Spring Onion read all the posts you will then understand. 

SPFL are working hard for all clubs not just a Few 

1 hour ago, weetoonlad said:

If you can read not all people can sadly. The facts are clear and transparent the way forward is open to all not just a Few

Over the coming weeks you will see more and more clubs say there struggling 100%

And don't forget the 500/600 players without a club come July time tough time ahead 

I may have said this before, but if you read his posts in the style of the little guy below they become considerably less annoying

image.jpeg.b61c7401d8dd099d217368d7aa01caa2.jpeg

32 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

I may have said this before, but if you read his posts in the style of the little guy below they become considerably less annoying

image.jpeg.b61c7401d8dd099d217368d7aa01caa2.jpeg

The little guy is considerably brighter though.

The rubber puppet I mean, not just the fictional several hundred year old jedi master character.

3 hours ago, weetoonlad said:

I’m not really sure why you red dotted me but okay.

That ship sailed a long time ago.

So you spoke to yourself whilst reading an interview.  The old quote  "Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and to remove all doubt." Springs to mind.