Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

Just now, SandyCromarty said:

Anyone cancelled their Sky sub since the start of the virus?

Paused mine, you get the channels for free until they decide the sports are back on. Takes seconds online.

The issue is the Clubs cannot unilaterally extend a contract (or for that matter vice versa) unless the original contract has some sort of option clause. ETA: and the furlough scheme only gives players the lower of 80% of their wages and £2500 a month. I’d imagine that means cutting the wages of most players in the Premiership and quite a few in the Championship by more than 20%. And that assumes their contract isn’t heavily bonus based either. 

Clubs can still renew player contracts and keep them furloughed - that may be an option fof some clubs who would have retained the player in any case.

This from a leading employment law firm:

"Originally the guidance did not cover this issue. However, the purpose of the scheme is to keep people in paid employment and reduce the level of redundancies. The expiry and non-renewal of a fixed term contract amounts to a dismissal for statutory purposes. The guidance now makes clear that employees on fixed term contracts can be furloughed. Their contracts can be renewed or extended during the furlough period without breaking the terms of the scheme."

Temporary reconstruction for a season would be absolutely stupid and I don't know what benefit there could be to any clubs other than those who would immediately benefit, i.e. Hearts, Inverness, Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer, Edinburgh City. I'm not in favour of reconstruction at all, but if it is to happen then it should be done properly, not rushed through in an attempt to artificially keep one of the bigger clubs in the top division.

A top division of 14 with the current prize money distribution does not seem workable - it would mean prize money for 13th would be half what it would be for 12th, so I don't see teams who could reasonably expect to finish bottom half of top division accepting that. Uncertainty in income for the season would just be too much. If installments are still paid during the season based on bottom place, it would also mean these installments would be much lower for all clubs in the top division. To make a change with 75% majority, prize money distribution cannot be changed.

To change prize money distribution or bring extra teams into the league needs 11 of the top division to back it and 75% of all clubs. I can't see that happening given the entire basis of it seems to be keeping Hearts up with no real benefit to the game generally.

Temporary reconstruction for a season would be absolutely stupid and I don't know what benefit there could be to any clubs other than those who would immediately benefit, i.e. Hearts, Inverness, Partick, Falkirk, Stranraer, Edinburgh City. I'm not in favour of reconstruction at all, but if it is to happen then it should be done properly, not rushed through in an attempt to artificially keep one of the bigger clubs in the top division.
A top division of 14 with the current prize money distribution does not seem workable - it would mean prize money for 13th would be half what it would be for 12th, so I don't see teams who could reasonably expect to finish bottom half of top division accepting that. Uncertainty in income for the season would just be too much. If installments are still paid during the season based on bottom place, it would also mean these installments would be much lower for all clubs in the top division. To make a change with 75% majority, prize money distribution cannot be changed.
To change prize money distribution or bring extra teams into the league needs 11 of the top division to back it and 75% of all clubs. I can't see that happening given the entire basis of it seems to be keeping Hearts up with no real benefit to the game generally.

The team that finishes 13th currently gets half of what 12th gets but with smaller gates throughout the season. Also the club that finishes 12th gets relegated currently.

1 minute ago, theundisputedvoiceofreason said:

Premier League clubs shouldn't be relegated if season isn't completed - Brighton owner - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/52339058

Yeah, I saw that. Why only Premier though, why not the rest, I wonder?

9 minutes ago, Fifespud said:

The team that finishes 13th currently gets half of what 12th gets but with smaller gates throughout the season. Also the club that finishes 12th gets relegated currently.

Aye, but clubs budget at the start of the season based on their likely income. At the moment, all teams in the top league know they can expect a bit more than £1M, maybe a bit more than that if they do well, so they budget for the season based on that. If they know that they can expect 500k but would get £1M if they finished outside the bottom 2 places it changes things massively and makes budgeting almost impossible.

Falkirk fans taking things well.

By which I mean they are not. A sad wee group of them have sprinted to The Sun, tears absolutely streaming down their face, to grass in John McGlynn for apparently breaching furlough because he was on the radio yesterday discussing his plans for the new season.

Then there's a load of them, tears pouring down angry wee red faces, screaming and bawling about how they're going to boycott away games next season and how this will massively damage other clubs because Falkirk are a huge club who are pretty much keeping the rest of the league afloat with their gargantuan away crowds.

3 minutes ago, DA Baracus said:

Falkirk fans taking things well.

By which I mean they are not. A sad wee group of them have sprinted to The Sun, tears absolutely streaming down their face, to grass in John McGlynn for apparently breaching furlough because he was on the radio yesterday discussing his plans for the new season.

Then there's a load of them, tears pouring down angry wee red faces, screaming and bawling about how they're going to boycott away games next season and how this will massively damage other clubs because Falkirk are a huge club who are pretty much keeping the rest of the league afloat with their gargantuan away crowds.

Partick fans also saying they will boycott. The absolute state some people have got themselves into. 

Imo I think The top div will go  to 16 with Dundee utd Inverness Ayr and Dundee taking the places 

Championship of 12

Div 1 of 12

Div 2 of 12

Thats why Dundee changed the vote to yes with the understanding a 16 top div will go ahead 

Some might say bonkers with not 4 old firm games but look below 

Celtic vs Rangers 

Hearts vs Hibs

Dundee Utd vs Dundee

Ross County vs Ict 

All sell out Derby games 

Play each other twice 32 league games top div 

All all the Cup games takes an average season up to approx 40/44 games 

If you team is successful in Europe that might mean 50/55 approx 

Let's go for it we need change Now 

Edited by weetoonlad

Imo I think The top div will go  to 16 with Dundee utd Inverness Ayr and Dundee taking the places 
Championship of 12
Div 1 of 12
Div 2 of 12
Thats why Dundee changed the vote to yes with the understanding a 16 top div will go ahead 
Some might say bonkers with not 4 old firm games but look below 
Celtic vs Rangers 
Hearts vs Hibs
Dundee Utd vs Dundee
Ross County vs Ict 
All sell out Derby games 
Play each other twice 32 league games top div 

All all the Cup games takes an average season up to approx 40/44 games 
If you team is successful in Europe that might mean 50/55 approx 
Let's go for it we need change Now 

Whatever option/options are looked at, they need to also consider different scenarios depending on when we actually get back to playing.

29 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Because what the Football League do is nothing to do with Brighton?

Doesn't prevent him aving an opinion about it though. Like, for example Ann Budge having opinions on our lower leagues (and being more than happy to share them). 

9 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

Doesn't prevent him aving an opinion about it though. Like, for example Ann Budge having opinions on our lower leagues (and being more than happy to share them). 

Ann Budge is the Chairperson of an SPFL club. The lower leagues are part of the same organisation and she has a vote on their future (as we saw last week). Brighton are not members of the Football League and have no vote on what happens with them. It's not really his place to comment publicly on it whatever personal opinion he may have. It pretty logically extends anyway that if he's not in favour of relegation from the Premiership then the same principle would have to apply down the Leagues.

11 minutes ago, Rudolph Hucker said:

They're two different bodies in England.