Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

34 minutes ago, bad chad said:

If that's the case, what's the point of the lower leagues. 

You'll have to shut everything down until a vaccine is found, unless it can be shown on TV. 

There won't be any games at all. Social distancing doesn't stop at the Championship. It will include the Premiership too.

There won't be any closed door games or any games on TV no matter what league you're in if we're still under social distancing guidelines. 

What happened to the SPFL deal with sky & BT in 2012? Was it re-negotiated? I genuinely can’t remember but it’d go some way to giving an idea to how plausible any type of reconstruction would be now really

10 minutes ago, Mexico said:

What happened to the SPFL deal with sky & BT in 2012? Was it re-negotiated? I genuinely can’t remember but it’d go some way to giving an idea to how plausible any type of reconstruction would be now really

Just Sky from next season I think? Not sure about League Cup.

Just Sky from next season I think? Not sure about League Cup.

League Cup is Premier Sports for next season as is Scottish Cup alongside BBC. Top flight is Sky exclusive & I presume BBC will still carry Friday night Championship games.

I think the "four Old Firm games" thing is on pretty dodgy ground, if it exists at all, because at the start of a given season only three are guaranteed.

This means the SPFL has a financial incentive to ensure that two teams finish in the top 6, because either they would be in breach of contract for not "delivering" the fourth game, or there is a penalty clause already built in. They also have a further financial incentive to ensure both teams are in the same league for the duration of the contract, otherwise you don't even get the "guaranteed" three - hence the panic in 2012.

4 minutes ago, GNU_Linux said:

League Cup is Premier Sports for next season as is Scottish Cup alongside BBC. Top flight is Sky exclusive & I presume BBC will still carry Friday night Championship games.

The BBC's Championship deal was until the end of this season, although I suspect that because they've lost out on games this season that will be made up next season (whenever the next season may be).

I'm not sure how many games short they were of the 20. It must be near half because I remember a lot being announced in January/February.

1 hour ago, overthetop said:

I fear we won’t see a game with crowd present until 2021

12 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

There won't be any games at all. Social distancing doesn't stop at the Championship. It will include the Premiership too.

There won't be any closed door games or any games on TV no matter what league you're in if we're still under social distancing guidelines. 

There are two issues here. Firstly at what stage can football actually be PLAYED safely. That means all levels, from internationals to five a side kick abouts with your mates. If you arent allowed within 2m of a non family member then you are not playing football. Its a contact sport and cant be played with social distancing in place. No vaccine or herd immunity = no football. Or we test players before each game I suppose but thats a long way from being achievable too.

Secondly, if you can play football can you have a crowd at it? I'm no doctor but presumably if social distancing is removed enough to play football then some sort of crowd may be possible too. If on the other hand football gets played by testing players, you might be looking at closed door games. 

That then gives issues about paying players. You might find a lot more clubs going amateur / part time if it is a long term thing. Fundamentally football clubs get money from about 5 sources: League funding, gate receipts, commercial revenues around games (hospitality, shirt sponsors, adverts, etc), non playing commercial money (property rents, gyms, etc) and donated income (mainly owner funding). The problem is that closed doors, esp in the lower leagues, decimate that. You maybe still get the League funding which is mostly tv money but you have zero gate receipts. You have zero hospitality. Advertising is vastly reduced in value especially where tv coverage is limited. Sponsors may also have their own problems commercially surviving and wont have spare cash to throw at football. That also likely applies to donated / ownership funding and possibly also to non football commercial stuff. Gyms will not reopen quickly probably either for instance. 

Depending how long it goes on with no vaccine the entire face of the professional game could change. Hopefully nowhere near as bad as that. Football is our national game. Its important for the economy. Its important for mental health, its important for physical health. The Govt wont want it shut down long term but it isnt a life or death thing and will need to wait till its safe to restart. That may be something measured in months not weeks and it might be even longer before it returns to what we perceived as 'normal' before.

8 minutes ago, The Master said:

The BBC's Championship deal was until the end of this season, although I suspect that because they've lost out on games this season that will be made up next season (whenever the next season may be).

I'm not sure how many games short they were of the 20. It must be near half because I remember a lot being announced in January/February.

I thought it was another season yet but this is the only thing I can find on it and you are right. Seems the coverage of the Championship ends this season (well it's ended already really).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/46264663

7 minutes ago, stewartyftd1 said:

1.8 Million being released to 30 clubs today. How the f**k is that going to keep clubs afloat?

It really won't long term. Might see most through until furlough payments come through.

Yinited will get a decent wedge but thistle and QoS probably only get about 30-40k.

34 minutes ago, The Master said:

I think the "four Old Firm games" thing is on pretty dodgy ground, if it exists at all, because at the start of a given season only three are guaranteed.

This means the SPFL has a financial incentive to ensure that two teams finish in the top 6, because either they would be in breach of contract for not "delivering" the fourth game, or there is a penalty clause already built in. They also have a further financial incentive to ensure both teams are in the same league for the duration of the contract, otherwise you don't even get the "guaranteed" three - hence the panic in 2012.

I think the executives have mispoken a little bit, I don't think it'll be an official rule in the contract specifying the OF games but there will definitely be something in there about changing the structure of the league and that voiding the contract - that would change the value to the broadcasters so be perfectly reasonable to have in there from their perspective.

Not really sure what can really be done apart from just asking what the adjusted rate would be for another proposition. Don't recall seeing what the change in value was in 2012.

Edited by harry94

Guest Flash
32 minutes ago, The Master said:

The financial incentive would be for them both to finish in the same six - which could be the bottom 6.;)

28 minutes ago, jagfox99 said:

It really won't long term. Might see most through until furlough payments come through.

Yinited will get a decent wedge but thistle and QoS probably only get about 30-40k.

A lot less than that. As I said before, teams at the bottom of their leagues are due very little.

Why are clubs not getting the full prize money amount? 

The Daily Rangers was quoting this was what each Championship club would receive in prize money:

Ladbrokes Championship

1st - Dundee United - £562,500

2nd - Inverness CT - £475,000

3rd - Dundee - £400,000

4th - Ayr United - £325,000

5th - Arbroath - £250,000

6th - Dunfermline - £225,000

7th - Morton - £212,500

8th - Alloa - £200,000

9th - Queen of the South - £187,500

10th - Partick Thistle - £175,000

2 minutes ago, rb123! said:

The Daily Rangers was quoting this was what each Championship club would receive in prize money:

Ladbrokes Championship

3rd - Dundee - £400,000

7th - Morton - £212,500

8th - Alloa - £200,000

Were they not all paid the minimum amount, and what is now due is the balance based on final standings? 

5 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ladbrokes Championship

3rd - Dundee - £400,000

7th - Morton - £212,500

8th - Alloa - £200,000

These are totals for the season I think, and a good wedge of the sums you quote above will have already been paid out.

The £1.8M is just the outstanding amount.

Edited by MacArab

19 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Ladbrokes Championship

3rd - Dundee - £400,000

7th - Morton - £212,500

8th - Alloa - £200,000

We are, we have recieved two payments already.