Coronavirus and the Scottish Championship

31 minutes ago, rb123! said:

Real difficulty is going to be what the hell are clubs going to do in the summer with regards to contracts expiring and signing new players, how can any club know whether there's anypoint in signing a player in July if we aren't going to be playing until 2021

Yes, thats the next hurdle now the season is formally over. There are I suppose three categories of out of contract player:

- those their existing club wants to keep and earns less than £770 pw

- those their existing club wants to keep who earns more than £770 pw

- those their existing club doesnt want to keep.

All have their own issues but the easiest to deal with  be the first lot. If your existing club offers a new contract and you arent massively paid then its probably a case of asking where to sign. The furlough scheme allows for an extension of a fixed contract and will likely cover costs till we start playing ir at least for a while. They cant get a wage rise (or they can but furlough subsidy wont increase with it) and there may be issues if the club are still paying 100% of the wage in terms of running out of cash but generally such players might be ok.

Out of contract high earners are a bigger problem if the club still pays 100% because furlough isnt covering them anywhere near enough. If the player accepts max furlough thats fine but if not the club is going to have to decide the lesser of two evils, let him go, or continue to pay a large sum, nowhere near covered, for an uncertain period with no income coming in.

Players not wanted at their existing club are worst though. In theory they will become unemployed at 31 May / 9 June. The Govt doesnt want this though as it will leave them incomeless and falling through the cracks. I wouldnt be surprised to see the authorities come up with a scheme to allow such players to sign a short term extension of some sort to allow for continued furlough pay without it affecting the 3 clubs rule and with cancellation allowed when furloughing ends. That way it costs the clubs nothing and leaves players still getting an income. 

Its unlikely clubs will rush to sign many new players as they cant be furloughed and costs would need met in full. There could be more pre contracts I suppose but its going to be difficult for clubs who wont know when play is possible or what monies they will have left. 

It could be a right mess and we can only hope the situation is clearer by the end of May.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

35 minutes ago, Iain said:

Sure, but that could apply just as easily to Hearts. I’m assuming they will propose something they will vote for. Admittedly that may be an assumption too far.

Erm no it quite clearly doesn't because the default outcome established by yesterday's vote suits Hamilton and doesn't suit Hearts. So Ann Budge might feel the need to die on the hill of league reconstruction but nobody else on the panel is obliged to follow her.

Edited by vikingTON

54 minutes ago, VladimirMooc said:

Probably still us, given you still support an absolute no-mark club and have indeed have your ground “stolen” from you. 

:lol: "no-mark club"

I thought the whole point of Thistle was that they weren't like the OF.

2 hours ago, VladimirMooc said:

Probably still us, given you still support an absolute no-mark club and have indeed have your ground “stolen” from 

Well done VD mooch, you've probably won the biggest tear stained post of the day. 

🏆

Edited by Spring Onion
Spelling

7 hours ago, jagfox99 said:

I agree. The league also needs to bring in some level of financial fair play. The default champions are paying out more in wages than the club brought in through commercial, match day and broadcasting income.  This decision has saved their bacon for the time being at least. That strategy cant be sustainable for them or any other club going forward?

The issue now is the lack of match day income for all lower clubs. We've effectively had 25% of match day revenue removed with nothing to fill that gap.

It also looks like the SPFL won't be changing the Challenge Cup or League Cup which is understandable as they need every penny.

Says a guy who's team was fortunate enough to have a sugar daddy picking up the bills.

3 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Rangers and Hibs to vote it down. Book it.

Look forward to games against Hearts next season. Atmosphere should be feral.

Sounds fucking brilliant tbh. The best games are the ones with a bit of needle, without a doubt. 

Hopefully there is 90 mins of goading between the south enclosure and the Shankly stand before full on pitchside warfare between the Derry and TC Keay boys. 

3 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Yes, thats the next hurdle now the season is formally over. There are I suppose three categories of out of contract player:

All have their own issues but the easiest to deal with  be the first lot. If your existing club offers a new contract and you arent massively paid then its probably a case of asking where to sign. The furlough scheme allows for an extension of a fixed contract and will likely cover costs till we start playing ir at least for a while. They cant get a wage rise (or they can but furlough subsidy wont increase with it) and there may be issues if the club are still paying 100% of the wage in terms of running out of cash but generally such players might be ok.

Out of contract high earners are a bigger problem if the club still pays 100% because furlough isnt covering them anywhere near enough. If the player accepts max furlough thats fine but if not the club is going to have to decide the lesser of two evils, let him go, or continue to pay a large sum, nowhere near covered, for an uncertain period with no income coming in.

Players not wanted at their existing club are worst though. In theory they will become unemployed at 31 May / 9 June. The Govt doesnt want this though as it will leave them incomeless and falling through the cracks. I wouldnt be surprised to see the authorities come up with a scheme to allow such players to sign a short term extension of some sort to allow for continued furlough pay without it affecting the 3 clubs rule and with cancellation allowed when furloughing ends. That way it costs the clubs nothing and leaves players still getting an income. 

Its unlikely clubs will rush to sign many new players as they cant be furloughed and costs would need met in full. There could be more pre contracts I suppose but its going to be difficult for clubs who wont know when play is possible or what monies they will have left. 

It could be a right mess and we can only hope the situation is clearer by the end of May.

You reckon we could end up with squads very similar next season to this season with clubs and players playing safe by staying where they are for another year, obviously if they're still wanted by their club.

3 hours ago, JessieField said:

Says a guy who's team was fortunate enough to have a sugar daddy picking up the bills.

If you could give any examples of that, that would be great. Thank you.

Guest Flash
11 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Hopefully all of ours fall into the third category.

12 hours ago, rb123! said:

Tbh going by the latest depressing news my fears grow every day that we won't be returning to stadiums to watch our teams in August for the start of the new season. 

The way things are going it'll be 2021, I hope i'm wrong but it looks bleak with social distancing looking like it's going to be in place until there's a vaccine.

Got to agree with some of that though I'm not sure about the 2021 date, the Government and their advisors are explaining that it will be a gradual start up with the likes of hotels and pubs being way down the line so I would imagine that large gatherings in football and events may fall into that category. 

44 minutes ago, Snafu said:

Which happens at all levels of football either a business or an individual putting money into a football club it's nothing new. If there's investment and sustainability then it can't be a bad thing for a football club.

Financial Investors in football at any level will be hurting big style right now, there's no doubt they will be circling the wagons and pulling back on commitments where they can.

To many of them football has been a hobby where they could lose a few pounds and enjoy their five minutes of fame, but now the losses will be too close to home.

Thats always been likely. Its been said time and time again anyone who thinks we will kick a ball open door before August is in cuckoo land and it may be much later. There may also be subsequent second wave lockdowns too. Next season will still be a problem and actually reconstruction resulting in MORE games is probably really unwise.

I fear we won’t see a game with crowd present until 2021

21 minutes ago, overthetop said:

I fear we won’t see a game with crowd present until 2021

If that's the case, what's the point of the lower leagues. 

You'll have to shut everything down until a vaccine is found, unless it can be shown on TV.